What type of generator to buy........

Mandingo

Looking back I think a smaller diesel generator probably would have been a better choice since diesel is cheaper and I believe it would run a little quitter too. I went big thinking we'd use it for our home construction and to be able to run the aircon in the place we are staying in now in Ipil. Let me know how the smaller diesel generator works out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mandingo

• thebob

• Paul

• stevensanph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might as well add my 2 cents worth, since I have been running everything off my generator since Nov. 8 when the power went off.   I have a 5kw, Kubota, diesel generator rated at 100% duty cycle.

Guys, PLEASE, if you know little to nothing about electricity, again, PLEASE, let a proper electrician connect a generator you may buy, to your home circuits. Back feeding into the electric grid can b

If you can find one at the moment .......................   In Bohol you wouldn't be able to buy one anywhere .... they're all sold out. A friend of mine here sourced one in Cebu, 8.5kw for 68k peso

Posted Images

I have learned from this experience (Yolanda) that a "plan B" is very helpful. In the first weeks of the aftermath from the storm there was a large amount of panic and speculation buying. In Baybay this meant police and even the army had to provide security at gas stations because of the crowds. There were lines upon lines and frequent times fuel was gone. Since I used only gasoline generators I was stuck with one fuel as "plan A".

After a couple of weeks, the lines stabilized and supplies as well. Problem was, sometimes the stations only had diesel available. So, if you have the fortune of having two generators, having a gasoline and a diesel is a good "plan B".

thebob

If you are preparing for a disaster you need to keep a stock of fuel. Diesel is a little less dangerous, and has a longer shelf life.

Bio diesel from copra would be the self-sufficient way to go but you would need a lot of coco. A steam generator would be very quiet, could also produce drinking water, and you could run on a variety of fuels, even LPG.

Taxis run on LPG, I don't see why a gasoline generator couldn't be converted.

Off the shelf you only really have the choice of gas or diesel. 2 smaller generators would be more flexible than 1 big one.

I only have a tiny portable 700W genny. But it outputs both 230V AC and 12V DC so it is useful as a battery charger as well.

I'd like to mount a generator to my truck. Using an AC clutch to disconnect the belt. Just off idle, a tank of diesel (120 liters) would last a long time. Using a transmission with a power shaft to drive a large generator would be very useful. I'd guess a 25kva would be reasonable, and neighbors could chip in for fuel.

Mandingo

I have two honda generators each coming with NGK plugs. BPR5ES AND 6ES respectively. I have been unable to locate plugs from anyone in Baybay and want to try Ormoc. Any members who know of a place that sells plugs in Ormoc, I'd sure appreciate some advice getting some. You would think it would be a no brainer, but it is harder than I thought.

I have two honda generators each coming with NGK plugs. BPR5ES AND 6ES respectively. I have been unable to locate plugs from anyone in Baybay and want to try Ormoc. Any members who know of a place that sells plugs in Ormoc, I'd sure appreciate some advice getting some. You would think it would be a no brainer, but it is harder than I thought.

Nothing is easy here. ...I am going to the city this afternoon, will look and see if I can find some plugs for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk