Tips for house or apt hunting?

mistaeric

What do you guys look for when considering renting a place? Such as noise in the vicinity,messy neighbors etc etc.

jtmwatchbiz

we were looking for those but since they were hard to find we ended up settling into a quiet clean neighborhood :)

seriously tho, best is to pick an area of the city you like and if you find a few neighborhoods that seem appealing then look around for signs posted offering apartment and house rentals. we are in guadalupe near capitol area and i'm sure if you cruise around here you will see plenty of suitable places. there is actually a nice place next door to us that will be vacant in a couple of months and if you like i can find out more for you.

good luck in your search and sundays are a great day to look as not much traffic!

fred

Edited by jtmwatchbiz

I have learned over time to always have a Pinoy do the leg work and establish the price before I get involved.  I seem to get much better deals this way. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

If the landlord is going to charge a foreigner more, then wouldn't he/she just raise the price or even be pissed off that you tried to trick them by having a pinoy pretend they were the renter?

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

If the landlord is going to charge a foreigner more then wouldn't he/she just raise the price or even be pissed off that you tried to trick them by having a pinoy pretend they were the renter?

if i every showed up at someone's place looking to rent it they would take one look at me and tell me i couldn't afford it :)

Buko Beach

I have learned over time to always have a Pinoy do the leg work and establish the price before I get involved.  I seem to get much better deals this way. 

That can work, so long as the local doing the deal is very and I mean VERY trustworthy. Having a casual friend, GF or whom-ever make deals on your behalf will mean there will be a 'service charge' in there some where for the person making the deal. The absolute worst person to make deals on your behalf would be some kind of real estate agent.

To the OP, best thing to do is pound the uneven pavement and be wary of askal landmines that lurk around every corner. Pick an area of the city that appeals to you and ticks all your boxes in terms of near-by service related offerings. You hang-out a lot at a sushi place in Mactan, then look for a place near it to save you a ton of time and pesos. Priorities man...priorities.

Once you find a place that looks good from the outside and the area seems up to your standards write down the number. Most places are advertised with a small hand-written sign that has a contact number. Get a local to call and ask about the size (how many rooms, CR's ect), when the place is available to rent and the price. Also inquire if the person you are talking to is the owner. A lot of times it's always best to deal direct with the owner. Many have learned the hard way (huge rent increase once you have moved in, utilities not included ect once they see you are a foreigner).

If it sounds like a place you are interested in renting get your local friend to text the person the next day and schedule a time to view the apartment/house/condo/whatever. Last trick is right after the person replies with a date of viewing, get the local friend to text the owner back and ask how much. If the owner replies and gives a figure that matches what was discussed earlier that is a good sign. Now you can view the place and if the owner tries to pull a fast one and increase the rent your 'friend' can pull out her cell phone and show the owner the price quoted by text message. 

If you get bad vibes do not rent the place. Things will not get any better no matter what the owner pledges to fix/paint/install. Better to walk away than to live in a bad situation.

Once you find a place that suits your needs and the price is right and all other issues have been ironed out. Walk around the neighbourhood. Look for things that might make your stay difficult. Things like a bar close-by (a positive or a negative depending on the person). Last thing would be to visit the street after dark. Walk around and listen to things. You just might realize that the neighbour across the street turns his yard into a karaoke bar. (I know, I know you can't really escape loud karaoke in the Philippines lol)

Take the time and look at different places and don't be in a rush to pick the first one that comes along.

Edited by Buko Beach
Buko Beach

If the landlord is going to charge a foreigner more then wouldn't he/she just raise the price or even be pissed off that you tried to trick them by having a pinoy pretend they were the renter?

Naawwoooo, tell the owner that the GF that previously inquired about the price, was lured away by some other dude that offered her more onions.

Edited by Buko Beach
Headshot

What do you guys look for when considering renting a place? Such as noise in the vicinity,messy neighbors etc etc.

There is no way you could assure that there will never be noise or messy neighbors. The field behind my house is used for a motocross track and fiesta that occurs for a week once or twice a year. You would have to be there that week to find out this happens. Every other week, the neighborhood is pretty quiet (other than the fighting cocks going off in the early morning (pre-dawn) hours. When you look around, it appears to be a clean neighborhood. Somebody moves out and is replaced by a slob. What are you going to do at that point? Some things you can control...others you can't. Neighbors may tell you about these things when you're looking if you ask, but don't bet on it. Take your best shot and take your chances.

