Why I loved living in Cebu

MattFromGA

Scottiev

How do you get a tax refund without paying taxes? Never heard of that one.

cant link the site..look up EIC tax..earned income credits..she made less than 4k/yr and was awarded the right to claim the children by the courts as she was the primary guardian..paid a few hundred intaxes got a few thousand back.. i know, i saw the returns after my kids got old enough to demand to come live with me... its a crazy thing for sure..forgot to add on the 1600/mth child support but thats not really a govt. program other than it is auto deducted from my pay if she even once went on the public dole..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MattFromGA

• Sven

• tomaw

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I went to Cebu I was still recovering from a nasty divorce, so adding some distance relieved lots of stress.  I had a business there and for a while it was going well, but over time it was hard t

Very good thread.   Always trying to earn and consume more, "catch up and get ahead", that is precisely what is ruining the lives for hundreds of millions of people in Western countries, in my opin

Keep up the good work Matt, someone has to work hard and pay those big taxes to help support all of us retired guys living on SS.     

Posted Images

MattFromGA

Would you please elaborate what an American citizen can leach off the system?

Lets say you work a low paying job because you "skated through life" as a "slacker".  Now you are leaching off the system because you don't contribute as much as you could have it you had you act together.  To some Europeans this person may be a productive citizen, but in America a slacker is a loser who isn't contributing at 110%.

Anything less than a citizen giving 110% to earning and consuming is a slacker loser who leaches off the rest of us.

At least that is the mentality I am trying to outline in this post.  Some will understand and some will not.

• Like 2
MattFromGA

Possible solution: Stop trying to impress... And stop chasing women who are after material goods.

Tell that to the family court judge.  In divorce with children involved, once you raise the bar, the bar is not lowered.  If you impress at a level 4, the judge will force you to continue to impress at level 4.  If one Christmas you impress at a level 5 and the x-wife is a bitch about it, she can go to the judge and say "see he can impress at level 5" and the judge will force you to continue to impress at level 5 for the remaining period.  If for a month or so you can only impress at a level 2, you will be forced to impress at a level 7 for a few months later to make up for it.

Some will get it, some will not.

MattFromGA

How do you get a tax refund without paying taxes? Never heard of that one. 

LOL -  :ROFLMAO:

You are joking right?  Maybe you are not from the USA and I didn't check your profile first.  Tax credits are a back door welfare.  If Obama care happens, think of the health insurance subsidy paid by the Feds with tax credit as another form of welfare.

I pay $1400 a month in health insurance so that someone else can pay nothing.  I should sell t-shirts for the poor to buy to support the cause.

MattFromGA

Sorry guy but i'm losing my temper.

Not only are you going off topic from the OP, you totally misinterpret the meaning of the post you are quoting.

There is a hyper work mentality in the USA that says you have to work hard to try and become rich, and that anything less than that and you are some type of loser.

In my original post I made it clear that I wanted to avoid the pressure to work like that but that there is a pressure here to work like that.

If you are 12 or 70 then you are not counted because the entire premise of this mindset is that you are in your prime work age too.

Just relax.  Isn't cannabis fairly easy to find there in the UK?  

• Like 1

The health insurance thing is just another example of that

Check this out

http://www.thehealthsherpa.com/

those people are your wife and kids

Gotta be financially secure for the kids. Screw the rest of it. All kids really want is for the parents to be there. Disconnect the tubes- two hours a day absolute max.

I think a lot of the problems of the world are there because men try to impress or satisfy women. Then of course, whatever men do, women raise the bar.

Possible solution: Stop trying to impress... And stop chasing women who are after material goods.

....... I think it was Donald Trump that said '' If I was single I would be happy in a one bedroom apartment.'' Edited by tomaw

You and RainyMike have similar threads and are both a refreshing change from the bitch and moan crowd that we usually get in this forum.

smokey

You and RainyMike have similar threads and are both a refreshing change from the bitch and moan crowd that we usually get in this forum.

yes because its what you want to hear...  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
JohnFromTexas

Explain for those of us not living in the USA. How a family, say of 4 can survive with tax credit only? Throw in the food stamps if you want. What else? With all du respect, you pay health insurance of 1400 a month for you and your family to a private health organization that does not fix the price according to whether or not others have or have not insurance. Because they don't cover those who don't. You do it for better coverage for you and your family, not to contribute to the coverage of the uninsured. Right?  

Rent -- Paid

Electric -- paid

obamaphone -- free

Food -- food stamps

Income - unemployment til it runs out (if you had a job), welfare or disability after.  Welfare rules have now been changed so that you once again no longer have to actually try to better yourself to get it... disability has been made much easier to get based on psychological issues that keep you from working that are pretty easy to fake or fake medical issues such as pain that can't be tested for.  There are actually several clinics/doctors under investigation for rubber stamping disability claims.

Extra income -- CASH under the table baby -- you make some money on the side and don't report it (wouldn't want to lose your benefits).

Medical -- free (Medicaid)

You can 100% survive in the US without working if you are satisfied with living a fairly simple life such as most retirees do here in the philippines.  There are just no benefits of young beautiful women and cheap beer like here :)

It's very frustrating to those of us who actually work, not because we mind helping people who actually need it, but because we know we're paying for people who CHOOSE not to work.  Where I live I listen to some morning talk shows on my way TO WORK, and a lovely lady was nice enough to call in and explain how it all works... and she had ZERO guilt and was very honest that she could work but she had no desire to, and why would she give up making a MILLION over the course of her life in benefits in order to work at a job where she likely would live a similar lifestyle based on her earning potential (limited).

