Living in Cebu is cheaper than London

Skywalker

Actually, it should be described as less expensive, since it's not that cheap here.

London is a great City, but gosh, the rents are enough to drive a saint to drink.

its cheaper then anchorage alaska.I wonder where we will go next on the is it cheaper .........moscow

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tomaw

• Skywalker

• smokey

• Alan S

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah that's it, I sit around in my condo watching TV all day.  I mean that's the whole point about living in the tropics right?   Don't ever ask what a typical day is, there is no such thing.  What

Up North, it's bleak in the summer too.

I'm just going with the trend!   Anyway I absolutely adore living in Cebu - and that makes me a bloody minority on this forum doesn't it?  

smokey

i think the moon is the cheapest place to live for a few reasons... one you wont live long enough to make it to the ATM so that saves money and two there is no atm and to drive to one takes a long time so you save more money and three you can get mileage for the flight  so its cheaper to live on the moon then in cebu 

• Like 2

Living in Cebu is cheaper than Monaco!

It must be true, because it is on the web. From www.numbeo.com:

Consumer Prices in Cebu are 68.10% lower than in Monaco

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Cebu are 86.49% lower than in Monaco

Rent Prices in Cebu are 95.53% lower than in Monaco

Restaurant Prices in Cebu are 88.43% lower than in Monaco

Groceries Prices in Cebu are 59.58% lower than in Monaco

Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre, per month...

Monaco: 10,000.00 €

Cebu: 246.52 € (-97.53 %)

So there!

• 2 weeks later...

The weather in the summer months [in england], is really much better usually than it is in the Philippines in those months. And you can't beat those long days - gets light at 4am and stays light, until 10pm.

Exactly !  Long days are so amazing. Most of the year we have 12 hours daylight per day or more. Feels that way anyway.

winter would not be so bad if the clocks didn't go back, effectively removing daylight from our evenings and putting it into the early morning, when people are in less need of it. 

Living in Cebu is cheaper than Monaco!

It must be true, because it is on the web. From www.numbeo.com:

Consumer Prices in Cebu are 68.10% lower than in Monaco

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Cebu are 86.49% lower than in Monaco

Rent Prices in Cebu are 95.53% lower than in Monaco

Restaurant Prices in Cebu are 88.43% lower than in Monaco

Groceries Prices in Cebu are 59.58% lower than in Monaco

Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre, per month...

Monaco: 10,000.00 €

Cebu: 246.52 € (-97.53 %)

So there!

......... Doesn't Monico make Beverly Hills look cheap?
ThomsonJr

I was just sitting here and thinking, that many people in this world, especially the middle class, live way above their means. I myself i'm currently getting close to earning $10K per month here where I live in SEA and i'm living in a 250$ studio (with electric and internet included), and I feel happy. I know people, if you would give them my income, they would immediately go for a $1K or even $2K condominium or house. Well, maybe i'm foolish to be living in a studio, but I feel happy and don't need anything more for now, as i'm single anyway. I really hate spending money, but some people they spend alot, too much even, on useless stuff.

I can live very cheap in Cebu. I know that. I'm thinking about that nice 10,000 PHP spacious and tidy (70m²) 1 BR apartment with balcony and 2 bathrooms in Banawa, in a quiet street not too far from the main street. That's probably where i'm going to live when I move back to Cebu. I'm also thinking about those barbecued chickens with rice and soy sauce with chilies at 130 PHP, can't finish that alone as it's quite big. I'm also thinking about the Francis (French style) bread available at some if not most small bakery stores, they go for around 6 PHP per piece if i'm not mistaken, the cheap beer which is widely available, the fresh vegetables in the supermarkets which are quite affordable, the cheap taxi rides, even international meals in Ayala Mall or some other restaurants, are still quite affordable and are definitely more expensive in other nearby countries, International Buffet at the Parklane hotel for 599 pesos, which is really not expensive for what you get, the 100 PHP cocktails at Juliana Club or the 600 PHP bottles of tequila which you get in some of the clubs there, try to get that anywhere in a club in Asia, you simply won't find it, as far as my knowledge goes.

What is expensive though is electicity, if you use aircon all day in your apartment or house for example or even worse, in your condominium where electricity rates are even higher, imported foods are also quite expensive but I can live without that, as I tend to prefer Asian style food anyway, and all the necessry ingredients to cook good Asian meals are widely available and cheap too.

However it does get expensive if one needs to live like Hugh Hefner for example, or if one really needs to live a Bevery Hills lifestyle, then yes it gets quite expensive, as certain products and lifestyles have a pricetag which is quite similar around the world, yet more expensive in some places, but some stuff just can't be had for cheap, anywhere in the world, or atleast not where I want to be.

Anyway, Cebu is still quite affordable IMO, but it does lack some decent hotel rooms at decent prices, but if you settle down then you can really live a cheap, happy, outgoing quality lifestyle there. The good thing about Cebu is that there is a lifestyle for everyone to be had.

Edited by ThomsonJr
  • Like 3

I was just sitting here and thinking, that many people in this world, especially the middle class, live way above their means. I myself i'm currently getting close to earning $10K per month here where I live in SEA and i'm living in a 250$ studio (with electric and internet included), and I feel happy. I know people, if you would give them my income, they would immediately go for a $1K or even $2K condominium or house. Well, maybe i'm foolish to be living in a studio, but I feel happy and don't need anything more for now, as i'm single anyway. I really hate spending money, but some people they spend alot, too much even, on useless stuff.