• Like 1
ed villas

when you find an area, go by it at different times of the day and at night.

so you can get a feel of how it really is, go midweek. on a fri or sat night to see how it is.

i have done that in the past and it helped me to make the BEST DECISION for me/family

Scottiev

lol i just tell the GF what i want , what i will pay as far as deposits and monthly rent and she goes around asks the guards at the subdivisions she likes , asks friends or checks on sulit... this year it only took two places before we could come to an agreement with a landlord.. only one months rent and one months deposit ( half to be consumed at the end of the lease and half held until all utilities are paid) we signed a 6 mth lease ( even though i'll only be here 4, but she and the girls can stay as its close to thier school) @ 16k/mth + utilities..The owner and his wife ( canadian/filipina couple) were willing to do a 3 month at 18k/mth + utilities also.. its a nice subdivision close to a Gasano( sp i know lol)and one trikey ride to the girls school...a 2 bedroom/1 cr house with a carport and nicely if moderately furnished, we have PDLT dsl internet and skye tv... i couldnt be happier with her selection :)

edit: as an aside it started off as asking for 2 months rent and 2 months deposit @ 20k/mth with a 1 year lease.. but the GF really stepped up and negotiated a deal i could live with, very proud of her !!

Edited by Scottiev

If renting an apartment in a building, stay as far away from the elevator, staircase and garbage chute as you possibly can. Less bugs or chance of bugs and a lot less noise. 

I think some members of this forum have places to rent. The one type of landlord that won't be prejudice against you for being an expat is another expat.

ed villas

I think some members of this forum have places to rent. The one type of landlord that won't be prejudice against you for being an expat is another expat.

yes thats true some expats do have "units"for rent, tho i have read that 1 would be leery or histant 

to rent to another expat unless he was married, (family man)as the owner could be "liable" or have unneeded attention should his

tenant cause any problems

That can work, so long as the local doing the deal is very and I mean VERY trustworthy. Having a casual friend, GF or whom-ever make deals on your behalf will mean there will be a 'service charge' in there some where for the person making the deal. The absolute worst person to make deals on your behalf would be some kind of real estate agent.

To the OP, best thing to do is pound the uneven pavement and be wary of askal landmines that lurk around every corner. Pick an area of the city that appeals to you and ticks all your boxes in terms of near-by service related offerings. You hang-out a lot at a sushi place in Mactan, then look for a place near it to save you a ton of time and pesos. Priorities man...priorities.

Once you find a place that looks good from the outside and the area seems up to your standards write down the number. Most places are advertised with a small hand-written sign that has a contact number. Get a local to call and ask about the size (how many rooms, CR's ect), when the place is available to rent and the price. Also inquire if the person you are talking to is the owner. A lot of times it's always best to deal direct with the owner. Many have learned the hard way (huge rent increase once you have moved in, utilities not included ect once they see you are a foreigner).

If it sounds like a place you are interested in renting get your local friend to text the person the next day and schedule a time to view the apartment/house/condo/whatever. Last trick is right after the person replies with a date of viewing, get the local friend to text the owner back and ask how much. If the owner replies and gives a figure that matches what was discussed earlier that is a good sign. Now you can view the place and if the owner tries to pull a fast one and increase the rent your 'friend' can pull out her cell phone and show the owner the price quoted by text message. 

If you get bad vibes do not rent the place. Things will not get any better no matter what the owner pledges to fix/paint/install. Better to walk away than to live in a bad situation.

Once you find a place that suits your needs and the price is right and all other issues have been ironed out. Walk around the neighbourhood. Look for things that might make your stay difficult. Things like a bar close-by (a positive or a negative depending on the person). Last thing would be to visit the street after dark. Walk around and listen to things. You just might realize that the neighbour across the street turns his yard into a karaoke bar. (I know, I know you can't really escape loud karaoke in the Philippines lol)

Take the time and look at different places and don't be in a rush to pick the first one that comes along.

Any kind of real estate agent ????? Really?

I am sure if you talk with any one of my clients you will get very positive feed back fro all of them.

And to let everybody know what brokers get is generally one months rent for one year contract, we supply the contracts usually that are pretty standard and not biased to the owner. Having been in the business for 8 years here what you the possible tenant will not know is which landlords to completely avoid! There are some absolute nightmare landlords/ladies out there so be careful.

We have national board qualifications which if you do deal with any so called brokers, they should show you their qualification certificate or ID. We also try to negotiate the price for our clients. So when generalizing "Do not trust any brokers" I have to disagree as would brookfields international relocation company, one of a few such companies we deal directly with.

Right enough we deal in a specialized market in the mid to high end, we have a proffesional office, pleasant staff, official receipts, modern car to pick you up and show you around not only houses but if new arrivals the surrounding areas and malls restaurants etc.

So to cap this off, don't trust any real estate brokers unless of course you want the job done properly from the right people with local knowledge.

If how ever you find a rouge agent, you will probably be asked to meet at somewhere like Bo's coffee, to find 2 or more people wanting you to buy drinks, snacks, followed by we need to get a taxi ( which again you will pay for ) and lastly you will be shown a load of properties that don't match your criteria. I know this because it happened to me personally and a lot of my clients, so of course be careful and use common sense. Good luck in your search Mistaeric

• Like 1
smokey

yes thats true some expats do have "units"for rent, tho i have read that 1 would be leery or histant 

to rent to another expat unless he was married, (family man)as the owner could be "liable" or have unneeded attention should his

tenant cause any problems

you mean like bringing high school girls back to his place to study 

• Like 1