iPhone 5S

jtmwatchbiz

If your in Philippines, and going to buy one of these, then your the biggest idiot ever ! If your in Western world, that's a different story, your still an idiot, but less so. I always had the crappiest phone, and at the most splurged 4000PHP on a phone.

well as much as i shun fancy phones i wouldn't call people idiots if they buy and use them, as some need and use the features for their work and i understand that can free them up to be more mobile. i get away with my cheap ass phones as i only need to do simple texts and calls for my line of work but i respect others who need more in a phone.

• Like 1

well as much as i shun fancy phones i wouldn't call people idiots if they buy and use them, as some need and use the features for their work and i understand that can free them up to be more mobile. i get away with my cheap ass phones as i only need to do simple texts and calls for my line of work but i respect others who need more in a phone.

Ok, I'll clarify.

In Western world, its Apple Vs Android. Im an Android fan, hence he's an idiot for buying Apple(ha ha, ha ha - get over it), but thats an ongoing heightened debate(eg. PS4 Vs XBone etc), that I wont get into.

In Phils, unless he seriously needs an iPhone, like he's employed by a Western Company with only iPhones, on Western wages, and needs to be telecommunicating on only an iPhone with the West, then its stupidity.

For a random white foreigner to be sporting the latest iPhone(or any fancy smart phone), is just asking for trouble.

If you dont know why, then....... I cant explain it to you.(well I probably can, but, if you dont get it already, then I couldn't be bothered, someone else might)

Edited by smidsy
jtmwatchbiz

If you dont know why, then....... I cant explain it to you.(well I probably can, but couldn't be bothered)

no need to be bothered...i have lived and worked here for 10 years, out on the streets and in the most unsettling of locations and ungodly times of the day and night so i have an excellent understanding of how this place ticks, and in my line of work some 40k phone would be the least of my losses or worries if someone wanted to rob me. 

• Like 1

no need to be bothered...i have lived and worked here for 10 years, out on the streets and in the most unsettling of locations and ungodly times of the day and night so i have an excellent understanding of how this place ticks, and in my line of work some 40k phone would be the least of my losses or worries if someone wanted to rob me. 

Indeed, watch guy, you have changed your avatar ! I didnt initially recognise the name, and the sig ad isnt there anymore(sorry, my mistake!)

But still, while you might wear a 1955 Jaeger-LeCoultre, that no one in Phils would have any idea of the cost(and might think its "just an old watch"), personally, if was was walking around with the latest iPhone, I would be more focused on the security of my phone, than I would be on anything else !

Edited by smidsy
  • Like 1
Irenicus

Well, I have been here almost two weeks and have concluded that I don't really need my iPhone and iPad.  I tend to pull out my iPhone when I am lost (which happens a lot when I am driving about), and I feel self conscious about it - not that I will get robbed, but that I am pulling out a phone that equals months of wages for the average Filipino worker.  Irish Roman Catholic guilt compounded by an ostentatious display of "wealth" just doesn't do it for me.

I have a 3500 peso Android that does most of the things that my iPhone does - the camera just isn't as good.  I also have a similarly priced Dragon Touch tablet that can do everything an iPad can (albeit with a shorter battery life).

I am putting them up for sale in a couple of days.  I just don't need them.

miles-high

I guess some wrong assumptions are being made here…

Locations – you can turn it off, besides who cares if I am being traced for whatever reason, I am not that interesting…

Vintage watch – if it tells me the time, new, looks good and relatively "good value", that’s all I care…

iPhone and security – why do I need to “walk” wherever it is with my iPhone… there are secure places, security people, secure cars and airplanes… Don’t need to interface with others if you don’t want/need to…

There are more ways to use iPhones – a gift of an iPhone would do wonders and often it’s a “cost-effective” investment…

iPhones are for “communication” – like a watch, as long as it can tell the time sometimes… If I had a “butler” like other members here, or a tri-lingual secretary as I do, I guess I don’t even need a phone (except for pesonal matters)…

Apple vs. Android – buy both and get over it… keep the one you like and give the other to a Filipina…

iPhones are for driving – it would be easier if you buy a car with a built-in navigation system, safer if it had a head-up display, or better yet, hire a driver…

All my iPhones are now gone… I personally carry a Windows 8 phone as I don’t own any shares of Apple, Samsung, Google, HTC, LG, SONY…

I was just giving some advice which version of iPhones 5S to buy… it served the purpose, therefore, Forum Admin, please close this topic.

Thank you! :D

• Like 2

iPhone 5S "Gold" short supply throughout the world... A few available at SM Cyberzone Cebu... At PHP45,990, is it worth buying? I have never used Apple phones before... Is it really nice as some claim? Just wondering... :)

NB: It's $849 at any US Apple Store, if available...

It's been a while since I've contributed here..

iPhones are great! I've had 2 for over 4 years.

I also have Android. A Galaxy Nexus. It's good except for the terrible battery life.

A 16 GB iPhone would be good enough. It's $649 in the US unlocked from factory. Works anywhere in the world. Globe SIM can ROAM in Japan and USA. Shipping it here IS the tricky part. Balik Bayan Box it would be the way to go IMHO. I'd never have it sent through the postal system..

The price here in the Philippines is just too high for an iPhone off contract. Taxes, shipping, ect.