I can live very cheap in Cebu. I know that. I'm thinking about that nice 10,000 PHP spacious 1 BR apartment with balcony and 2 bathrooms in Banawa, in a quiet street not too far from the main street. That's probably where i'm going to live when I move back to Cebu. I'm also thinking about those barbecued chickens with rice and soy sauce with chilies at 130 PHP, can't finish that alone as it's quite big. I'm also thinking about the Francis (French style) bread available at some if not most small bakery stores, they go for around 6 PHP per piece if i'm not mistaken, the cheap beer which is widely available, the fresh vegetables in the supermarkets which are quite affordable, the cheap taxi rides, even international meals in Ayala Mall or some other restaurants, are still quite affordable and are definitely more expensive in other nearby countries, International Buffet at the Parklane hotel for 599 pesos, which is really not expensive for what you get, the 100 PHP cocktails at Juliana Club or the 600 PHP bottles of tequila which you get in some of the clubs there, try to get that anywhere in a club in Asia, you simply won't find it, as far as my knowledge goes.

What is expensive though is electicity, if you use aircon all day in your apartment or house for example or even worse, in your condominium where electricity rates are even higher, imported foods are also quite expensive but I can live without that, as I tend to prefer Asian style food anyway, and all the necessry ingredients to cook good Asian meals are widely available and cheap too.

However it does get expensive if one needs to live like Hugh Hefner for example, or if one really needs to live a Bevery Hills lifestyle, then yes it gets quite expensive, as certain products and lifestyles have a pricetag which is quite similar around the world, yet more expensive in some places, but some stuff just can't be had for cheap, anywhere in the world, or atleast not where I want to be.

.......... Good post. I appreciate the specific examples.

Skywalker, I don't personally know you but what do you "adore" about living here? I'm completely serious.

I just assume you sit around all day in your condo, watching television. I'm still serious.

What do you do throughout a typical day that makes you adore Cebu? Not trying to be disrespectful.

.....Ok if I ask you the same question?

I can live very cheap in Cebu. I know that. I'm thinking about that nice 10,000 PHP spacious and tidy (70m²) 1 BR apartment with balcony and 2 bathrooms in Banawa, in a quiet street not too far from the main street. That's probably where i'm going to live when I move back to Cebu. I'm also thinking about those barbecued chickens with rice and soy sauce with chilies at 130 PHP, can't finish that alone as it's quite big. I'm also thinking about the Francis (French style) bread available at some if not most small bakery stores, they go for around 6 PHP per piece if i'm not mistaken, the cheap beer which is widely available, the fresh vegetables in the supermarkets which are quite affordable, the cheap taxi rides, even international meals in Ayala Mall or some other restaurants, are still quite affordable and are definitely more expensive in other nearby countries, International Buffet at the Parklane hotel for 599 pesos, which is really not expensive for what you get, the 100 PHP cocktails at Juliana Club or the 600 PHP bottles of tequila which you get in some of the clubs there, try to get that anywhere in a club in Asia, you simply won't find it, as far as my knowledge goes.

Anyway, Cebu is still quite affordable IMO, but it does lack some decent hotel rooms at decent prices, but if you settle down then you can really live a cheap, happy, outgoing quality lifestyle there. The good thing about Cebu is that there is a lifestyle for everyone to be had.

how true!!

I don't live in Cebu yet but when I visit we RARELY eat at any restaurants, I tend to enjoy the street vendors. I love the shwarma & bbq....... believe it or not pork belly & chicken intestines are my favorites. I feel like a cheap Charlie going to a bbq & filling up 2 adults for less than p100 but I will keep doing it. if I wanted to eat burgers & steaks I would just stay home. 

there are many threads going around about cost of living & wages and I agree 100%. people love to live beyond there means and cry foul when they are in too deep. 

• Like 1
Half Baked

.....Ok if I ask you the same question?

You can ask me the same question when I have said that I "adore" this place.

I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, only that he stays busy.

Hell, one has to stay busy here to keep from putting a gun in one's mouth. Edit:but I guess that's anywhere.

Edited by Half Baked

i think the moon is the cheapest place to live for a few reasons... one you wont live long enough to make it to the ATM so that saves money and two there is no atm and to drive to one takes a long time so you save more money and three you can get mileage for the flight  so its cheaper to live on the moon then in cebu 

Don't forget_____no need for aircon

You can ask me the same question when I have said that I "adore" this place.

I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, only that he stays busy.

Hell, one has to stay busy here to keep from putting a gun in one's mouth. Edit:but I guess that's anywhere.

Your edit shows your moment of clarity in my opinion. Everywhere can be a hell hole or a quite nice place. I realised years ago that there is no paradise ... just what life you choose to lead. That is my goal ... to be able to choose my life. It's not about how much money I have to choose a life or how cheap this place is compared to that place.

Sorry if I am diverting the thread from cost of living in Cebu to the meaning of life or something. :twocents:

• Like 2

Your edit shows your moment of clarity in my opinion. Everywhere can be a hell hole or a quite nice place. I realised years ago that there is no paradise ... just what life you choose to lead. That is my goal ... to be able to choose my life. It's not about how much money I have to choose a life or how cheap this place is compared to that place.

Sorry if I am diverting the thread from cost of living in Cebu to the meaning of life or something. :twocents:

......... You said a lot of what I was thinking. Thanks.

I found plenty to do when I was in Cebu. I had lots of fun going to the malls, the beachs, parasailing, jet skiing etc. Granted, some of these activities were expensive and others cost very little if anything at all. But I was never bored. Cebu may not be everybody's cup a tea and that's ok. The only people I just don't get are the ones that constantly bitch and whine but don't do anything to change their situation.

Where I live, many things are chewper than in the Philippines

'Chewper?'  Are you referring to your food bill? :tongue_01: