Is my cycle acting up...?

ILoveCyrus

Hi guys, me again (ignoy)...hahaha

So my Honda TMX is a great bike.  I do regular oil changes and tune ups.  The spark plug looks rusty outside but I'm sure it still fires up.

Problems:

1. backfiring as I release the throttle on high end...not loud backfiring, but backfiring none-the-less

2. when engine is cold, I have the hardest time going on 1st gear.  When I engage 1st, it kills the engine, I kick start, try again in 1st gear and kills the engine again.  This ONLY happens when engine is cold.  When engine is HOT, not a problem at all.

So my solutions is to warm the engine for 5 mins and then.........get going???  I know this is a minor thing, but it is just ANNOYING when you kill the engine 3-5 times before you can get going.  People around me may think I'm a FOOL...lol

What's your suggestions???  Bike is model 2011.....only 2 years old.

jtmwatchbiz

in any gasoline engine, back firing is most often caused by an exhaust leak up near the port area. as far as cold stalling when going into gear, it's probably due to a combo of cold/too thick clutch oil and/or clutch adjustment. both sound like minor issues and nothing to stress over.  

• Like 1

Put a new plug in it and a good carb clean and adjustment. I had one that did the same thing and this fixed it.

Scottiev

I'd say a new plug , clean your air filter( the pollution here will clog filters fast)..also sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaging , a couple of turns on the clutch cable adjusters and should eliminate the stalling in first problem.

I don't know what modern bikes have these days but 40 years ago if my bike did that I would look at the timing it might be a little off

jtmwatchbiz

while some members mention ignition issues such as spark plugs or timing in respect to back firing, when an engine backfires upon deceleration the throttle plate is closed thus for enough oxygen to be introduced into the exhaust to create a back fire from the idle circuit of the carburetor an exhaust leak near the port area and upper exhaust section is usually the culprit :)  

• Like 3
thebob

That backfire is almost certainly the exhaust pipe gasket. Or the carb mounting damper. Either way it's a 20 peso fix. If it isn't then the CDI socket would be the next place I would look at. I recently replaced the CDI on a TMX for 180 peso, so don't worry too much.

Spark plugs are so cheap that I usually change mine every year, and carry the known working old one in the tool kit.

The gear selection problem, if you are sure it isn't operator error, is called clutch binding.

Make sure you have enough free play in the cable. Make sure the drive chain is properly adjusted. Change the oil. Just normal MC use oil it only needs 1 liter.

The next part is worth taking it to a dealer to troubleshoot because it is so new.

If that doesn't fix it you are going to have to pull the clutch off. Don't panic, it isn't a big job, and even at a dealer it won't cost you so much. I'd guess it is either weak springs, notches in the clutch basket, or notched "fingers" on the clutch plates.

Generally TMX clutches are really robust, so I expect once it's opened then it will be a bad assembly problem.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 1
ILoveCyrus

Btw, are you using your choke when you cold start?

Huh....what's that? Ignoy

It

Huh....what's that? Ignoy

its when you reach the point where you're so pissed off you choke that bitch!

just in case... A choke is usually a lever on carbureted bikes that assist cold starting. Couldn't help with your model but make be someone else could chime in.

SkyMan

I know an air leak can cause backfire as well as carb mixture. My Steed had a backfire on deceleration and I could adjust the carb to get rid of it but then my gas mileage suffered so I lived with it.