The First Time to Meet the Family

udonthani

they cant tell I dont bring it with me...it is the exact same stuff I would bring from the states...can be found at almost every major grocery store in Cebu...only it isnt all melted from ones travels...

when I bring chocolate from the states, it melts in transit...

when I bring chocolate from the UK it NEVER melts. And I bring thirty to forty kilos of the stuff over, every year. It is one of those things that is much cheaper (around 30%) in the UK than here.

the Philippines, just isn't hot enough. The only time I had a problem with chocolate was when I had a delay in Dubai for eighteen hours once, and my backpack that was packed solid full of the stuff, was stood in some hangar in the daytime and subject to temperatures higher than 35 degrees. And even that, didn't trash it all. Only the easier to melt chocolate items.

in the Philippines, it almost never gets as hot as that and those crucial few degrees, make all the difference. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quit_yume

• Wolfpack

• Paul

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought a bunch of water guns and beach toys...I handed out the water guns to the family as I met them, small family membes got little ones...I gave her father a "big soaker"...the family then blew u

I was VERY nervous meeting my fiancées family the 1st time.................. for me not for them.   I was worried about many people asking many questions. I was worried about being a stranger in the

You don't have to spend a lot of money. But, I would take Pasalubong with you when you go meet the family. The gifts do not have to be fancy, or costly. But, definitely take some, no matter what she i

Posted Images

• Admin (Retired)
broden

far as chocolate always brought giant bags of mixed miniatures .. always went over big

and things that had something to do with where i was from

• Like 1
quit_yume

i want to stay at nice places because its vacation for me...  i realize i have to be more modest in this situation and i will do that.. but once we are away from her family i will upgrade to some better places

Edited by quit_yume
  • Like 1
Wolfpack

I always carried chocolate in my carry on, when going to the Philippines. I never had any to melt.

Just two different experiences.

my wife wanted chocolate covered strawberries...so I brought them in my carry on...by the time I saw my wife at the air port in cebu...she had chocolate covered strawberry soup...

Wolfpack

I always carried chocolate in my carry on, when going to the Philippines. I never had any to melt.

most recently, someone brought me salt water taffy from the jersey shore...it was a sticky melted messs when he arrived with it here in cebu...

My fiancee suggests just giving gifts to the parents for the first meeting.

I suggest also being prepared for an "interview" by all the family members present. It seems no question is too personal during the interview. However vague answers at accepted, ex: how much money do you make? Answer: Probably more than the average Filipino but the cost of living is quite high in my country so its really not an apples to apples comparison.

I think that answer stressed their limited English and the matter was not pressed further.

Filipinos seem to be embarrassed if they don't quite understand what you say so they just nod as if they do understand.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

My fiancee suggests just giving gifts to the parents for the first meeting.

I suggest also being prepared for an "interview" by all the family members present. It seems no question is too personal during the interview. However vague answers at accepted, ex: how much money do you make? Answer: Probably more than the average Filipino but the cost of living is quite high in my country so its really not an apples to apples comparison.

The correct answer to that question is, "Walla, I like to ask if I can borrow some." 

• Like 2
miles-high

Its melting point depends on the cocoa content… 75 to 85% being probably the best chocolate (Godiva) but my experience is that it is least preferred by most Filipinas… they appear to like the one that melts right away in their mouth… ;)

Best if you buy them at the airport duty free store (more expensive) or at least keep them in your carry-on, as the checked luggage may be exposed to higher temperature during loading/unloading…

• Like 1
SkyMan

Don't spend much on gifts for a dozen folks you know. 100 peso gifts for each is sufficient. I'd give mom a bottle of perfume and dad a pocket knife. Or something in that price range.

That's what I did only shampoo instead of perfume.
  • Like 1

Re Toblerone-  the size of bar that I bought in Vancouver duty free for 155 pesos can be bought in the local supermarket here for 90 pesos 

Exactly my reasoning too,  why people suggesting carting chocolates from other side of the world?

• Like 2
SkyMan

Good girl at playing down the wealth. She's not only doing you a big favor but also herself. And she knows them better than you.

• Like 1
mikejwoodnz

I took my, about to be, wife's family to Mcdonalds at the Mall, feed them and gave them all a 500 peso note each to spend @ the mall than went back to my hotel and left them to it. Mama still shafted me tho by insisting on hiring the neighbor and his car (paid for by me) to travel there and back in "style". 

• Like 1
miles-high

Exactly my reasoning too, why people suggesting carting chocolates from other side of the world?

It's the thought that counts... hehe ;)

when I bring chocolate from the UK it NEVER melts. And I bring thirty to forty kilos of the stuff over, every year. It is one of those things that is much cheaper (around 30%) in the UK than here.

Forty kilos?  Thats a whole heap of Mars Bars.  Still 30% cheaper after your freight costs to whatever location.   I doubt it.   :ROFLMAO:  

I bought HERSEY Party Bags Individually Wrapped.  I kept it in the Freezer for like 2 weeks before the Flight.   The a.m. of the Flight I wrapped them in news paper and then into a small soft cooler, then into Back-Pack.  about 96 hours they were not frozen but NOT MELTED either.  They went CRAZY and kept saying HERSEY's!!!

• Like 1