Living in Cebu is cheaper than Australia

tobster

Forex...just curious here cos I do not know anything about your situation...but you realize that when you turn 60, you have around 3 years here before you have to return home for 2 years continuous or you will not get the old age pension, and even with that its part pension if you decide to live here as there is no reciprocal agreement with the Philippines.

Depending on the status in your passport you are only allowed 5 years continuous stay before you have to return home for 2 years to get another 5 year visa or overstay and apply for a resident return visa....and you will have a lot of convincing to get one...

If you are earning income from home then you can get away with paying the tax as normal for 2 years,, but after that you become a non resident tax payer and that's almost double what you are paying now...

No idea about why you do not need to pay tax on your income at 60 yrs old....as long as you earn money in oz you pay tax.....

But all those times you have to go home, it might mean a long separation from your partner....unless she has her residency already.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozboy

• Hy H

• Art

• tobster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than impose on another thread I would like to show an opposite view.   After the recent visit of a Aussie friend and my wifes stay there to get her permanent residency, I was amazed at how mu

My expenses as a single guy in Queensland are different from the above.  I live near some of the most beautiful beaches in Australia.   Vehicle registration.      $894 ($1034 less pensioner discount

Englishman moved to Western Australia   August 31 - Just got transferred with work from Leeds UK to our new home in Karratha , Western Australia . Now this is a town that knows how to live! Beauti

Not sure.....never been a wine person but beer n smokes are outrages....lots of people r brewing their own now....I drink about 2 bottles of SM here a night n doubt if I could afford that when I return next month....$42/week....a bit too much. Costs me about 140 pesos here.....

Going home n starting from scratch, you would need at least $60,000 in savings plus income earned or you aint gonna have much of a lifestyle....

If I wasn't forced to leave I would stay here....

why are you leaving ?

5 years is up, plus medical bills n meds are crunching my income plus I got my wife permanent residency and want her to experience living n working in a western country.....so just maybe if I die she has the option to chose where she prefers to live.

But as I said...I love life here n sure going to miss it n my grandkids...

• Like 4

5 years is up

What is this 5 years of which you speak?

I'm 67 and get my pension even though I live in RP.

Are you saying that after 5 years I have to return???

KonC

I don,t know how anybody can afford to live in aussie full stop what a joke .yet all those boat people keep on trying to get there ,well they are in for a shock thats for sure when they see what it costs to live there .Then they will jump back into their rowing boats and scurry on back where they came from lol

They will stay because the governments will give them everything they want, money, free training to take our jobs,  :bomb:

Kenny its stamped in my passport something like ''Must return by 27th.december 2013'' I came end of 2008 and never returned home for that period...

Are you getting the full pension or is it indexed.....the laws change very quickly....

As I said my situation could be totally different to others....im a fair way off to retirement, so its best I return now.

OK Kenny sorry to give you a heart attack....its only for PR's..as a citizen you are fine..i just did some research....

Edited by ozboy
  • Like 1

OK Kenny sorry to give you a heart attack....its only for PR's..as a citizen you are fine..i just did some research....

Ah, I get it.

That happened to me back in the 70s.

I used my British passport to go to Europe so that I could work in common market countries.

When I wanted to return I was told "bad luck, you've been gone more than 3 years"

After a lot of crying and wailing they finally let me return and I quickly became a naturalized Aussie.

KonC

Having just got PR and heading over to Melbourne in a few weeks to activate with the family, the cost of living in Australia is of concern. It has to beat living in the sandpit or back in old Fish n Chip land. Hopefully the offshore oil industry in Australia is better paying then the UK....

Hey Ricky...good luck on your move....we fly out on the 10th Dec....Im sure you will get a job easily depending what area of expertise you are looking at......and lots of greasy fish n chip shops here mainly run by Italians....cheap great meal...

• Like 1

actually it does- but then Smokey told me that I had to leave  every morning no later than 7 am !!

He was doing you a favor, him overhearing you wanting to have lunch in Ayala everyday.

• Like 1
smokey

I got the same offer Art - but mine was only for 3 days- so you should consider yourself very special !!

dude your broke my air compressor trying to make your Girls all 44D size

• Like 1

How you guys find Aussie telcos and cost of calls and sms messagin?   I though it was very expensiv.

I am a Bondi boy so you can go out west for a cheaper cut but go to a butcher in Bondi Junction and ask for your cheap cut.

Well live in Bondi and pay Bondi prices....if you can afford to live in Bondi the price of meat is a non issue.

• Like 1
Jim Sibbick

I suspect you are getting mates rates at Cebu Century.  

In 2003, the owner informed me I had 20% discount for life. That is because I had already been staying there regularly for 8 years at that time.

Their standard discount is 20% for a one month stay but they gave me 30% when I was living there permanently.  

Here is my regular family room

In 2003, the owner informed me I had 20% discount for life. That is because I had already been staying there regularly for 8 years at that time.

Their standard discount is 20% for a one month stay but they gave me 30% when I was living there permanently.  

Small world Jim that is the room I stayed in and I didn't realise it was a family room it was newly renovated I think at the time.  Is that wailing from the karokee bar or whatever still going on late at night?   I had to use ear plugs to sleep.   I found those blankets itchy if I turned the aircon off so had to have it on during the night.   After a month there I had a cough I couldn't get rid of and headed out to Alona beach for 3 weeks.  Apart from the air and noise pollution I liked it there.  I could buy fresh fruit everyday from the vendors in Colon St and the many supermarkets and stores in the vicinity made shopping easy and the locals never bothered me. 

I might have dropped your name when I booked I forget now. :)

Edited by Art