Sign in to follow this  
ttmctoad

Chewing tobacco?

ttmctoad

Any chewing tobacco available in Cebu? Local or otherwise, full leaf, snuff, long cut, doesn't matter.

I searched "chewing tobacco" and found nothing.

Thanks,

Todd

Monsoon

Not sure about Cebu but it is available in select 'smoke' shops in Manila. Your best bet is to convert to Swedish Snus. American chewing tobacco will kill you, snus won't. Snus is available at a few places as well in NCR, but your best bet is to bring it with you. BTW - the american brands of "snus" are shit. Don't bother. Get it from sweden or don't bother. 

Edited by Monsoon

Half Baked

Not sure about Cebu but it is available in select 'smoke' shops in Manila. Your best bet is to convert to Swedish Snus. American chewing tobacco will kill you, snus won't. Snus is available at a few places as well in NCR, but your best bet is to bring it with you. BTW - the american brands of "snus" are shit. Don't bother. Get it from sweden or don't bother. 

huh? I wouldn't mind finding some good chewing tobacco to chomp on here in Cebu, either. 

Still dont know if I understand your post.

Monsoon

huh? I wouldn't mind finding some good chewing tobacco to chomp on here in Cebu, either. 

Still dont know if I understand your post.

Google, "Swedish snus" and then try "Swedish snus vs chewing tobacco" And read on. 

If we cross paths I'll be glad to let you try it. There is no comparison. Also, no disgusting spitting.

The fundamental difference is american chewing tobacco is fermented/cured. Swedish snus is not. Its only ingredients allowed by law are tobacco, water and other natural flavorings allowed to be added to food. Sweden has one of if not the lowest incidents of cancer in Europe, yet every other person there is using snus. 

By the way I have it shipped to me in both the US and Philippines. Philippines of course asks for some tax. The US doesn't bother me about it.

You can buy it retail in two places I know if in Makati. I don't know /doubt its available in Cebu unless you get in with the Swedish community? 

Edited by Monsoon

Monsoon

Also, I recommend you go with the 'portion' style of snus. This is like a skoal bandit in the US. Regular snus isn't as easy to pack as chewing tobacco in the states. You'll end up with a mouth full of Copenhagen like flakes all over the place. But if you get used to it, some people prefer traditional snus vs. the portion (bandit) type. 

By the way, I haven't picked up a cigarette in quite a while, 8 or 9 months thanks to Snus. The only time I want one is when I have a drink and snus takes away the craving every time. I used to smoke a LOT. I would wake up and want one. Not so with snus. I basically have two to three snus a day regularly. If out and partying and everyone is smoking around me I might have a few more. Call it a crutch, I don't care. Im not smoking anymore and have no desire to. 

• Like 1

Half Baked

Also, I recommend you go with the 'portion' style of snus. This is like a skoal bandit in the US. Regular snus isn't as easy to pack as chewing tobacco in the states. You'll end up with a mouth full of Copenhagen like flakes all over the place. But if you get used to it, some people prefer traditional snus vs. the portion (bandit) type. 

By the way, I haven't picked up a cigarette in quite a while, 8 or 9 months thanks to Snus. The only time I want one is when I have a drink and snus takes away the craving every time. I used to smoke a LOT. I would wake up and want one. Not so with snus. I basically have two to three snus a day regularly. If out and partying and everyone is smoking around me I might have a few more. Call it a crutch, I don't care. Im not smoking anymore and have no desire to. 

I've gone through the gambit of tobacco... chew, skoal, copenhagen, cigarettes, cigars..... Only puff a stogie now, from time to time.

I have NO clue what you are talking about when you say Snus.???

Been over 20 years that I gave up smoking the cigarettes. Longer than that for the Copenhagen.

Now, thinking about it.... I better wait a little bit longer before giving  those things a "try" again.

ttmctoad

Thanks for the info. I suspected that chewing tobacco wasn't readily available in Cebu or most of the Philippines for that matter.I remember guys buying a can of Copenhagen off-base at Subic Bay from time to time and it was way overpriced and usually stale. I'm going to investigate Snus..

Hopefully, I can break this habit before I move to Cebu.

Thanks Again,

Todd

Gerald

Not sure about Cebu but you can buy leaf tobacco on the streets here in Dumaguete.

streak03

I found Copenhagen at SM in Bacolod, it was sort of on the expensive side,300 peso per can. 

Panserhansen

Copenhagen and Skoal can be found cheapest at Kultura, SM for 300 peso a can. Add 100 and you can buy it also at several tobacco stalls in Ayala and Robinson's Fuente.

Swedish snus you can order online. They send with UPS and is delivered within 2-3 days. http://www.buysnus.com/ is one of the places you can order. You will usually be charged some taxes, but overall you should end up paying 270-300 a can incl taxes, depending on what brands you order.

