Tips for house or apt hunting?

Buko Beach

Any kind of real estate agent ????? Really?

I am sure if you talk with any one of my clients you will get very positive feed back fro all of them.

And to let everybody know what brokers get is generally one months rent for one year contract, we supply the contracts usually that are pretty standard and not biased to the owner. Having been in the business for 8 years here what you the possible tenant will not know is which landlords to completely avoid! There are some absolute nightmare landlords/ladies out there so be careful.

We have national board qualifications which if you do deal with any so called brokers, they should show you their qualification certificate or ID. We also try to negotiate the price for our clients. So when generalizing "Do not trust any brokers" I have to disagree as would brookfields international relocation company, one of a few such companies we deal directly with.

Right enough we deal in a specialized market in the mid to high end, we have a proffesional office, pleasant staff, official receipts, modern car to pick you up and show you around not only houses but if new arrivals the surrounding areas and malls restaurants etc.

So to cap this off, don't trust any real estate brokers unless of course you want the job done properly from the right people with local knowledge.

If how ever you find a rouge agent, you will probably be asked to meet at somewhere like Bo's coffee, to find 2 or more people wanting you to buy drinks, snacks, followed by we need to get a taxi ( which again you will pay for ) and lastly you will be shown a load of properties that don't match your criteria. I know this because it happened to me personally and a lot of my clients, so of course be careful and use common sense. Good luck in your search Mistaeric

I can't speak about the service level offered by you or anyone affiliated with your company. I sense you were insulted by my comments, but I stand by them.

My comment was based on my personal experiences about agents and self-proclaimed 'agents'. Every single one of them that I have encountered has tried at some point to increase prices, scam me for fees and charges that did not exist, tried to influence my wife by speaking to her in bisaya so that together they could scam me (it failed), tried to steer me away from properties that were for sale but they were not getting any cut from the potential sale, and on and on.

Only a few agents actually were accredited as real estate agents and held valid licences, with most telling bola stories that it was filled and in process, and they were a sibling/assistant to the actual agent. I remember one time when I was interested in a two story loft condo in Cebu City. I got 6 agents to take me there and show me the available units. That process really opened my eyes and after nothing shocked me. All 6 agents had different prices for the condo. Some were showing me a condo they knew was already sold but told me it was available, I guess they hoped I would just buy the condo and realize after I signed that the condo was on the other side of the building (the unit with no view). ALL of the agents had two sets of prices, one for locals issued by the developer with pre-set prices and standard percentage scales detailing exactly how much the agent would make for the sale of the condo. The other set of prices were for foreigners. The condo was offered to locals at around 6-7million php depending on the view, while the long-nose price ranged from 8million up to one guy who offered it to me at 15million (he claimed with a straight face the price was reduced from 17million). Some hilarious stuff and I would lol inside but then come down to earth when I realized that some trusting foreigner fresh in Cebu might actually be taken by these crooks.

Recently I was interested in a vacant lot. I learned early on from my condo search that I would have to do the leg work and figure everything out on my own if I wanted to find a place that was not hugely over-priced and/or ripe with issues. Once I found a subdivision that I felt suited me and my asawa I began pounding the pavement and looking high and low for the perfect lot. Again it was hilarious to see the guards faces because they would recognise both me and my asawa over and over as we were shown the available lots for sale by different agents. All the agents would bring me out and show me what was for sale. I did not tell them I was there the day before and the week before with many other agents. Almost all of them had different prices per m2. The terms and conditions were always changing, but all claimed it was the developer of the sub division that made the rules and they were just the messenger. They would show me a vacant lot for sale and I would stand there and ask if there were any lots available on the next street. They would huddle and speak bisaya and then say "sorry sir, all sold out" but I knew different because I had done some digging on my own. Agents only keep the clients interested in the offerings they can make a percentage on. They do not want to inform the client, so he will remain blind and more willing to buy what they have to sell. One lot had amazing sea views and I was interested. I got the agent to inquire and get the price. When the agent got back to me with the price they left out the part about it being tax declared land. I found that out myself and I walked away.

