Thinking about trashing my 13A

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I am seriously considering just giving up my 13A visa. If by some very extremely rare circumstance should I choose to live in the Philippines for many years again I would more prefer one of the retirement visa options. The travel tax on every departure is kind of a thorn in my side. It just reeks of "Treat you like a Filipino citizen only when financially beneficial to  us."

My interest in becoming a naturalized citizen here went away a long time ago. So.... 

The 13A visa is good for someone who wants to live here and rarely travels outside of the Philippines. Even then you are left to register like a dog every year.. I feel as mine was a waste of time and money.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

Edited by Monsoon
SkyMan

Depends on how much you travel I guess.  It has saved me big bucks living here but if you travel a lot it isn't the best option.  The cost to leave is about the same as a 2 month extension for a tourist.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I despise  visiting immigration for extensions - that is the main reason I got one to begin with. But lets say I visit for even 6 months at a time, I can send someone to do my extensions for me. And while here I do enjoy traveling around the region. 

SkyMan

If your wife travels with you, including short trips out of the country, the BB stamp would ne the way to go.

how much is the travel tax ? 

When you leave the country on a 13a you pay about p3K.

MarinePride

When I moved here four years ago with the family the first thing I did was start the 13A process and I don't think I'd want to go through it again.  Too much paperwork and appointments for me, not to mention the inconvenient dress code every time I go to immigration.  In my four years here, I only flew out of the country one time.  The reason I flew out is because I actually figured that working again and making some money was better than just milling around and being bored half of the time.  I'll probably fly out again in a few months and work in the USA for six months or so.  Wife and kids will stay here.

All of the events that have happened since I got back here in August have made me reconsider my idea of living here for the rest of my life.  The incident in Zamboanga with the muslim rebels, the Bohol earthquake and now this super typhoon.  I know that this country will never get its act together and I have no rights here to speak of.  More and more I find myself asking the question, "Why do I put up with this?" 

The USA has a lot of hopeless problems too, but damn, at least the B.S. is more bearable than it is here. 

Anyway back to the 13A now.  When I was at JFK airport in New York back in August for my return flight back to this paradise, the check in counter at Singapore Airlines wanted to know where my round trip ticket was.  I told them that I'm a resident of the Philippines and this guy just gave me a weird freakish look.  I then showed him my passport and the 13A stamp and even my I Card.  He then took these documents and walked off to a guy over in a corner wearing a suit, talked to him for about a minute and then came back to the counter where I was waiting to be checked into the flight.  He told me that if I was not a resident I would have needed a return ticket.  So the 13A status saved me from that hassle.

When I arrived in Mactan and went through immigration at the airport the immigration lady wanted to know my return date and I just showed her my I card and she wrote "13A" on a line where they stamp the passport with the Philippine immigration info.  If they don't get you one way, they will get you another way, but make no mistake about it, they WILL get you.

Time to get something usefull done with the day now, Crosswind needs a washing!

• Like 2
Davaoeno

"Why do I put up with this?" 

often heard from residents of new orleans, detroit, east LA, tornado alley etc etc etc 

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

how much is the travel tax ? 

Its around 3k. I can't remember the exact but its enough to make you want to mutter: 'f*ckers' as you hand it over. 

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Anyway back to the 13A now.  When I was at JFK airport in New York back in August for my return flight back to this paradise, the check in counter at Singapore Airlines wanted to know where my round trip ticket was.  I told them that I'm a resident of the Philippines and this guy just gave me a weird freakish look.  I then showed him my passport and the 13A stamp and even my I Card.  He then took these documents and walked off to a guy over in a corner wearing a suit, talked to him for about a minute and then came back to the counter where I was waiting to be checked into the flight.  He told me that if I was not a resident I would have needed a return ticket.  So the 13A status saved me from that hassle.

On my way back here just a few days ago they annoyed the shit out of me by paging me TWICE about my 'return ticket' that I didn't have. I had just gone through the check in process (Which is the appropriate time to be asking these stupid questions) and was just sat down to have a decent bite to eat when I hear my name being paged. So needless to say I am concerned and didn't enjoy my dinner, hurried up to see what could possibly be wrong. "Well sir I need to see your return ticket." Oh here we go..

So I first corrected them to say, nobody needs a return ticket, they need an onward ticket out of the Philippines. I then proceeded to tell them I didn't need one, and he said show me your visa. I showed him my actual VISA in my passport. The little prick then proceeded to tell me that was not a residency visa. I told him to bring me someone who could read. I was so annoyed and tired to begin with I just love it when someone who has never been to the fecking Philippines starts telling you that you are a lier and not a permanent resident. Then I showed them my Icard, oh the light came on then. Well dickface, you asked to see my VISA, the only VISA I carry in my wallet is a credit card. Im not even sure the idiot even had a passport of his own, but he's going to tell me what visa I do or don't have.

So when I was waiting for my connector they paged me again to go through the same USELESS process. But this time I get to argue with a Korean instead of an American about which visa I have for the Philippines. It was the same process all over again!  So I was basically pissed off at the Philippines before I got here. 

Edited by Monsoon

I left the retirement scheme as they refused to allow me to transfer from the old scheme to the new one. Others got around that etc

the annual fee for the retirement scheme is probably a lot more expensive than the travel tax i pay under the the 13a scheme as i do not travel more than 5 times a year

you still renew the retirement scheme annualy or three yearly and you do not need exit clearance etc   I think for me if i was travelling out 6 times plus a year then the retirement scheme may prove to be more cost effective

Davaoeno

On my way back here just a few days ago they annoyed the shit out of me by paging me TWICE  

man you must  love living here  if thats all it takes to annoy the shit out of you !!

dunno if your blowing steam or not ,,

But if u travel every 30 days then why pay for the 13a.. a one month extension after that is 4k php 

SkyMan

and didn't enjoy my dinner, hurried up to see what could possibly be wrong

Mistake #1.

But if u travel every 30 days then why pay for the 13a.. a one month extension after that is 4k php

Well yes, if you leave the country every 30 days just take the visa waiver, free.

Is the restriction of not allowing more than 3 visits in a year as a tourist still in place? if it is then the 30 day repeat option is limited

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Is the restriction of not allowing more than 3 visits in a year as a tourist still in place? if it is then the 30 day repeat option is limited

Thats a new one to me..never heard of that one.

Im trying to think of times where I have come and gone from the country more than 5 times in a month. I knoe for sure ive done it 3 times in a month before I had a 13a.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk