Where to get items to make Chili / or buy a bowl of it

charlest27

Hello Everyone:

I would like to make Chill but i do not know where to get the  Red Kindey beans, pinto beans, dice tomatos. chill powered, imported ground beef from OZ. . If not is there a place to go get a bowl of chill in cebu city. Thank you for all your help.

Charles

udonthani

I find you just have to improvise here and forget about what you were used to back home, or certainly the exactitude of it. There is enough selection of ingredients even in the larger sari stores to enable you to substitute. This is what for example Thais do when they are in Australia or the UK. They may not be able to get the exact same ingredient that they could get back in Thailand, but they can get something close to it, relatively easily. You should be able to do it with western type dishes too. You don't even have to go to a supermarket really. Not the very small ones, but the larger sari stores usually have enough selection of stock to enable you to pull something off.

CardiacKid

Hello Everyone:

I would like to make Chill but i do not know where to get the  Red Kindey beans, pinto beans, dice tomatos. chill powered, imported ground beef from OZ. . If not is there a place to go get a bowl of chill in cebu city. Thank you for all your help.

Charles

You could probably get all the ingredients at these three stores. White Gold Club, Metro Gaisano in Ayala Mall, and Rustan's in Ayala Mall. I do not know of any place to get an authentic bowl of chili in Cebu.

• Like 1
State Trooper

sorry duble duble

Edited by State Trooper
State Trooper

First start with a Very Cold liter of Red Horse, drink until empty

Then get whatever frying pan is left on the stove from whatever the wifey/GF/Mistress cooked last

Pour 2 cans of pork and beans in the pan, mixed with some ground pork or leftover lechon. Add taco seasoning, and hot sauce.

Get another cold Red Horse, Eat your Filipino "chili"....

Half Baked

I just found a couple cans of Wolf brand chili that I had sent in BB box. Thought I was out of it.

Not the best, but pretty darned good for chili in a can.

Also, why do people go and mess up perfectly good chili by putting BEANs in there? I'm from Texas, you want beans... make a big pot of pinto beans with cornbread!

DANG! Now I want beans and cornbread!!

• Like 1
Majorsco

I can get every Tim on the OP list in Dipolog city but not all the time except OZ meat. Not sure is want that ... :). I don't like Australian beef. From my American corn fed beef upbringing, foreign beef, except Japanese just tastes off.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I can get every Tim on the OP list in Dipolog city but not all the time except OZ meat. Not sure is want that ... :). I don't like Australian beef. From my American corn fed beef upbringing, foreign beef, except Japanese just tastes off.

Now you've gone and done it. Those are fighting words to an Aussie.
  • Like 1

Hello Everyone:

Charles

SM supermarket carries kidney beans, Molino brand.  I don't know if the quality is good.  Diced tomatoes are also available under several brand.  The chili mix packets will be hard to find here.  I haven't seen them around.  You'll have to mix your own.  Imported ground beef are available at S&R and Rustans.

senseless

Cincinnati Chilli... To me, no other chilli exists. I have to make it at home, but tastes just the same. Can get all the ingredients at SNR

1LB of Ground beef

4 cans of hunts tomato sauce canned

Chilli Powder (the deep red stuff, not the local crap they call chilli powder that isn't)

Cayenne Pepper Powder

Hershey's Choclate Powder

Cinnamon Powder

Cumin Powder

Onion Powder

Fry the ground beef well

Put fried ground beef in a pot

Add 4 cans of hunts tomato sauce

Add the following to the mixture:

1/4 to 1/2 cup of Chilli Powder (depending on your taste)

1 TSP-ish of Cayenne Pepper Powder

1 TBSP of Hershey's Chocolate Powder

1 TSP-ish of Cinnamon Powder

1/2 TSP-ish of cumin seed or cumin powder

1 TBSP of Onion powder

1 Cup-ish of water

The water is used to mix the ingredients together and let them mingle and to allow the onion powder to absorb all of the flavors. Allow to simmer on low heat for about 15-20minutes and you're good to go. Warning: Chilli gets spicier over night if you allow it to sit in the fridge.

You can add other stuff to this, but I don't add beans, etc, as i usually use it as a topping for my cheese coneys (known elsewhere as chilli cheese dogs). Sometimes I'll use it as a topping for spaghetti known as a "3way". Other times i'll just eat it from the bowl with some grilled cheese. But it's definitely not that chunky "down south" chilli. I make it so often i just kind of throw ingredients together until it smells and tastes right. Sometimes I'll add mustard or mustard seed to it. Just depends on your mood, chilli is a forgiving recipe, it's not like baking.

Edited by senseless
Scottiev

surprisingly the chili at Mooon wasnt bad..the rest is crap as far as i'm concerned by my girls like it...

USMC-Retired

I bought all the ingredients at Ayala Metro and Ayala Rustans.  Check the date stamped on the Beans or only buy canned.

Metro Gaisano, Ayala usualy has dried pinto beans, sometimes red beans and kidney beans.  Spices and hot chilis available almost everywhere.   Jalepenos Metro Gaisano, Ayala, most of the time.   I prefer the beef at Rustans, Ayala.    

• Like 1

I make chili regualarly... i use the chili spice mix - mccormicks.    Red beans ...soak over night .. cook forever.   I have my own beef tips.. ground, and also use pork tenderloin ground...    I brown toghether with onions, garlic, pepper corn,etc.. throw in the with the cooked beans...simmer.