• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MattFromGA

• smokey

• Sven

• tomaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I went to Cebu I was still recovering from a nasty divorce, so adding some distance relieved lots of stress.  I had a business there and for a while it was going well, but over time it was hard t

Very good thread.   Always trying to earn and consume more, "catch up and get ahead", that is precisely what is ruining the lives for hundreds of millions of people in Western countries, in my opin

Keep up the good work Matt, someone has to work hard and pay those big taxes to help support all of us retired guys living on SS.     

Posted Images

Skywalker

When I went to Cebu I was still recovering from a nasty divorce, so adding some distance relieved lots of stress.

Thanks for that.

• Like 1

When I went to Cebu I was still recovering from a nasty divorce, so adding some distance relieved lots of stress.  I had a business there and for a while it was going well, but over time it was hard to keep it going and I started missing things back in the USA.  Eventually I went back and brought my family with me.  Overall it was the right choice for my family, but I can feel the stress of trying to "get rich" building up again.

When I came back I swore I wouldn't get caught up in the rat race and for a while I didn't, but reality of living in the USA is that for a guy like me we get sucked into the race.  Now I am running on the rat wheel again, trying hard to make lots of money to "catch up and get ahead".  After all, isn't that what all good Americans are trying to do?  Anything less and you're a dead-beat loser looking to leach off the system, right?

Living in Cebu gave me an easy chance to find some type of balance.  I had a 12 inch tube TV in Cebu mostly for the maids.  Here, after a couple of years we got sucked into the 50" lcd, and now I see how it consumes us as I expected it would.  In Cebu it was easier to find a couple of hours to go hang out at the carenderia and have a snack and beer.  Now I'm back to feeling so busy that getting a haircut is too time consuming.

Some how for me Cebu was a little bit easier, a little bit slower, a lot less stressful, and it just washed over me in a way that just isn't that easy to explain.

I guess there is a bit of that grass is greener on the other side of the fence when you stay in one place for a while you miss the other.

Keep up the good work Matt, someone has to work hard and pay those big taxes to help support all of us retired guys living on SS.  :thumbsup:   

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Keep up the good work Matt, someone has to work hard and pay those big taxes to help support all of us retired guys living on SS.  :thumbsup:   

Ditto. Mine starts next year... 

Very good thread.

Always trying to earn and consume more, "catch up and get ahead", that is precisely what is ruining the lives for hundreds of millions of people in Western countries, in my opinion.

The more you earn, the more you consume. There is never much resources to spare... Indeed, at every level, you'll even need to borrow to be able to afford all the "must haves".

Unfortunately, it is a never ending race... because someone else is always going to be even further ahead, whichever way you measure your "progress".

Even if you should one day earn a billion... there will be someone else who earns two billions.

Or if you get a yacht ... next day you will meet someone with two yachts.

In the end it is a wasted life, and often a short and sad one because it involves stress and little free time.

I think it essentially comes down to CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.

For my part... I like to think I gave that up a few years ago. I changed a number of things, it was not easy and not done overnight... but I'm happy with the outcome.

One does not have to move to the tropics to make this kind of change. I did it while still in Europe.

My first step, and a rather important one when I look back, was getting rid of the TV.

I think TV plays a major role in enforcing the type of thinking you'll wish to escape. That is before even considering the amount of time it consumes.

Time - the most valuable asset of all.

• Like 4

How we spend our time and who we spend our time with probably has as much to do with our outlook on life as where we spend it. Way too much of my time currently is spent in a job I really don't like just to get a hand to mouth existence for my wife and I. In Cebu I spent all my time with my GF ( that is now my wife) and her friends (which were all young and female) going to the beachs during day, malls and discos at night, having the absolute blast of my life! Ya, that might have something to do with why I miss Cebu. LOL!!! But l I still have my wife and value the time we spend together regardless of where we live.

Edited by tomaw
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Well guess I was lucky. It didn't make me rich but I loved my job. They had to force me to retire, Hell even after I retired, I voluntarily agreed to go back on active duty for a dream assignment in Alaska. I was retired and back to work the next day as if nothing had happened.

• Like 1
MattFromGA

The thing is I love my work and I did my work while in Cebu too, I just didn't get paid much for it in the end.

What seems to happen is that expectations from yourself and others start to rise, which creates a pressure.  It is easy to get caught up into expensive obligations without much choice over it.  

I know people talk about the pressure from the wife's family for support while on the ground, but for me it was never the same kind of thing at all and not nearly the same level of pressure as "life in the USA".  That is for a working man's perspective anyway.

