Sign in to follow this  
broden

Who Still Hasn't Checked In?

broden

welcome back

samatm

FINALLY back online. Opening this thread it's heart warming to see the concern shown by fellow forum members. We truly are a community. We have a generator but there has been no useable Internet signal until this morning.

Typhoon Yolanda passed directly over us and she was a bitch! By some amazing good luck or more likely terrain factors, our house suffered only minor damage while all around us nipa hut s were flattened and concrete houses had their roofs torn off. Roads were completely blocked by trees in our area for two days, but since have been cleared. Since we were the only house with electric and ample water we became the defacto disaster relief center. The first night we had 50 or so people staying in our small home and we were supplying water for our sitio for maybe a week, until the barangay water was fixed.

Life is slowly returning to near normal with most people in their hastily repaired homes and a roof over their heads. We live in a rice growing area so most people have enough rice to survive and no one is starving, yet. We usually keep a good supply of perishable items in our freezer and with the generator available are able to live off of them for a couple of weeks. We have our own supply of water from a spring that provides more than enough, so we are in pretty good shape right now. The biggest problem is the cost of running the generator. It burns one liter per hour and with diesel going for 60 pesos per liter, it gets expensive fast. We are limiting use to about 8 hours a day but still a big expense.

We have been to Ormoc a few times and it is a mess. Initially there were HUGE lines for gas, ATM and supermarkets. Robinsons is limiting purchases to one hand carried basket and by yesterday their shelves were almost bare. Lines have since shrunk and will return to normal soon as people realize that there is plenty of gas, food etc. in the pipeline so no need to panic.

Relief efforts in our area have been minimal. As sky man mentioned the initial offering was buggy cornmeal and one package of instant noodles per family. Pathetic and disgusting. I'm sure the larger cities are getting first attention and food will filter out this way eventually. My gf has been providing some food and nails that were donated by her friends in Cebu, but that isn't nearly enough. She was elected Barangay Kapitan in the last election but doesn't take office until Dec 1, so no govt money yet.

Things will work out eventually and we are thankful there were no lives lost or serious injuries in our small part of Le

Thanks for the Update.  We will be heading to Kananaga later this week...as reports are our house suffered heavy roof damage and things are getting wet.

So do you know if building supplies  are avail in Ormoc?   Gasoline,  YOu have power now ?   How did you get online ?  via mobile? 

Paul

Steve pulled a list for me of the last 800 member log ins to the forum.

i went through the list and pulled out everyone who's last log in was november 9th or earlier and alphabetized it

of course we have some info on some of these members now line Easy44 and some are people who signed up and never posted some are members who have been banned and of course many of them are not located in the Philippines but it would of been for too time consuming and complicated to separate out people on all those levels

so anyway here's the list

0riana
123 lapu
54guy
6amon9
A_Simple_Man
Adrian
af_phils
airforceone

----------------- truncated ---------------

HOLY SHITE! Man, that still took a little time, eh? 

broden

HOLY SHITE! Man, that still took a little time, eh? 

was the least i could do

i never let it be said that i don't ever do the least i can do

• Like 1

Brucewayne

Hyaku and A_Simple_Man not seen since.

Dave (the simple man) is still in Canada.

He just doesn't use his computer much anymore.

• Like 2

Brucewayne

Dave is either on Biliran, or Northern Leyte. I think Biliran, actually. He hasn't checked in. He's Canadian. 

He went home a few months ago.

Be back next year as he needs to drive his Greyhound bus once in a while to supplement his income.

SkyMan

was the least i could do

i never let it be said that i don't ever do the least i can do

At least...

• Like 1

RPretire?

cnn reported that 2 americans were confirmed dead during the typhoon but have not been named as of yet.

CNN now reporting 5 americans reported dead, still no names.

Edited by RPretire?

easy44

Thanks for the Update.  We will be heading to Kananaga later this week...as reports are our house suffered heavy roof damage and things are getting wet.

So do you know if building supplies  are avail in Ormoc?   Gasoline,  YOu have power now ?   How did you get online ?  via mobile?

Yes,building supplies are available but prices are jacked up. Nothing you can do about that. Gasoline no problem now. I have a pocket wifi with a Globe sim that I am using with my ipad. Smartphone also works.
  • Like 1

Jester

He went home a few months ago.

Be back next year as he needs to drive his Greyhound bus once in a while to supplement his income.

Heard from him today, he is in Dumaguete.  Whiner

• Like 1

Brucewayne

Heard from him today, he is in Dumaguete.  Whiner

Yep, not interested in coming back to Cebu for some reason.

He said to me that he might move to Duma permanently.

I still have it in my head that my family might enjoy the cleaner air outside of Duma, but close enough to be there in less than an hour.

john74

I Hope all our fellow there are ok now.. God bless guys...

dutchben

There are still 2 dutch people missing write my goverment.

There are permanent resedent of the philipines, don't know iff there are members here