safety tips for jolo travel

Frosty

Here's the deal. I want to go to Jeminah's wedding, but she says it might be in her home town of Jolo.

Any one have any ideas regarding safety tips?

Body-guards obviously, but how many? Maybe I could hire some of the steroid guys at the gym? (well i don't know for a fact that they are on steroids).

I'm at a loss as to what else?

Here's the deal. I want to go to Jeminah's wedding, but she says it might be in her home town of Jolo.

Body-guards obviously, but how many? Maybe I could hire some of the steroid guys at the gym? (well i don't know for a fact that they are on steroids).

No way that it could be safe! Even my Muslim friends told me never, never, never, bring your husband beyond Zamboanga City! Bodyguard would not count! I love Zamboanga and its nearby islands which are truly beautiful and scenic , but I just have to follow what the locals advised. Anyway you can always travel at your own risks! :lol:

• Admin (Retired)
broden

send a webcam hat for whoever is officiating the wedding to wear

smokey

I am sorry to say I agree ... my wife is from that area and her brother is stationed there and some of her relatives are Muslim and still her brother says... please dont come here i can not protect you .... How much more if I was to go..... When she does go her Muslim family members pick her up and let the whole area know ... blood is thicker then water...

Bob Ward

Dude, how well do you know this person Jeminah? It could all be a scam to kidnap you and then the forum would be completely off ballance because you hold down one of the outside edges of it!

Lee

Stay home!

Paul

Leo, although I haven't kept up with current goings on in and around Jolo, I do know there have been some serious goings on there in the past.

For any foreigner to have bodyguards in this country is insane. That, alone, makes you a target. You want to be more subtle, not stick out like a thumb, which you are going to do anyway being a number of shades whiter than the locals.

With that said, I will not advise anyone to go to Jolo, not without doing more research anyway. However, my personal thoughts are similar to those regarding Zamboanga - I would go there.

Of course, a number of people I know, both on these forums and off, probably question my sanity, regarding travel in the Philippines anyway. :)

Damairaki
Leo, although I haven't kept up with current goings on in and around Jolo, I do know there have been some serious goings on there in the past.

For any foreigner to have bodyguards in this country is insane. That, alone, makes you a target. You want to be more subtle, not stick out like a thumb, which you are going to do anyway being a number of shades whiter than the locals.

With that said, I will not advise anyone to go to Jolo, not without doing more research anyway. However, my personal thoughts are similar to those regarding Zamboanga - I would go there.

Of course, a number of people I know, both on these forums and off, probably question my sanity, regarding travel in the Philippines anyway. :lol:

:)

@ Mr. Bamboo - Jolo!? How about the Golden Triangle, Afghanistans Hellman-province or Myanmar? Any travel-advice there? How about hiking in Somalia or chilling out in Zimbabwe? Do you get my point or shall I spell it for you!? <_<

Edited by Damairaki
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

well he could always get a bunch of that spray on tan stuff to start .. or some wood stain or shellac something :)

actually jokes aside i was thinking sitting around at someones wedding with bodyguards would go along way to taking the attention off the bride on her big day and putting it on someone else

Edited by broden
Frosty

Well, I was not really serious. However, "She's a terroist and it's a trap and they will kill you" Thats what I heard from everyone when i was planning to go to Cebu for the first time.... Hey, maybe it would be better to discuss why they want foreigners out.

• Admin (Retired)
broden
Well, I was not really serious. However, "She's a terroist and it's a trap and they will kill you" Thats what I heard from everyone when i was planning to go to Cebu for the first time.... Hey, maybe it would be better to discuss why they want foreigners out.

cause we're no fun at weddings

Torestre

Isnt Jolo the island where one of those American missionaries lost his head some years ago???

I wouldnt go, unless I had a platoon of american marines as body guards. But with a company like that, I would be extremely brave for sure. :biggrin_01:

Frosty

Yap, In the Sulu Archipelago. I've had several Tau'sug friends--(One of the Muslim tribes that inhabits Sulu). I think all Badjao also trace their roots there. That is why sometimes you see beggars with underwear on their head--they are Muslim.

They said, the US military is already present there sometimes. But I am not a missionary... I'm not even Christian, so what motive is there to behead me? I know the myth propogated by US media "They hate the Western world because we are free." It's not true. I think it is just our immortality and self-centered, spoiled consumer culture that they hate.

Bastos

"... I'm not even Christian, so what motive is there to behead me? I know the myth propogated by US media "They hate the Western world because we are free." It's not true. I think it is just our immortality and self-centered, spoiled consumer culture that they hate."

You're right. I say go ahead and go for it. By all means, check the place out and give us a trip report. Have fun!!!

Lee
But I am not a missionary... I'm not even Christian, so what motive is there to behead me?

I guess because you are not a Muslim, therefore an infidel in the eyes of radical Muslims.

Besides, do they really need a reason.

Heck, I say go for it and if you make it back then you can tell us all about it.