Proving hardship to USCIS

A Filipina friend here in the US is trying to get her mother's and minor sister's immigrant visas expedited due to hardship imposed by the typhoon- I'm estimating it 1.5 years away without.

Any ideas what would convince USCIS?

The mother is in Lapaz, Leyte which is maybe 20k south of where the storm made landfall.

shadow

A Filipina friend here in the US is trying to get her mother's and minor sister's immigrant visas expedited due to hardship imposed by the typhoon- I'm estimating it 1.5 years away without.

The mother is in Lapaz, Leyte which is maybe 20k south of where the storm made landfall.

Basically it will take a matter of life and death. If the petitioner can prove he/she may die if the family does not join him/her in the US, or that the Mother/sibling is in imminent danger, you may have  a chance. We have had several apply with success, but they had to document illness/hardship.

Otherwise, it seems she is getting bunk info or guidance. Only a US citizen can petition a parent/sibling. Parental petitions are currently taking 8-12 months, and sibling petitions are currently taking 23 years. If she petitions the parent only, the parent can be in the US within a year and can then petition the minor child as a green card holder, with expected timeframe of another 8-12 months.

There is no derivative status given to children of the beneficiary of a parental petition.

Knowdafish

Canada is supposedly expediting entry for Philippine nationals due to the typhoon. I wonder what their criteria is. 

Basically it will take a matter of life and death. If the petitioner can prove he/she may die if the family does not join him/her in the US, or that the Mother/sibling is in imminent danger, you may have  a chance. We have had several apply with success, but they had to document illness/hardship.

Otherwise, it seems she is getting bunk info or guidance. Only a US citizen can petition a parent/sibling. Parental petitions are currently taking 8-12 months, and sibling petitions are currently taking 23 years. If she petitions the parent only, the parent can be in the US within a year and can then petition the minor child as a green card holder, with expected timeframe of another 8-12 months.

There is no derivative status given to children of the beneficiary of a parental petition.

Thanks. She is an American citizen. I think that was the original plan with the sister who wanted to finish college in the Phils- mom comes over, petitiions daughter. I just looked it up, Vermont is processing I-130s received October 2012.

OK then, how did the successful ones document that they might die?

Scruffydog

Doubt anything would help other than a suitcase of cash and a bought official

shadow

Thanks. She is an American citizen. I think that was the original plan with the sister who wanted to finish college in the Phils- mom comes over, petitiions daughter. I just looked it up, Vermont is processing I-130s received October 2012.

OK then, how did the successful ones document that they might die?

Most that were sent to Vermont were forwarded to Missouri or Texas earlier this year, and I don't thnink any new I-130 cases are being forwarded to Vermont. Vermont is a mess right now, and MSC is not much better.

Doctor's letters and hospital records sometimes do the trick.

Doubt anything would help other than a suitcase of cash and a bought official

Pretty hard to buy a USCIS official, but that suitcase full of cash could be given to Atty Garfunkle with mixed results.

Edited by shadow

Information for Canada is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-11-13.asp

I'm not sure of the logic of providing an email contact address for typhoon victims but if a person is overseas and wants to make a new application and request priority processing:

New Application:  Applicants who can demonstrate that they are significantly affected and request priority processing can contact the visa office in Manila directly at [email protected].

Please include the following information:

• How you have been affected by Typhoon Haiyan;
  • The region that you are in;
  • Your name (family and given);
  • Date of birth;
  • Type of application (student, worker, visitor, Permanent Residence in Canada);
  • Client ID (optional);
  • File # (optional) and
  • Telephone number (optional)

Again, there's no help with a definition of "significantly affected"