BossHog

http://www.tabaqueria.com/ sells Copenhagen and Skoal. P 1498.75 per 5 tins.  Just under 7 bucks a tin. What does it cost stateside now? That's a good site to order Philippine cigars from too.

Also, some of the big American online tobacco retailers will ship here. You're going to get fresher quality chew that way but you may get stuck for duty. Best to have a friend stateside order and send you a roll of Cope or a ten count box of Red Man or whatever. Lil Brown Smoke Shack is the best online retailer for selection and price of chew/snuff. They even carry the old fashioned Cotton Boll plug. http://www.lilbrown.com/c-176-leaf-and-plug.aspx

I think the snus they're talking about is similar to something like W.E. Garrett Scotch Snuff if you're familiar with that.

Hopefully, I can break this habit before I move to Cebu.

Not time to quit! One of the great benefits of living here is our access to good quality leaf tobacco at great prices. You're in for a treat. There are huge amounts of quality virginia and burley tobaccos grown especially on Luzon. Dark native tobaccos too. There's at least one sari-sari store in almost any village in the country that will sell tobacco leaves individually or in threes..Ask them who their supplier is and arrange for him to visit you next time he comes through town. Ours visits weekly. Or just head to the biggest local market and ask around. Sometimes the bulk sellers lurk around the market since they don't pay tax and you gotta search them out.

I pay between 600-1000 pesos for a hundred leaves. Comes out to about two pounds.  Best tobacco is the virginia marked "AA" which is the export grade.  The best burley is graded 'A" and the best native/dark tobacco is graded 'M-1'. Don't bother buying anything less than C-grade virginia or burley and avoid the dark tobaccos, L-1 or L-2.

Making your own chew isn't hard at all: Get a big kettle and boil down a liter box of apple juice until about half the liquid or more is gone. Turn off the heat and add leaves cut to your preferred size. Coat the leaves in the apple syrup and add molasses to taste. Add a few pinches of salt. Tthe molasses made in the Philippines is very good if you buy the gallons right from the maker. It comes mostly from Negros sugarcane plantations. Anyways, tons of online recipes for preparing chew. You can experiment with adding flavors, too. My buddy from Texas used to chew the leaves straight up until I showed him how to cook a batch of chew and he's never looked back.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 2

BossHog

Funny coincidence occurred right after I typed the above post this morning:

I had a neighbour sharpen up some machetes for me and replace the wooden handles on two of them.

Not having any cash on hand when he came by he asked me If I'd give him some of my AA golden virginia. They retail in town for 25 pesos a leaf.

Tried to give him six leaves but he reckoned the job was worth five and that's what he took.

samatm

I gave up my Coppenhagen smokeless habit  14 years ago in Manila.   I could still find it..but it was harder and more expensive to find so I had my last dip on Dec 31st 1999.  I have only missed it occasionally after the rough initial weaning off period.     Moving here will give you a good reason to quit.   You of course can still find it as mentioned above..but its not in your face at every gas station and store.   NO regrets.   My wife wasn't happy though as we used to share the same spittoon. (just kidding if you are reading honey) 

Need some goal setting poster material:   plenty more at :   search google images  "smokeless tobacco effects"

post-3344-0-95928900-1385288089_thumb.jpg

Edited by samatm

ttmctoad

I pay between 600-1000 pesos for a hundred leaves. Comes out to about two pounds.  Best tobacco is the virginia marked "AA" which is the export grade.  The best burley is graded 'A" and the best native/dark tobacco is graded 'M-1'. Don't bother buying anything less than C-grade virginia or burley and avoid the dark tobaccos, L-1 or L-2.

Making your own chew isn't hard at all: Get a big kettle and boil down a liter box of apple juice until about half the liquid or more is gone. Turn off the heat and add leaves cut to your preferred size. Coat the leaves in the apple syrup and add molasses to taste. Add a few pinches of salt. Tthe molasses made in the Philippines is very good if you buy the gallons right from the maker. It comes mostly from Negros sugarcane plantations. Anyways, tons of online recipes for preparing chew. You can experiment with adding flavors, too. My buddy from Texas used to chew the leaves straight up until I showed him how to cook a batch of chew and he's never looked back.

Thanks BossHog. You've covered all the bases concerning my question. One less thing to worry about. Was not looking forward to paying for stale imported tobacco. Now I'm looking forward to learning how to make my own. I'm no connoisseur, really just need a tolerable, reasonably pleasant, nicotine delivery system.

• Like 1

BossHog

I wouldn't mind finding some good chewing tobacco to chomp on here in Cebu, either.

I could mail you a pouch of homemade chaw, E.B.

See how you like the stuff before going to the effort of making it yourself.