New policy regarding downgrading visas

johnboy999

This direct from their official Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration posted today

Worth knowing if you've been here a while as it looks like they will order you to leave the country under certain circumstances. Of particular note is point 2, if you've been here for 5 years. I assume from this that they now require you to do a visa run to start your tourist visa status, instead of just converting it and remaining here (unless of course, you pay the appropriate fees).

ORDER TO LEAVE IN DOWNGRADING APPLICATIONS
(IMMIGRATION ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER NO. SBM-2013-013)

An application for downgrading of visa entails the reversion of a foreign national’s visa to temporary visitor/tourist to continue his legal stay in the Philippines. However, an applicant for downgrading shall be ordered to leave:

1. Where the visa to be downgraded is a 9F/student visa under Commonwealth Act (CA) No. 613 under the Philippine Immigration Act of 1940 (PIA), regardless of total or cumulative period;

2. Where the visa to be downgraded is a non-immigrant category and the total or cumulative period within the country exceeds 5 years;

3. Where there is a badge of fraud (e.g. insufficient explanation in downgrading from Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) by marriage) or fact that casts suspicion on the applicant’s visa.

Nonetheless, an applicant may request for reconsideration from the Commissioner from the order to leave under (2) & (3) on valid and exceptional grounds, upon payment of appropriate fees. The order to leave is without prejudice to any other action the Bureau may impose under existing law and regulations. 

SkyMan

2. Where the visa to be downgraded is a non-immigrant category and the total or cumulative period within the country exceeds 5 years;
Well, I believe 13A and SRRV are immigrant visas so I'm not sure who's effected.
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Im going to downgrade mine as I plan on spending a lot of time traveling around the region while Im here. If I were here for 5 years continuously without leaving at all I would need a straightjacket more so than a visa run 

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Well, I believe 13A and SRRV are immigrant visas so I'm not sure who's effected.

You might very well be right but I though that they were resident visas - and not immigrant visas ???

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I believe SRRV is non-immigrant. The 13A probationary is non-immigrant whereas the 13A permanent is immigrant. 

• Like 1
Nangulo

But....don't you have to apply?   It says, "An application for downgrading..."

If you don't apply, is there something to worry about?