Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Okay, who lives with you?

Who lives with YOU? (For members who are married / in live in relationships).  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who resides with you and your Filipino spouse / live in (including any children)?

• We live alone.
    • Just us and our immediate children.
    • We have one to two family members living with us.
    • We have three to five family members living with us.
    • We have more than five family members living with us.
    • We have the whole extended family living with us, including grand children!
  2. 2. Are you okay / happy with the (extended) family living with you?

• Very happy! I wouldn't have it any other way!
    • Moderately happy. Sometimes, though, I wish we lived alone.
    • I wish the family lived elsewhere.
    • N/A: No family living with us.

Lee

And that is yet another reason why we love living in a high rise condo complex, most of my wife's family are afraid of heights, very intimidated by a condo complex and do not wish to use elevators. We have had few even come to visit us which is more than okay with me. Our home/condo unit is MY place of peace and quiet and yes I am an ahole.  :as-if:  I love most of my wife's family but I would rather visit them than have them visit us.

Anyone else's family afraid of heights?

• Like 4

Skywalker

Our home/condo unit is MY place of peace and quiet and yes I am an ahole. 

Nope you're not an ahole.  A man's house IS his castle.  A man's job is to husband his wife and kids.  Anything else is just noise.   :rose:

• Like 5

Paddy

There's no option for "We get descended upon on a fairly regular basis but noone really stays much longer than overnight"

goldote

I'm going ahead with the walkig thing.

Do you think it will be the next big thing?

I, of course, never mistep. 

Half staffed butlers...sounds like a new freak show.

Maybe....eunuchs on youtube....that also sounds trendy.

BossHog

Being an uber laid-back kind of guy it's not in my character to "lay down the law".

My only two unbreakable rules are that we aren't moving off the island or to another country and...

No one is allowed in the house. Ever. Just the wife and kids. And me.

Not our workers. Not tradesmen. Not my in-laws. Not my visiting American relatives.

We have another building on the property with beds and kitchen and cr to host visitors as long as we want them to stay. Have another to entertain casual visitors through the day.

Because of this I end up doing more housework than I'd prefer but no one outside the nuclear unit crosses the threshold.

Not even the pet turtles. Snakes have slithered in and they got whacked with a piece of lumber for their effort. Same goes for humans.

Idiosyncratic? Yes. Supremely peaceful? Absolutely.

• Like 9

HTM

I basically live alone with my daughter and two students I sponsor.
This month also my daughter's mother live here.

• Like 1

mikewright

We have usually had family members staying with us in Australia. At first, mother-in-law, then brother- and sisters-in-law, staying for six months at a time. Then relatives visiting while travelling around Australia as tourists. In later years, nephews, nieces, grand nephews etc that we sponsored as students.

Absolutely no regrets, although my wife often stressed over the students, who usually acted as students do in their first year at University, caused a few grey hairs. Mother-in-law was awesome, but after 6 months wanted to go back home to the Philippines, she missed her family and friends.  Sisters-in-law were great to have around, made for a lively household, a lot of fun and helped my wife a lot with household chores. I was spoilt rotten. Brother-in-law was great around the house, painted the house for us, helped set up the garden, etc. The students were great for our daughter, like having older brothers and sisters around.

Peaceful? No. Dull? Never.

• Like 4

Mr. Mike

With the exception of my dogs, I pretty much live alone, and it works wonderfully for me. Except....when my daughter opens the gates of hell and decides to grace my doorstep with her pouty, my-social-life-sucks-and-I-want-to kill-myself problems.

To which I say..."What's new?"

rainymike

I think bosshog's post pretty much sums up my point of view as well.

• Like 1

Humboldt

wife has lots of her sexy outfits , she hands down

to sister ,daughter ,niece , student helper

from the back they all look alike ,have to be careful

what butt I'm pinching .. lol

• Like 1

thebob

It's kind of complicated. We have 2 locations, the resto and the turkey ranch. I live with my GF in the resto, and Mama, her youngest son/daughter (32) lives on the turkey ranch with one of the cousins (11) that we are putting through school. At any time there can be up 35 different family members visiting at a time.

If I stay at the ranch, then we leave someone in the resto. So it's very flexible.

miles-high

It’s kind of complicated, too... ;) We have 2 condos, one centrally located, the other in the burbs, about 1 hour apart (20 minutes on Sundays ). We sometimes live together here or there, sometimes we live separately – we keep our drivers busy. ;)

Two of her aunts/cousins live in foreign countries and when they make quick trips to Manila, they sometimes stay with her in the burbs condo but only every few months or so and a few days at a time… We seldom see any other relatives of hers, once a year or even less – I guess they live in their own worlds… :D

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 1

RogerDuMond

's kind of complicated. We have 2 locations, the resto and the turkey ranch.

Ours is somewhat similar. We built a second small house out back near where the animals are kept. The sister-in-law and her 3 kids live there. She handles things like getting animal feed when needed or if I need to get something and don't feel like driving to get it she will go. She also loosely supervises help when the wife is in the US. The best thing about her living out there is it keeps the mother-in-law out of this house. My wife tossed her mother out of the house for, lets say, doing things without asking first. She is welcome now to stop by and eat if she wishes, but if she wants to stay overnight, it has to be out back with my sister-in-law. Personally I just stay out of the family dynamics and Dalia insulates me from it. So no one other than us stays in the main house except for special occasions when other siblings of Dalia's come out for gatherings and we throw a bunch of extra mattresses on the floor in the living rooms for the night. I am happy with that living situation as it doesn't interfere with what I want to do, yet someone is available if I need something

• Like 1

NOSOCALPINOY

Wala! Nada! Zip! Zero! The "Gravy Train" has stopped it's operations indefinitely!  

• Like 6