Living in Cebu is cheaper than Australia

tobster

tobster

Rather than impose on another thread I would like to show an opposite view.

After the recent visit of a Aussie friend and my wifes stay there to get her permanent residency, I was amazed at how much more expensive it had become become. Things like a free doctors visit are gone, food prices are up and so are the costs of essentials.

here are some examples......

Vehicle registration.........Oz.........$2500     Cebu......P 5000  or $125

Rent Sydney house....    Oz...... $1000 to $1800 per week     Cebu....P 20 000 per month  or $125 per week

Fuel....                            Oz....    $1.50 per litre or P 60       Cebu....P 50-55 per litre   or $1.25

Beef                                Oz....   $20-$25 per kilo           Barili, Cebu P200 per kilo   or $5

Cigaretes                        Oz.....$18-20 per pack            Cebu...P 20  or $0.50  

Beer                                Oz...$7.50 750ml bottle          Cebu  P65  or $1.60  

Roasted chicken              Oz...$12                           Cebu P150  or $3.75

I could go on but really Australia is now so expensive that when someone says it's expensive here well I say maybe for you but for me as us Aussies say..........She's sweet here, mate, no fecken worrys.........

• Like 7
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozboy

• Hy H

• Art

• tobster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than impose on another thread I would like to show an opposite view.   After the recent visit of a Aussie friend and my wifes stay there to get her permanent residency, I was amazed at how mu

My expenses as a single guy in Queensland are different from the above.  I live near some of the most beautiful beaches in Australia.   Vehicle registration.      $894 ($1034 less pensioner discount

Englishman moved to Western Australia   August 31 - Just got transferred with work from Leeds UK to our new home in Karratha , Western Australia . Now this is a town that knows how to live! Beauti

Vehicle registration.........Oz.........$2500     Cebu......P 5000  or $125   Rent Sydney house....    Oz...... $1000 to $1800 per week     Cebu....P 20 000 per month  or $125 per week

Hold on a sec?

$ 2500 for a car rego?       ok house price is a bit of hit an miss coz it depends on the house and it location so not to compare sydney to barili.

tobster

Hold on a sec?

$ 2500 for a car rego?       ok house price is a bit of hit an miss coz it depends on the house and it location so not to compare sydney to barili.

Yeah car rego with all the slips, third party is about $2500...

Agreed on the housing costs but if you go back and have to rent that's what you're up for...

mikejwoodnz

New Zealand has similar on board costs as Australia. Rents are not quite that brutal say 1/2 and car rego is about $450. Ready Roast chicken ex supermarket is around $12.50, beef $25 KG, pork $15 kg, bar served beer $7.50, petrol is over $2.00 litre, cigarettes $20+ a packet of 20 etc etc .. Basic fruit and vege around $3/$5 kg. My rates (local body taxes) are $3,000+ small town 30,000. This is not a cheap country to live in. Minimum wage is about $13.50 an hour and it's virtually impossible to employ anybody under that which contributes to the high cost of everything. On the plus side you can brew your own beer and distilling your own spirits is legal both are tax free and you can raise your own meat and vege for free. Some free to kill wild game and fish. Rural or small town living is of course cheaper than inner City but the basics cost the same.

• Like 2

Europe (continental) too.

Cebu is way way cheaper except for a some things eg

new condos outside the capital

big household appliances (washing machines, TV, ...)

wine

but anything involving human labour is a bargain in Cebu..... I would have paid 1200 pesos an hour for declared home help (ironing, cleaning,....), thoughto be fair it would be tax deductible

restaurants much cheaper

drinking beer much cheaper 300 pesos for waiter service beer (and thats only 25 cl)

taxis - the only route I did regularly (pissed at night from station) was 700 pesos for 3.5km

small household appliances (kettles, toasters, ....)

electricity/energy - I can live without aircon but heating in a european winter is essential; 10000 a month in depths of winter

not imported supermarket food at least double in europe

market vegetables at least double in europe

fresh fish (very little under 1000 pesos a kilo) in europe

petrol about 85 a litre just now

etc etc

Once you start living semi local, there is no comparison

Edited by sperry
  • Like 2

I don,t know how anybody can afford to live in aussie full stop what a joke .yet all those boat people keep on trying to get there ,well they are in for a shock thats for sure when they see what it costs to live there .Then they will jump back into their rowing boats and scurry on back where they came from lol

Tob......First of all a Visit to the doctors is FREE with medicare card...Just go to any clinic that BULKBILLS.....even if you do pay up front most of it will  be reimbursed at any MEDICARE OFFICE. All hospital stays no matter what is wrong with you incl all medication is FREE.

Motor Registration...If the car is unregistered then the cost will depend on YEAR of manufacture so to determine stamp duty...so you cannot tell what it could be.

To Re -register a car, it costs around $710 at Vic Roads....

Rent for a nice 3 bedroom home, an hour from the city is around $400/week....that usually has gas heating n Air Con thru out...

Min Wage is around $14.60/Hr......No idea about the food n drink....

Correct me if im wrong here....

Edited by ozboy
udonthani

they will jump back into their rowing boats and scurry on back where they came from lol

except truck drivers in WA can earn $200,000 US a year easy. When n the Philippines they get 30 pesos an hour.

One thing I love about Aussie is, how easy it is to get a driver's license there, if you are a foreigner in country. I still have mine, expired since 2009. All I have to do is contact them and I can renew it once, while out of country, from here. I think I have until next year to do that? I hope so, anyway. I think it is 5 years for NSW. Depending on the state, it is longer, or maybe even shorter.

Of course, the cost of the driver's license, to stay completely on topic, is MUCH more costly, than it is in SE Asia.

smokey

Hold on a sec?

but isnt Australia  one of them 20 dollar an hour min wage places 

• Like 1
smokey

well lets all move there and get on the dole and then move to high end subdivisions in cebu 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

Beef Oz.... $20-$25 per kilo Barili, Cebu P200 per kilo or $5

at $20-$25 per kilo I would expect top grade steak....

smokey

its always where you go once in downtown new York i was looking for a parking space in a parking garage and looked up and it said 9.20 (US)  and i though that a lot but not crazy then the attendant said that is for 20 min..  and once i was very tired and pulled into a hotel in palm springs and its 3 in the moring and the only room they have is a delux and its 240 a night and check out is 10 AM .. prices are all over the place ...location location location 

Tob......First of all a Visit to the doctors is FREE with medicare card...Just go to any clinic that BULKBILLS.....even if you do pay up front most of it will  be reimbursed at any MEDICARE OFFICE. All hospital stays no matter what is wrong with you incl all medication is FREE.

Motor Registration...If the car is unregistered then the cost will depend on YEAR of manufacture so to determine stamp duty...so you cannot tell what it could be.

To Re -register a car, it costs around $710 at Vic Roads....

Rent for a nice 3 bedroom home, an hour from the city is around $400/week....that usually has gas heating n Air Con thru out...

Min Wage is around $14.60/Hr......No idea about the food n drink....

Correct me if im wrong here....

This is what I thought it was roughly  in most states 2012.   $ 12-1800 a week for basic 3 bedder in some mining towns.

but isnt Australia  one of them 20 dollar an hour min wage places 

Manila is 10$Us a day yet it is more than twice as expensive for some things in AUS

Cebu is close to $8.50 a day plus etc