The health insurance thing is just another example of that.  First my insurance was 650 a month, then it was 780, now if I want a little better but not much I'm looking at $1400 a month as quoted by BCBS, the same company I am with now.  Yay, another reason to work harder than before.

MattFromGA

I think it essentially comes down to CARING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.

But sometimes those people are your wife and kids.  Sometimes its myself putting pressure on myself due to somehow having a different value system when in the USA.

• Like 1
lifeisgood

Yay, another reason to work harder than before.

The US economy is the biggest economy in the world because of this type of pressure.  It is fueled more by women than men.  Imagine if men didn't care about women.  haha  

Edited by lifeisgood
battleborn

Getting unemployment $$$.  Then making it your lifestyle instead of looking for work.

• Like 1
Scottiev

Would you please elaborate what an American citizen can leach off the system? Besides food stamps? 

Lets see what did my ex get..housing assistance paid just about all her rent , then as a finally touch a LOAN that let her buy a 3 br/3bth house for all of $170/mth

energy assistance( basically paid her electric bills)

$1/mth cell phone ( iPhone with ALL the extras call waiting/forwarding , unlimited calls/text/internet)

free medical/dental

food stamps

a federal tax return of several thousand $ even though she never paid taxes..nice touch there..gaaahhhh

I'm sure theres a couple more i forgot, figured it all out once and it was about $45,000 equivelent while on public assistance..no wonder she never looked for a job

• Like 3

When I went to Cebu I was still recovering from a nasty divorce, so adding some distance relieved lots of stress.  I had a business there and for a while it was going well, but over time it was hard to keep it going and I started missing things back in the USA.  Eventually I went back and brought my family with me.  Overall it was the right choice for my family, but I can feel the stress of trying to "get rich" building up again.

When I came back I swore I wouldn't get caught up in the rat race and for a while I didn't, but reality of living in the USA is that for a guy like me we get sucked into the race.  Now I am running on the rat wheel again, trying hard to make lots of money to "catch up and get ahead".  After all, isn't that what all good Americans are trying to do?  Anything less and you're a dead-beat loser looking to leach off the system, right?

Living in Cebu gave me an easy chance to find some type of balance.  I had a 12 inch tube TV in Cebu mostly for the maids.  Here, after a couple of years we got sucked into the 50" lcd, and now I see how it consumes us as I expected it would.  In Cebu it was easier to find a couple of hours to go hang out at the carenderia and have a snack and beer.  Now I'm back to feeling so busy that getting a haircut is too time consuming.

Some how for me Cebu was a little bit easier, a little bit slower, a lot less stressful, and it just washed over me in a way that just isn't that easy to explain.

I guess there is a bit of that grass is greener on the other side of the fence when you stay in one place for a while you miss the other.

Great thoughts you've posted here, Matt. Agreed that discovering the Philippines was a great way to alleviate the after effects of a marriage gone sour. Between the bountiful basket of lovlies, the tropical climate and the newness of it all, I can honestly say my first trip over was the best adventure of my life. I am addicted to the place although there's much I dislike about it as well.

You're right in that the mentality of those in the US is entirely different than those in the Phils and other countries. A lot of that is due to just keeping you're head above water. You just better like what you're doing or life is gonna suck. Consider yourself under constant surveillance with the invention of an endless stream of electronic toys that don't miss anything you say or do. There's a lot the US has compared to the rest of the world but more freedom isn't one of them. 

The Philippines is certainly more laid back and a great place to retreat to in the middle of a cold, dark, icy nasty ass winter. Ultimately I hope to winter there each year and come back to the US when the grass is green again. 

Edited by Hamm

The US economy is the biggest economy in the world because of this type of pressure. It is fueled more by women than men. Imagine if men didn't care about women. haha

I think a lot of the problems of the world are there because men try to impress or satisfy women. Then of course, whatever men do, women raise the bar.

Possible solution: Stop trying to impress... And stop chasing women who are after material goods.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Would you please elaborate what an American citizen can leach off the system? Besides food stamps? 

Lets see what did my ex get..housing assistance paid just about all her rent , then as a finally touch a LOAN that let her buy a 3 br/3bth house for all of $170/mth

energy assistance( basically paid her electric bills)

$1/mth cell phone ( iPhone with ALL the extras call waiting/forwarding , unlimited calls/text/internet)

free medical/dental

food stamps

a federal tax return of several thousand $ even though she never paid taxes..nice touch there..gaaahhhh

I'm sure theres a couple more i forgot, figured it all out once and it was about $45,000 equivelent while on public assistance..no wonder she never looked for a job

How do you get a tax refund without paying taxes? Never heard of that one.