Also all of the agents that I have had dealings with (I would guess somewhere around 20 different agents in Cebu City now), consider that once you have contacted them to inquire about a property, that you are now their property. That they own the cash cow and if they hear you have contacted another agent to show you the same property they become arrogant and abusive when confronted and shown a lower available price for the property. They all talk and keep tabs on what's going on. If they hear that a foreigner is sniffing around a particular sub division to buy something they will inflate or keep the prices high to try and make more pesos.

So let's be clear. The real estate agents are not working for the client, they only appear to be helping. They are working for themselves and the more money they can fleece from the foreigner the better. This is my experience, and I stand by my advice to avoid getting an agent to do deals and set prices on your behalf and without being present. All of the agents that I have dealt with, ALL OF THEM have tried to scam me in one way or another and most did it so matter of fact, with a smile, and hoped I was dumb and didn't realize or know what was actually going on. Not one was trustworthy or gave me honest advice.

I now act as my own agent. I do the digging and deal direct with the owner of the property. I research the title and dig around for the best price. I have cut out the agent/middleman and I have not looked back.

smokey

Lets turn this big picture into a little picture its always about the MONEY they want more you want to give less..

smokey

I can't speak about the service level offered by you or anyone affiliated with your company. I sense you were insulted by my comments, but I stand by them.

My comment was based on my personal experiences about agents and self-proclaimed 'agents'. Every single one of them that I have encountered has tried at some point to increase prices, scam me for fees and charges that did not exist, tried to influence my wife by speaking to her in bisaya so that together they could scam me (it failed), tried to steer me away from properties that were for sale but they were not getting any cut from the potential sale, and on and on.

Only a few agents actually were accredited as real estate agents and held valid licences, with most telling bola stories that it was filled and in process, and they were a sibling/assistant to the actual agent. I remember one time when I was interested in a two story loft condo in Cebu City. I got 6 agents to take me there and show me the available units. That process really opened my eyes and after nothing shocked me. All 6 agents had different prices for the condo. Some were showing me a condo they knew was already sold but told me it was available, I guess they hoped I would just buy the condo and realize after I signed that the condo was on the other side of the building (the unit with no view). ALL of the agents had two sets of prices, one for locals issued by the developer with pre-set prices and standard percentage scales detailing exactly how much the agent would make for the sale of the condo. The other set of prices were for foreigners. The condo was offered to locals at around 6-7million php depending on the view, while the long-nose price ranged from 8million up to one guy who offered it to me at 15million (he claimed with a straight face the price was reduced from 17million). Some hilarious stuff and I would lol inside but then come down to earth when I realized that some trusting foreigner fresh in Cebu might actually be taken by these crooks.

Recently I was interested in a vacant lot. I learned early on from my condo search that I would have to do the leg work and figure everything out on my own if I wanted to find a place that was not hugely over-priced and/or ripe with issues. Once I found a subdivision that I felt suited me and my asawa I began pounding the pavement and looking high and low for the perfect lot. Again it was hilarious to see the guards faces because they would recognise both me and my asawa over and over as we were shown the available lots for sale by different agents. All the agents would bring me out and show me what was for sale. I did not tell them I was there the day before and the week before with many other agents. Almost all of them had different prices per m2. The terms and conditions were always changing, but all claimed it was the developer of the sub division that made the rules and they were just the messenger. They would show me a vacant lot for sale and I would stand there and ask if there were any lots available on the next street. They would huddle and speak bisaya and then say "sorry sir, all sold out" but I knew different because I had done some digging on my own. Agents only keep the clients interested in the offerings they can make a percentage on. They do not want to inform the client, so he will remain blind and more willing to buy what they have to sell. One lot had amazing sea views and I was interested. I got the agent to inquire and get the price. When the agent got back to me with the price they left out the part about it being tax declared land. I found that out myself and I walked away.

