Rainwater harvesting diverter - "First Flush System".

I may be wrong. But, I imagine it isn't quite as illegal as people have made it out to be. For example, I have read, countless times, that it is illegal to harvest water in Texas. That couldn't be further from the truth. Much of the information I have secured, including PDF files from Government agencies.

Edited by Paul

could you show us a photo of this design/set up?

Can't now, sorry. We bought a new house and my system is dismantled, sitting out by the mini barn. Probably will be next summer before I get it back up. (We are coming to Cebu for the winter, Hooray!)

Like Paul, I did my research on You Tube. LDSPrepper has several vids of his set up. Mine was similar except I used the 15 gallon barrel as my first flush container instead of a long piece of 4" PVC pipe. 

Oregon man in possession of 13 million gallons of illicit rainwater sentenced to jail

Collecting rainwater from a residential roof is one thing, but that guy had built 3 dams on his property.

Headshot

Collecting rainwater from a residential roof is one thing, but that guy had built 3 dams on his property.

He's lucky he wasn't shot. People in the western US take water rights pretty seriously.

One thing to keep in mind here is, his dams, over this length of time, have also become a part of the local ecosystem.

Not to mention, he stated they originally gave him permits to do it, later going back on their deal. 

But, I have to say, he has a hell of a lot more water storage from his harvesting, than I ever will! :D

Now, back to "first flush systems".

• Like 2

There are several 1st flush systems on youtube. I'm sure Paul has seem all of them. One uses a ping pong ball as the float! 

There are several 1st flush systems on youtube. I'm sure Paul has seem all of them. One uses a ping pong ball as the float! 

I pulled the cap off the bottom of mine today. Wasn't much, really. Mostly dirt off the roof. I would dare say, not even a table spoon full. 

I pulled out the 1.5 liter water bottle. All looked good. I saw the water line on the bottle. It hits the bell reducer well before the tube fills completely up. The water line was not even 1/3rd the way up the bottle.

Anyway, it definitely is doing its job. 

When I opened my system after a full season (March-October) there wasn't anything big inside. I thank the gutter screens and the screen over the entrance funnel for that. But there was a lot of green slime. I don't consider that a bad thing, but if my wife ever saw that she'd be grossed out. 

• Like 1