XP Update will not work.

RogerDat

Greetings! I cannot get XP to update ( security updates) It says they are corrupt and unreadeable.

My BITS is in bits, and I cannot get that to repaire, nor the download updater.

Has Microsoft stopped support for XP early? they will not ansewer the question.

They will not suport U from the US if in PI, and the support office in PI is apparently no longer in operation according to them.

Edited by RogerDat
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
It's supposed to be supported till April 2014. Not sure that means you can't even update it online though.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

It says April 2014 is also the date when up-dates stop. So they should still be working now.

Edited by Salty Dog

Windows Update now requires Internet Explorer version 8 or above. What version of IE does your XP installation have?

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Windows Update now requires Internet Explorer version 8 or above. What version of IE does your XP installation have?

I have Chrome and all my updates work just fine, at least for Windows 7. Actually on mine it does not use a browser to update. There is an update command that runs: wuapp.exe.

mikejwoodnz

I have a newish computer with XP because I did not like Windows 7. I solved the update problems by switching Auto Updating off LOL - running Chrome also.

I have a copy of XP, which had a volume licence key, i have put this on loads of PC's and had no problem,

I put it on a PC a couple of weeks ago and after it tried to validate, microsoft said the product key has now been blocked..

• 2 weeks later...
RogerDat

Greetings! The error "

The procedure entry point GetProcessID  could not be located in the dynamic link libeary KERNAL.32.dll."

comes up when installing any update. I found a post that Microsoft released an update last July that effectively killed the system, and they are investigating how it got released. They say they cannot keep ahead of the viruses being released, and so require you to upgrade to version 7, and that one will stop working in 2015, the 8.1 is slated for operating until 2023.

All of my anti virus programs have disappeared, even my Adobe flash is gone, and I cannot replace it. The rescue disk are also disabled. Reinstalling XP just made it worse. I got internet, but not much else. My machine is old, was planning to up grade it before April, but now, I am think of using Linux OS instead of 8.1 as I hear it is not good with a desk top, and has a terrible picture viewer program, mostly it is a touch screen OS, and i cannot feel much with my fingers. I have lots of trouble using the ATM's because of it.

My copy of XP is the original came with my computer from Gateway, and has passed validation check, but still will not properly load.

Edited by RogerDat
CardiacKid

If you are thinking of using Linux, I would suggest Mint Linux 13, it is a long term release and is supported until April 2017. Here is a link to their site  http://www.linuxmint.com/  You can get some idea of the variety of Linux OS's by looking at this site.  http://distrowatch.com/  You really should start with a OS that is newbie friendly. Mint Linux is definitely that and also has a free downloadable user guide. They also have a Forum where you can get help if you need it. Do your due diligence and I think you will be surprised at how far Linux has come in the last 5 years. CAVEAT:  If you use Magic Jack, it WILL NOT work in any Linux OS. Magic Jack has not furnished a driver for it and has blocked Linux developers from publishing one. 

• Like 1