The bigger issue is that the system is not financially sustainable and the whole world is going to get crushed sometime in the next 5-20 years when it collapses and makes 2008 look like fecking chump change.  Our debt/deficit levels are completely unsustainable and there's no good political solution.  The conservatives -- half are straight up politicians who could care less about the issues than maintaining their position, the other half seem clueless on how to explain the situation to people or get past the other side... which is happy to watch the world burn as long as it means right now they can maintain their power.  Without their goodies to give out to the proles, no one would support them except a minority of well intentioned ultraliberals like my best friend who know all the negatives of what's going on but want to make excuses for why it's ok to keep going as we are... and they'd sooner be shot dead than vote republican... but half the time I don't blame them based on the stupidity of the republicans (ie, the pointless, doomed shutdown, evangelical morons who basically want a theocracy, etc).  My personal viewpoint is libertarian which is one reason I'm fond of the RP -- but barring some major change the libertarians just aren't a force in the US.  

I guess what I'm saying is enjoy the next few years before the world goes into the shitter in what is almost predestiny :)  One reason I'm not trying to get back to the philippines despite how I feel about where things are going is the last thing I think you want to be is a foreigner in the philippines when the shit goes down.  I mean seriously guys do you not think the kanos and expats are going to be the first to go down when the world goes to hell?

This all obviously presumes that we don't do it to ourselves through warfare first :)  

In some ways the leeches may be the smartest... enjoying life while they can.  When there's no one paying for them to live anymore when the system crashes it's not going to be very safe in the US either.  Luckily the government's arming up it's civilian forces with billions of rounds of ammo and military grade equipment to keep us in line.

Shit I think I just talked myself into needing some Red Horse... well really a blunt would be much better but when in Rome...

I guess what I'm saying is enjoy the next few years before the world goes into the shitter in what is almost predestiny :) One reason I'm not trying to get back to the philippines despite how I feel about where things are going is the last thing I think you want to be is a foreigner in the philippines when the shit goes down. I mean seriously guys do you not think the kanos and expats are going to be the first to go down when the world goes to hell?

I feel safe here because...

Filipinos are used to surviving on very little. Even those with some success and resources are familiar with basic life in the provinces.

I'm even getting used to it myself. After some travel in the RP, now I don't mind living a bit rough once in a while.

But I'd guess many in the US or Europe would go mad if they lost their material benefits.

So in the case of a severe meltdown, Filipinos would probably just continue to sing and laugh, business as usual.

Besides, by living here, I'm saving tons of money... Actual savings and investments which could come in handy for a rainy day.

Of course I'm diversified, not putting all eggs in one basket.

I'm also busy making Filipino friends, learning the language, etc.

Overall I'm feeling safer here than I did in Europe.

MattFromGA

yes because its what you want to hear...  

He said he wanted to know there were aliens in Cebu and was hoping they would take him back to the planet.  Given that is the news he reads on the site, his appreciation of a different song other than the broken record is kind of like saying "I've eaten eggs and rice for breakfast every single day for years, but having that biscuit and gravy was a refreshing change".  Its not that he secretly wished for biscuits and gravy all those years or that he hates eggs and rice, just that its a refreshing change from the same old same old.

Not everyone lives up to your bitter outlook.

JohnFromTexas

I feel safe here because...

Filipinos are used to surviving on very little. Even those with some success and resources are familiar with basic life in the provinces.

I'm even getting used to it myself. After some travel in the RP, now I don't mind living a bit rough once in a while.

But I'd guess many in the US or Europe would go mad if they lost their material benefits.

So in the case of a severe meltdown, Filipinos would probably just continue to sing and laugh, business as usual.

Besides, by living here, I'm saving tons of money... Actual savings and investments which could come in handy for a rainy day.

Of course I'm diversified, not putting all eggs in one basket.

I'm also busy making Filipino friends, learning the language, etc.

Overall I'm feeling safer here than I did in Europe.

Never been to Europe... no place is really safe.  My comment really wasn't on life in the philippines in general... I was talking about a real meltdown scenario not some kind of recession.  I'm talking about a situation where all the imports and exports stop and things become scarce... like the hurricane that just hit, but all the philippines and no one coming to save the day.... this country doesn't produce enough food to feed itself as far as I know... I could be wrong on that ;)  It would probably depend on what island you are on too how you fared... some islands are more self sufficient than others :)  and I'm not even saying your friends, family or close neighbors would be the ones to turn on you, but as in any country when the shit hits the fan there is a segment of the population that is going to do whatever it takes to survive... and I just wonder if the first thing they wouldn't do is target the kanos in that situation.  In that situation your money means nothing... granted it's a pretty drastic scenario :)  Sorry I spend too much time thinking :)

As far as saving, I don't know it used to be cheaper here it's not as much lately you can live cheap most places if you're willing to live simply and sacrifice.. but that's a whole other debate that's been gone over here so many times ;)

I'm happy to be back here for a while it'd be nice to split time between here and the US but I couldn't deal with the plane flights ;)  If you could just take a 3 or 4 hour flight like any other place in the continental us to get here, I'd probably be here multiple times a year visiting :)  If only we could find a way to drag the philippine islands closer to the us.... ;)  it'd be so much more convenient.

Alfred E. Neuman

"They don't know what they got til it's gone..". -Carol King

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive post.

Some days it's hard to find a single sober smile in the US.

Unless it's your Filipina.  or someone with an angle.  

A persistently positive outlook prevails; especially in the province. 

'You are the one who must change that, sir'.