Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Okay, who lives with you?

Who lives with YOU? (For members who are married / in live in relationships).  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who resides with you and your Filipino spouse / live in (including any children)?

• We live alone.
    • Just us and our immediate children.
    • We have one to two family members living with us.
    • We have three to five family members living with us.
    • We have more than five family members living with us.
    • We have the whole extended family living with us, including grand children!
  2. 2. Are you okay / happy with the (extended) family living with you?

• Very happy! I wouldn't have it any other way!
    • Moderately happy. Sometimes, though, I wish we lived alone.
    • I wish the family lived elsewhere.
    • N/A: No family living with us.

Paul

This Poll is the brain child of KennyF. Thanks, mate, for coming up with it.

I added the second question as a follow up to the first.

Thanks,

NOTE: If someone only votes in the poll, but does not reply, that will cause the poll to "bump", as though someone replied to the thread. So, please do not think there is something wrong with the software, when you see this thread showing "new replies".

EDIT 1: Added the "N/A" option as a choice for the second question. 

EDIT 2: Added "note" to post.

Edited by Paul

Ricky

Currently trying to get a visa for my mother in law to come and join us here in the sandpit, hopefully will get a 3 month visa. This means free babysitting and great food for 3 months :-) She lived with us when we lived in Cebu and it was superb then. The rest of the extended family never bothered us (perhaps they found my grouchy, who knows), but I think that the important part of making our two cultures mix together is having good dialogue and understanding between our partners and our Filipina partners being strong.

• Like 6

johnboy999

We have one member of the family staying with us. He lives in a separate "maid's room" over in the corner of the lot and washes the dishes, helps with cooking, goes down to the market for us if I'm feeling too lazy to go, etc etc hahahaha. Overall, it's a good situation for us (and it works for him too as he gets free rent and free food).

• Like 3

jtmwatchbiz

i picked just us and our immediate children as there is no family living with us. we do have a female living within our premises who lends a hand with stuff along with a male security guard/helper on lend from my inlaws staff so i hope my reply is valid as we in fact do have other people on our premises but they are not related by blood. 

• Like 2

ozboy

We have one 10yr old grandaughter living with us and usually another 3 on the weekends, all under 10....3 others are banned cos of unruly behavior (All boys)...the kids are very helpful in taking the workload off the wife plus it would be too quiet without their company......

• Like 4

Paul

I have to say, I am truly impressed by the views of the members here, so far. 

I am sure others would probably have not believed the results. 

I hope they continue in this positive direction. 

• Like 1

MarinePride

When I moved over here, with the wife and two kids, we stayed in her parents house while our house was being built next door.  It took over two months for our house to get built.  Also living in her parents house were her younger sister, husband and baby. The only things that made it a pain was the fact that there was only one bathroom, living upstairs is hotter than downstairs, one TV with no cable, internet was basically dial up speed, electric bill was split four ways, water bill was split two ways,  parking situation was a pain because there were four cars involved and to top it all off, we were charged rent by her mother!  The younger sister and family lived there for free, as did her brother, wife and three kids in the same compound. 

If anyone ever wanted to live in our house with us, it's not going to happen.  We don't even have a maid, because the maid is too much of a drag on our privacy from past experience.  We are private people and not into sharing all that much on a repetitious basis.  Sure you can have a piece of chicken and rice every once in a while, but don't expect it everynight when I know you have money of your own. 

• Like 6

Skywalker

I live with my butler.  Which boxes do I pick?

After Christmas I will move into a fully staffed house.

• Like 3

jtmwatchbiz

you forgot to mention the additional condo unit next door that you rent to house your 5 scantly-clad female "helpers". honestly, i'm not jealous you can afford such luxury but just because you have 2 feet doesn't mean you need 2 women in french maid outfits to remove your socks when you get home from a hard day at the polo club. one will do. 

• Like 3

Nangulo

The second part of the poll should have an N/A, also.  That is, if there are no members of the extended family living with you, you should have the option to vote N/A.  I would have voted N/A.

Paul

The second part of the poll should have an N/A, also.  That is, if there are no members of the extended family living with you, you should have the option to vote N/A.  I would have voted N/A.

How about being happy and not having it any other way? 

Okay, I will add an option. 

Monsoon

I have no problems with my mother in law visiting us. She is very considerate of my space and knows that I don't like noise. She is a quiet lady and hard working. But thats how most of my wife's family are. Most of them are home owners, some of them have multiple homes. They are not rich people - just good work ethic and free of drug/alcohol abuse and entitlement attitudes. She's pretty young as mother in laws go as well (50). 

Truth be told I would gladly have my mother in law live with us in the states. I know she would be working any job she could get and packing the money away for her future. She would also be reliable child care when we wanted to go away somewhere. If that were to happen I would likely start a business for her and my wife to run. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 3

smokey

your looking for the DK and dont ask dont tell

dHb

Here in Bahrain, we have my wife's 2 sisters living with us. It works out great as the cooking/cleaning load is shared and they are available to watch over my kids, particularly my 9-year-old daughter (who gets extra tutoring with schoolwork).

When we visit Cebu, we stay at my in-law's place in Mandaue. We built our house in Tayud but, to tell you the truth, we haven't even spent the total of a whole month there these past 10 years. The reason being that we go on holiday to visit the family and chill out - if we stay in Tayud, we are away from them (much like being out of the country). As for myself, the "Foreigner", I've made a lot of friends there and get to hang out with them (drinking and jamming sessions). I would miss that in Tayud.

I've been blessed with my in-laws and their neighbors as they are good, friendly and fun people.

• Like 9