Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

Toast

udonthani

you don't have to buy one of those silly toaster things to make toast.

all you have to do is do it in a frying pan, preferably a non-stick one.

the trick is to apply only a very low heat, therefore very difficult to pull off on a wood stove, gas stove is better than electric.

it takes about four minutes on each side and it should be a perfectly even golden brown.

I never have toast with butter here. Both the bread which is too sweet and the butter type margarine etc products available are just not up to scratch.

I eat it with peanut butter, that made in Leyte stuff that is quite widely available around Cebu is the best and not expensive. A jar lasts me around a month. Peanut butter serves to mask completely the sweet taste of the bread available in most bakeshops but means you still get the texture of toast.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

r have toast with butter here. Both the bread which is too sweet and the butter type margarine etc products available are just not up to scratch

There is lots of butter available here. I buy either New Zealand or Danish butter, and both are readily available. .   Why would you expect local margarine to taste like butter ??

• Like 6

udonthani

no they are not readily available, at all. You don't move around like I do and you live in a city with access to a mall or malls. Right now where I am the only place where products like you describe are available is maybe 12km away where they have recently built a Gaisano and Anchor and Danish may not be available there, I don't know I haven't looked - and before that, the nearest one was like 35km away. You also have a refridgerator 100% of the time. If you don't (I have one maybe 50% of the time) then having butter is just not practical and you have to use your brain basically to come up with an effective substitution. And that is peanut butter. While you still have to be careful to keep it cool as it can go off, it is not like dairy butter in this way.

I buy either New Zealand or Danish butter, and both are readily available. .   Why would you expect local margarine to taste like butter ??

• Like 2

jigsy

Yes, you are better off not eating local margarines - that stuff is lethal.

However, you are putting a lot of refined sugar into your system with the bread and the peanut butter.

Monsoon

Or you can buy one of those 'silly toaster things' and just put your bread in and not worry about it. 

Finding good bread in a place where you can't buy butter - now there is a challenge. 

agent17

You can also use an iron to toast bread.

• Like 3

roaddog

pancakes with Skippy peanut butter and three berry preserves. yum. box just arrived. I am thinking breakfast lunch and dinner

mikejwoodnz

...............then having butter is just not practical and you have to use your brain basically to come up with an effective substitution. And that is peanut butter. ...........

LOL - you make that point very well  :ROFLMAO:

Edited by mikejwoodnz
  • Like 1

MikeMS

Some people need to get a life!

mikejwoodnz

I have had several "discussions" at different Hotels here - when I query where is the toast with my breakfast - invariably they refer to the whole breakfast as "toast" - the toasted bread I am looking for is called "toasted".    OK ...... as you were.

• Like 1

BossHog

Obscure breakfast trivia:

After using the frying pan to toast bread you can also use it in a pinch to fry up some bacon and eggs.

Who knew?

• Like 5

Raven

Obscure breakfast trivia:

After using the frying pan to toast bread you can also use it in a pinch to fry up some bacon and eggs.

Who knew?

Not so fast...lesson no 2 is tomorrow...what was it again..you take the bread and...

• Like 6

mikejwoodnz

Not so fast...lesson no 2 is tomorrow...what was it again..you take the bread and...

yep looking forward to the old cold water-instant coffee-tin mug-heat the water in the mug for instant coffee Lesson.

• Like 2

BossHog

tin mug-heat the water in the mug

don't forget the microwave ya moron.

• Like 1

jigsy

To be fair to Whippy, he is talking about being able to make toast while 'on-the-go'.

As for bread, I buy the sugar-free stuff from S&R or the gardenia 'green' loaf.

Edited by jigsy