CNN Anderson Cooper covering Typhoon

keep their feet to the fire anderson (and all other reporters)! 

IMHO Anderson Cooper is a sham reporter!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USCebuana

• Ronin

• Majorsco

• johnormoc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just watched Cooper's response to the criticisms of his reporting.  Thought it was very measured, accurate (in terms of what he was alleged to have said but did not actually say) and fair.  Having wat

one thing I have learnt ,philippinos have a hard time admitting they are wrong sometimes ,pride gets in the way of their rational thinking .so best to just let them think they are right to save gettin

keep their feet to the fire anderson (and all other reporters)!  it's scary to think how slowly things would be going if not for the international coverage.  filipino politicians are not accustomed to

Posted Images

USMC-Retired

CNN is a US based news reporting agency. If Filipinos watch it and are upset sorry but this is for the US audiences.  It is to show what there tax dollars and relief efforts are actually buying.  Filipinos either want the help and with it comes reporting on the help or not.  Cooper and others are not grandstanding it is a rating driven market and they find the stories that help bring those up.  If you do not like the dirt then do not watch.  Yes before people say oh its CNN world news.  It is still based in the US and still derives the majority of its revenue from US markets.  

• Like 4

Thanks for your opinion but this thread is about his coverage of the Typhoon.

Do you have anything on topic to contribute?

judging by the arguments we have here on this site i wouldn't suggest the locals have anything cornered in that department :)

u have hit the nail on the head with this comment could not agree more  :cool:

Cheers

Mark

I tivoed all the broadcasts I could find so my wife could see them the next day.  I am not a great Anderson Cooper fan but I thought his broadcasts were the best.  His last I saw was when he was in that air hanger/warehouse in Tacoloban that was full to the ceiling with bags of what appeared to be rice while just outside people were begging for just enough to feed their family for one meal.  His comments about those people 200 yards away not getting any rice while tons of it sat nearby were point on.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

The one I just saw on his 360 show was about a man dying from a broken leg. At first he got an infection because no antibiotics. Then he had to have surgery and he died because no blood was available.

The blood part is not surprising. Only 5% of the people in the world that can give blood are donors. More than half the worlds population is Asian, over 4 billion. Yet they only make up 1.5% of those blood donors..

Edited by Salty Dog

Thanks for your opinion but this thread is about his coverage of the Typhoon.

Do you have anything on topic to contribute?

Pardon me, I made the mistake of reading the title of this thread.

quit_yume

i think what the world is seeing now is just how inept the government of the philippines is in general.. maybe they suspected it,  maybe they heard about it, but now they actually see it and i think most are appalled.  its not cooper's or anybody else's fault that the light they are shining happens to expose the degree of ineptness that is already present there.  they had no ability to know what that light would expose beforehand.   if someone thinks aquino or any other government official should not be challenged then maybe they have a problem with the concepts of democracy and free press.     maybe now with all the attention focused on them in such an international way their own people will push for changes.   things are bad... but maybe there is opportunity here for the philippines if they can just stop being so sensitive and reluctant to engage in confrontation.

• Like 7

...I made the mistake of reading...

yep, in this forum that can often be a mistake!  :)

senseless

I think he gave an excellent interview on Amanpour.

Personally, I was amazed.

Edited by senseless
David_LivinginTalisay

Andrew Stevens did not only have an Interview with the President B.S Aquini III but also Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), Mar Roxas.

Seems everyone Andrew Stevens interviews come under a level of 'falling short' of expectations.

Sec. Mar Roxas character exposed in interview with CNN’s Andrew Stevens at Yolanda disaster site

http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2013/11/korina-sanchez-is-mar-roxass-wife-and-other-insights-gleaned-from-the-yolanda-disaster/

are you a sham poster?How ridicules!

Edited by Baywak
David_LivinginTalisay
November 12th, 2013
03:50 PM ET

By Dominique van Heerden, CNN

A well-publicized estimate that Typhoon Haiyan killed 10,000 people in the Philippines is "too much," and the death toll likely is closer to 2,000 or 2,500, President Benigno Aquino told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in an exclusive interview on Tuesday.

“There was emotional trauma involved with that particular estimate quoting both the police official and local government,” he said, adding that “they did not have a basis for it”. He did however acknowledge that the number “might still get higher.”

President Aquino said they are still trying to establish their numbers and have another 29 municipalities to contact before they can finalize a death toll.

Typhoon Haiyan is one of the worst typhoons in recorded history, and the monster storm left behind a catastrophic scene after it made landfall last Friday, leaving many without access to food and medical care.

When asked about his government’s reaction to the crisis, President Aquino told Amanpour he feels the immediate response has been “reassuring” to the vast majority of people but that “two or three” local governments were “simply overwhelmed” by the severity of the typhoon that hit the islands. For example, in Tacloban, only 20 of 290 police were available when disaster struck; many were tending to their own families, he said.

Aquino expressed gratitude for the aid that has been pouring in from around the world. "There are, at last count, over 22 countries have either pledged to us, actually given us aid," he said.

Typhoons are not an unusual occurrence in the Philippines, but the president says this year has been “an exceptionally bad year”. Responding to a question about the vulnerability of his country to climate change, President Aquino called it an “accepted reality”. But, he had a stark warning to developed countries, saying there has to be a sense of moral responsibility because global warming is “playing havoc” with the lives of others.

“Either we come up with a solution that everybody adheres to and cooperates with,” he said, “or let us be prepared to meet disasters, every increasing disasters, on a global level.”

Filed under:  Christiane Amanpour • Latest Episode • Philippines

Andrew Stevens did not only have an Interview with the President B.S Aquini III but also Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), Mar Roxas.

Seems everyone Andrew Stevens interviews come under a level of 'falling short' of expectations.

Sec. Mar Roxas character exposed in interview with CNN’s Andrew Stevens at Yolanda disaster site

http://getrealphilippines.com/blog/2013/11/korina-sanchez-is-mar-roxass-wife-and-other-insights-gleaned-from-the-yolanda-disaster/

Just to the record straight Andrew Steven interviewed Mar Roxas

Christiane Amanpour interviewed the President.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79BLlzvksAo

Concerning the story in your link about Roxas:

I think that site has an axe to grind, they used sensational words and fluffed over what really happened in the interview...

Example from the news story:

"At one point during the interview, Roxas was arguing over the treatment of dead bodies left rotting on the roads. Stevens pointed out that every day, he sees the same decomposing bodies when he passes by the same road on the way to the city. But Roxas vehemently denied they were the same bodies, stopping short of calling Stevens a liar. The DILG Secretary showed his arrogance in that instance."

From what I recall Roxas explained that there bodies were not the same because the body collection works like this

1) bodies are brought from the interior and placed on the main road (in body bags)

2) trucks come be and collect the bodies

3) go to step 1

So it's plausible that Roxas was right and Stevens was wrong but the web site called Roxas on his arrogance?

I'm not defending anyone here, just want people to look at what transpired (watch the videos) and judge for yourself.

That goes doubly for what the truth on the ground is.  Being an English speaker my best source is Anderson Cooper at the moment and I think he's doing a great job of reporting.

Disclaimer:  I'm not endorsing Cooper or CNN or anyone, I'm only endorsing his reporting of this incident.

• Like 2