Hello all

My new Manila Condo has a PLDT Fibre internet connection and a community back up generator, and that got me thinking about how i could make money from this rare, stable, high speed connection and possibly bring forward my permanent move to Manila...so googling tonight i find that a new industry of virtual office workers has emerged over the last half a decade or so and that the Philippines is at the centre of this new virtual office world...some questions come to mind.

If a foreign national is working in the Philippines and yet working for and paid by a foreign employer (company) would that person need a Filipino work permit/visa? 

Is there an opportunity to use my Fibre connection etc to start a virtual office or phone centre? (even though the condo rules wont allow that) who's going to know with no actual workers on site?

Anyone else have any high speed fibre money making ideas?

You could code for clients overseas, but do you know how to code?

You could operate a BPO, but do you have knowledge of other countries accounting principles and tax laws?

You could make money from websites, but have you learned how to promote websites?

You could work on odesk or freelancer or elance, writing or in SEO or building apps. Do you have any of these skills?

The point is, there are plenty of ways to make money from the west and spend it in the east using the internet for communication. However, all of them involve you learning some skills that everyone else doesn't have. 

If you are serious, choose one of the above or Google around and find something else and then learn how to do it. There's plenty of demand if you are knowledgeable.

As for a work visa, you wouldn't be earning money from The Philippines. For that reason not many people worry about the work permit however I believe you can register your business legally with you as the owner since it is 100% export.* 

*My legal advice is possibly worthless. I have no legal qualifications and don't advise anyone to act on any legal advice I give. See a good lawyer.

May I suggest making use of, and maybe sharpening, whatever skills you already possess.

The new online marketplaces then allow you to sell your services worldwide with ease. Elance would be my personal favourite.

As long as your income is abroad and you do not employ anyone but yourself, there should be no problems - neither visa nor business permits nor tax.

But of course you should take independent legal advice to be on the safe side.

• Like 1
Knowdafish

You could work on odesk or freelancer or elance, writing or in SEO or building apps. Do you have any of these skills?

As for a work visa, you wouldn't be earning money from The Philippines.

I think you will find that "working" is "working" whether you are paid or not.

KonC

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Just be careful with how you (or other people ) word things. I was leaving the Philippines with a Filipina on holiday once several years ago and immigration pulled her to ask her a bunch of stupid questions, and then they asked her what her boyfriend does in the Philippines, she said, "he works". Ooops. They then pulled me and I had to explain to them that she says I work because I always have money and she hears me on the phone telling people what to do. My 'job' is self directing my own investments. No need for a work visa. Just don't use the 'W' word around immigration people. 

I now have a visa that allows me to work here. But no desire to work....

• Like 1

The point is, there are plenty of ways to make money from the west and spend it in the east using the internet for communication. However, all of them involve you learning some skills that everyone else doesn't have. 

If you are serious, choose one of the above or Google around and find something else and then learn how to do it. There's plenty of demand if you are knowledgeable.

As for a work visa, you wouldn't be earning money from The Philippines. For that reason not many people worry about the work permit however I believe you can register your business legally with you as the owner since it is 100% export.* 

*My legal advice is possibly worthless. I have no legal qualifications and don't advise anyone to act on any legal advice I give. See a good lawyer.

The way i see it is, 10 million Indians and Filipinos and Chinese etc can write code and have accounting degrees, and Software engineering degrees and are fluent in Python and Java etc...i cant catch up to them...what i can do that they on the whole cannot do, is speak, read and interpret written and spoken English at a very high level..that's the advantage i have..and the only way i can see me utilizing that from home is call/contact work of some sort.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to learn how to write Java and develop games, i taught myself how to write HTML back in 98 and that was hard enough, and just look how far HTML has moved along since then...i want a somewhat easy life not a demanding one. 

Edited by Contango
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

if you look at the government issued unemployment figures there must be a crapload of virtual work going on in the RP

arentol

Best of luck to the OP. Spydoo's post was spot-on -- there are many ways to make money online, the majority of which prominently feature a skill you have that others do not. The comparison to developers from India/China/etc is a bit moot, as the demand for developers is exceedingly high... much higher than what the market can provide. Coupled with the lack of Western training and cultural differences that are frequently at-odds with modern programming practices, they really do not factor into the equation.

Having said all of that, I understand that you want an easier option that doesn't involve learning a new skill... and you want to take advantage of your English skills. If you have a Master's then you can become an English professor for an online institution -- if you have a Bachelor's, then you can do online English tutoring. If the education field isn't your cup of tea...

The virtual office service you mentioned is good, provided that you 1) can market it effectively, 2) have the proficiency and business sense to do it, and 3) have the marketing insight to be different in an ocean full of competition. Such a service is also popular for those incorporating overseas, as they often require a formalized presence. All in all... do-able, but a challenge.

Your imagination is the limit, honestly. My only advice: don't do what everyone everyone else is doing.

Concerning visas/taxes/etc: You need a work visa if you work for a Philippine-based company. As a foreign resident here, you pay taxes on all income derived from Philippine sources. Of course always consult with professionals first.

Cheers,

Aren

- Working remotely from the Philippines since 2007. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Im confused? Are you here in the Philippines? And your looking for a job? What exactly is your question?