Also all of the agents that I have had dealings with (I would guess somewhere around 20 different agents in Cebu City now), consider that once you have contacted them to inquire about a property, that you are now their property. That they own the cash cow and if they hear you have contacted another agent to show you the same property they become arrogant and abusive when confronted and shown a lower available price for the property. They all talk and keep tabs on what's going on. If they hear that a foreigner is sniffing around a particular sub division to buy something they will inflate or keep the prices high to try and make more pesos.

So let's be clear. The real estate agents are not working for the client, they only appear to be helping. They are working for themselves and the more money they can fleece from the foreigner the better. This is my experience, and I stand by my advice to avoid getting an agent to do deals and set prices on your behalf and without being present. All of the agents that I have dealt with, ALL OF THEM have tried to scam me in one way or another and most did it so matter of fact, with a smile, and hoped I was dumb and didn't realize or know what was actually going on. Not one was trustworthy or gave me honest advice.

I now act as my own agent. I do the digging and deal direct with the owner of the property. I research the title and dig around for the best price. I have cut out the agent/middleman and I have not looked back.

i have used brokers here a few times and its not the same as in the west ... they want to list your house they ask YOU to take pictures ,, they ask you to write up an add then they list it on a free site and IF someone contacts them they give them YOUR phone number and if they come over and if you make a deal the broker will be there to ask for his FEE ... at least the brokers i have had the pleasure to deal with     oh and they want to same cut as brokers get in the west you know the ones that come over take pictures post signs.. take adds and hold open houses ,,, 

Edited by smokey

OK Buko Beach,  granted there are a lot of bad people in this profession and that is exactly why you should only deal with licensed brokers. The OP wants info and I guess from both sides so as to assess the whole situation here, so I will just give a little insight as to what we do. 

Anilou & Geoff Thomas the owner’s Have been directly involved in the Philippine real estate market for more than 7 years, Anilou along with her associates, have built up the business to become one of the better known companies within their field, performing to the high standards expected when being a member of The Philippine Institute of Real Estate Service Practitioners (PhilRES). Cebu City Chapter have been organized and approved by PhilRES National Board to unite, promote and maintain high standards of professional and ethical conduct in the exercise of the real estate profession in Cebu City. PhilRES National is the accredited professional organization of the Professional Regulation Commission for the Real Estate Service Industry. 

Our Services

Cebu City Property

Working together with the most reputable local agencies and brokerages to ensure we can offer you the most comprehensive list of available properties within the Cebu City limits. We pride ourselves on honesty, discretion and an excellent track history within the real estate market here in Cebu City

HOME SEARCH
Finding the right home is the key to a happy and productive relocation. Our comprehensive range of real estate services are designed to make the search for a new home quick efficient and hassle-free. After a detailed analysis of your requirements, we’ll select suitable properties for viewing and help navigate you through the local leasing procedures.
Our home search services include:
Need Analysis
Home Search Assistance
Accompanied Home Search
Lease Negotiation
Hand-over Assistance (Inspection report provided with digital photos)
Lease Renewal
Lease Termination
Hand-back Assistance (Inspection report provided with digital photos)

TENANCY MANAGEMENT
Once the home search stage has been completed, Cebu relocation services can provide ongoing support services for the duration of the lease.
These tenancy services can include:
Lease Compliance - ensure that provisions agreed with landlord are completed prior to occupancy.
Inspection Report – provision of a detailed report including digital photos of the condition of the property before and after the tenancy period.
Tenancy Consultation - advise the tenant of all obligations and duties they are responsible for under the terms of the lease agreement.
Connection Services – assist with applications for utilities (gas, electricity, water, telephone, internet, and cable TV).
Security Deposit Management – payment administration and collection at lease termination.
Cancellation Services – assist with the termination of utilities (gas, electricity, water, telephone, internet, and cable TV).

The level of work depends of course on the customers needs and requirements, the above list is generally all we cover when dealing with International relocation companies like Brookfields one of the largest relocation companies in the world whom expect the highest standards from all they deal with. 

This of course is directed to the rental market, but we do however also deal with Sales and this has other requirements and demands to which we also give the same level of performance. 

Happy searching for all those out there looking, hopefully you will be looked after by which ever contact, agent or even owner that you deal with

Edited by CCP
  • Like 1