Sign in to follow this  
ron100

pink salts and or salt for makeing brines and hams and curing bacon

ron100

hi is there any where in cebu that have these types of curing salts, nitrate? and nitrites/ i think they are

thanks

KennyF

It's called Prague Powder and you get it in any decent sized super market. I used to buy mine from SM mall there in Cebu.

You will see it easily by its bright pink color.

Don't use too much.

KonC

• Like 1

CardiacKid

It is called Prague Powder here and is available in many supermarkets. White Gold Club has it regularly.

Majorsco

Keep in mind that this formula is for sausages and hams and is not the equivalent of Prague powder #2 for making hard dried sausage like pepperoni or salami.

KennyF

Keep in mind that this formula is for sausages and hams and is not the equivalent of Prague powder #2 for making hard dried sausage like pepperoni or salami.

It's fine for making air dried salami type sausage. I made many kilos when I lived in Cebu and also here on Camiguin.

Here's a note made back then.......

Wednesday December 12th 2006 8:00 pm (18th batch) 2 kilos

Pork mince          2000 grams already chopped from SM about 25% fat content

Garlic              2 clove garlic fine chopped

Prague Powder       2 teaspoon

Non iodized salt    4 teaspoon (Morton's)

Ground black pepper 4 teaspoon

Oats                4 table spoons

Brown sugar         2 tablespoons

Italian herbs       2 tablespoons

Liquid Smoke        2 Table spoons

Yakult              2 bottle

Mixed for 5 minutes then put into pig casings.

Good taste and consistency by day 3 (16th Dec)

21st Dec (9 days) excellent.

I think it is drying too fast due to fans.

KonC

Edited by KennyF
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

It is called Prague Powder here and is available in many supermarkets. White Gold Club has it regularly.

I've driven by White Gold Club several times and always wondered what it was. Is it just a large grocery store? Does it require some sort of membership?

KennyF

I've driven by White Gold Club several times and always wondered what it was. Is it just a large grocery store? Does it require some sort of membership?

Not at all.

It's just a HUGE old fashioned WallMart type place.

They have lots of stuff you won't find elsewhere.

KonC

jojogumabew

I make bacon, pancetta, chorizo and sausages regularly (all cured in ref) and I've made an air dried ham (11 kg whole leg) which I cured in my ref for a year. I've been doing this for 10+ years.

IMHO, for bacon, small hams, chorizo, unless institutional quantity or not ref cured or you like the color, no need for pink salt. Bacon I make occasionally and hot smoke. However, I think bacon is not worth the effort because you can buy it at S&R in cebu for P300 per kg. Pancetta on the other hand is really easy to make, no need to skin, chorizo is also easy and cost vs retail price makes it easily worth it. Sausages we make because homemade is so much better (no filler, can use good pork,etc). I don't bother to use casing most of the time. I met someone who is into food additives and he said commercial sausage is only 25% meat (vs fat, tvp, water). 

Chicken ham I put a little in the brine I inject. It's interesting once in a while and cost vs retail price is ok.

Pork loin I don't.

Large ham, was trying to make a parma ham you could eat raw. It was decent but I think not worth the hassle. To make a really good ham, you need a large free range pig. Also takes so much space in the ref. I think you could cure it first in the ref till it's dry enough a couple of months then further cure it in a wooden box with wood ash (to prevent bugs). I just bbox country ham from the USA.

Anyway, as with curing, need to make sure everything is clean, very cold, etc so you don't make anyone sick.

Cheers!

Majorsco

All I can say is know the ingredients. Prague #1 is not the same as Prague #2. For chorizo and sausages refrigerated, Prague powder #1 is right. For air dried sausages that are open air dried like salami ( of course not at tropical air tps but at 50-60 degrees f) then you need Prague #2 to prevent botulism.

ron100

its to manily make or do some bacon and hams with some pickled pork and corn beef or silverside or try for soem thing to do?maybe ox tounge if can get on no set plan yet , just wanted to know if can get the curing slats there so looks like u can

thanks

CardiacKid

I saw Prague Powder for sale today in the spices aisle in White Gold. Sorry, didn't note the price. It is in clear plastic bags in the repacked spices display.