If you got one on Globe on a contract (plan) you could upgrade every year. You will love the LTE speeds.

The LG G2 is a very nice handset as well. Android has really come a long way and is an excellent OS.

For those guys like my friend Skinny who passed last December: "why do I need such an expensive phone? My cheap nokia does everything I need"  

Great! I'm happy for ya. You don't need a computer in your pocket. Good for you.

Just don't criticize me if I want a smart phone. I can afford it, so buzz off.

JM

SomeRandomGuy

with your spelling talents that must come in "quiet" handy :)

ha so spelling is not my forte.

But I am 35 and have been retired for almost 10 years.... maybe spelling is not all it is cracked up to be

• Like 1
miles-high

Shipping it here IS the tricky part. Balik Bayan Box it would be the way to go IMHO.

I tried it once using my “My-ShoppingBox” address… Apple sent me a nasty email saying they would not ship their products to any freight forwarders’ addresses…

So, I went to Honolulu to buy it (that was not the main purpose of the trip… ;)) – there are 3 Apple stores in Honolulu, the same price as any of the Mainland stores…

Apples stores in Japan started selling the SIM-free iPhones, prices appear to be slightly higher than those of the US stores, depending on the exchange rate… Prices in the Philippines about $200 more… No Apple store in Guam…

jtmwatchbiz

ha so spelling is not my forte.

But I am 35 and have been retired for almost 10 years.... maybe spelling is not all it is cracked up to be

well seeing your worldly possessions offered for sale a while back that looked like a tag sale at a trailer park i think i'll pass on early retirement and just keep working.

phone-wise...come to think of it maybe i'll buy me one of them iphones just for the internet as i hate to admit it but i have asked my wife numerous times to check our biz email on hers when we were out but i would never admit that to anyone :)

SomeRandomGuy
well seeing your worldly possessions offered for sale a while back that looked like a tag sale at a trailer park i think i'll pass on early retirement and just keep working.

ahhh  come now.

U judge a book by its cover which is what most people do.

I dress crap and buy crap.

u know golden rule of living in not your country.

Be prepared to be able to leave with no worries about your losses.

I live by that rule and it has done me very well. If shit hits the fan here i have only dropped 10 grand... but hey different strokes for different folks u know

Obviously something i write here must strike a chord with u. Its ok bro u live yours ill live mine.

I do not like being pot committed when I am transient. Which lets be honest we all are if we were not born here.

I can leave tomorrow and not look back... Can you?

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
jtmwatchbiz

I can leave tomorrow and not look back... Can you?

well since you asked no i can't, nor would i or my wife and family like to endure such a tenuous lifestyle. we like to think positive and not live our lives like the axe is about to fall at any second. of course like anyone else there are concerns, but my sense of humor will get me through. perhaps try it :)

SomeRandomGuy

yeah I like you are a smart ass prick... my favorite.

I am a  gypsy at heart forever moving always looking for the next adventure.

The shitty thing is I am starting to think about putting down roots and it is scaring the shit out of me which is why I think I was so keen to pack up and sell everything and move on.

Not used to thinking about anyone else but myself. I guess I had to grow up sometime

The iphone is a great buy but in all honesty to expensive but.

The andoid phone's seem to slow down and get clogged up over time while the apple's ( maybe it is there software) don't seem to do that at all.

Like everything I have I look at things very simply.

If i lose it will it bother me. So i shop and buy accordingly.

I have been poor to rich to poor then built it back up again.

This time round though i watch what i spend regardless if I can afford it. I have a 3 day policy. If after three days I still want it i go and buy it.

9 times out of 10 though I am happier with simplicity.

I like that I can afford the new fancy shit and like that I don't really need it at the same time.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
  • Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

yeah I like you are a smart ass prick... my favorite.

I am a  gypsy at heart forever moving always looking for the next adventure.

The shitty thing is I am starting to think about putting down roots and it is scaring the shit out of me which is why I think I was so keen to pack up and sell everything and move on.

Not used to thinking about anyone else but myself. I guess I had to grow up sometime

well i'll tell you what, don't worry you can do it and some day you can be like me and wake up every morning and see your wife next to you, go to work all day to pay for all the great things you provide for them, then off to bed to do it again the next day, then you will...wait...where would you go if you had to leave? no matter...TAKE ME WITH YOU!  

Edited by jtmwatchbiz

I tried it once using my “My-ShoppingBox” address… Apple sent me a nasty email saying they would not ship their products to any freight forwarders’ addresses…

So, I went to Honolulu to buy it (that was not the main purpose of the trip… ;)) – there are 3 Apple stores in Honolulu, the same price as any of the Mainland stores…

Apples stores in Japan started selling the SIM-free iPhones, prices appear to be slightly higher than those of the US stores, depending on the exchange rate… Prices in the Philippines about $200 more… No Apple store in Guam…

Right. You would have to have it sent to someone else and then that person would send it to the Balik Bayan Shipping Company.

Prices in Japan in April and May 2013 were still based on the strong Yen to USD rate (approx 76 yen to $1.00). Could have snagged an iPad Mini cheaper there than in the USA. (I was there. It's 1st hand news) :-)

Could I ask you what the shipping rates using My-ShoppingBox are? USA to Cebu..

Thank you.

Edited by JoMads