What type of generator to buy........

miles-high

I have a question.  Since I prefer to hang out in the car during earthquakes.  

I have little experience with generators, but...

Is it feasible to use a 150 or higher output alternator that I know they make for Toyotas.

Invert it into 220 @1000 watts to use for fans etc and maybe run the ref/freezer every few days?

Seems it would be easier than carrying gas cans. 

I have bought several inverters for my cars and RV's, the largest on the market would be about 1.5kw at 220v… you could probably watch a 50” TV for a few hours but no fridge, AC or washer/dryer… even with the engine running… gas engine is not good for prolonged near-idle ops… diesel is probably better but you are still running accessories such as AC compressor, impeller, etc. and, therefore, it is not a cost effective solution, I don't think...

If you want to “kill two birds with one stone” your best bet would be to buy a farm tractor (if you are into faming) with a PTO system, to which you would connect a generator when needed. You could get about 1kw per 2hp, that is if your tractor is 100hp, you could connect a 50kw generator capable of running your fridge, AC and probably all your gadgets in your entire household…

I would love to get a Willys Jeep with a PTO but I guess that’s long gone… :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mandingo

• thebob

• Paul

• stevensanph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might as well add my 2 cents worth, since I have been running everything off my generator since Nov. 8 when the power went off.   I have a 5kw, Kubota, diesel generator rated at 100% duty cycle.

Guys, PLEASE, if you know little to nothing about electricity, again, PLEASE, let a proper electrician connect a generator you may buy, to your home circuits. Back feeding into the electric grid can b

If you can find one at the moment .......................   In Bohol you wouldn't be able to buy one anywhere .... they're all sold out. A friend of mine here sourced one in Cebu, 8.5kw for 68k peso

Posted Images

SkyMan

I don't understand why you didn't just plug your small fridge directly into the genny via extension cord.

Could have but the ref is in the house and didn't want the gen there.  Toxic fumes and all.  Could have put the gen outside the house but it would be too loud to sleep and didn't want the gen out in the rain.  I put it in the garage to be quieter although I left the garage door open for ventilation most of the time it was on.  I didn't feel like trying to move the ref to the garage but did at least want some lights also.  And again, this is a minimal sized gen, 1100W, and all the wiring in the house, garage, etc. is 8ga.  A larger gen and in a place with a breaker panel and sub breakers could have problems.  Worst case is I melt the outlet I plug into.  The apt I used it in is hollow block.  If I find I am using the gen more often I'll go with a more conventional connection but as it stands we're only experiencing 1 or 2 daily black outs for maybe an hour each.

The main issues doing it this way is your feeding all the circuits in the house from a single circuit that is usually designed for only 10-20 Amps. Depending on how much you try to run, the circuit your plugged into may trip it's breaker

Like I said, I don't have any sub breakers.  Only a 30amp as the main on the pole, a 30amp in the caretaker house/garage, and a 30amp on the house in a Wye configuration.  So my gen in the garage sends power to the garage and caretaker's house directly, then through 2 30amp breakers to my house.  I had to be careful not to overload the gen.  But when we used it in the apartment, I would want the breaker to trip as the gen is only 1100W.  I think that apt only had 3 sub breakers anyway, AC, laundry room, and outlets/lights which included the ref.

Even a bigger issues is if you forget to throw the main breaker. It would be dangerous for anyone working on the main lines outside of your house if the main remains connected to the service line.

True and your gen would burn up trying to supply the neighborhood with power.

I have a question.  Since I prefer to hang out in the car during earthquakes.  

I have little experience with generators, but...

Is it feasible to use a 150 or higher output alternator that I know they make for Toyotas.

Invert it into 220 @1000 watts to use for fans etc and maybe run the ref/freezer every few days?

Seems it would be easier than carrying gas cans. 

I hooked up a 1200 watt inverter to my Mitsubishi adventure Diesel,stuck a bottle of coolant in the Rad and it runs for hours cold as ice.. we have been running fans,lights,TV,charging emergency lights etc with no probs at all for 5 days (some days 5/6 hours).. I have no idea if I am doing any damage to car or not?? 

But it works good for us and it aint that noisy.

This message was sent via Mitsubishi Adventure

• Like 1

I have bought several inverters for my cars and RV's, the largest on the market would be about 1.5kw at 220v

I have been researching them for some time. The largest I have researched is 6,000 watts, at 220vac / 230vac 

I have bought several inverters for my cars and RV's, the largest on the market would be about 1.5kw at 220v… you could probably watch a 50” TV for a few hours but no fridge, AC or washer/dryer… even with the engine running… gas engine is not good for prolonged near-idle ops… diesel is probably better but you are still running accessories such as AC compressor, impeller, etc. and, therefore, it is not a cost effective solution, I don't think...

If you want to “kill two birds with one stone” your best bet would be to buy a farm tractor (if you are into faming) with a PTO system, to which you would connect a generator when needed. You could get about 1kw per 2hp, that is if your tractor is 100hp, you could connect a 50kw generator capable of running your fridge, AC and probably all your gadgets in your entire household…

I would love to get a Willys Jeep with a PTO but I guess that’s long gone… :)

You'd need a high output alternater and jack up the revs a bit to make it work.

My needs are simple though, mainly recharge cell phone batteries and D cells for lamps and O2 fans.

Just enough to function and get to sleep.  Keeping a couple parallel marine batteries charged should be good for that.

Protecting the freezer would require running the car for quite a while; but it sounds like it would be doable.

I saw lots of restored army jeeps up in Angeles City.  They parade them every year.

I hooked up a 1200 watt inverter to my Mitsubishi adventure Diesel,stuck a bottle of coolant in the Rad and it runs for hours cold as ice.. we have been running fans,lights,TV,charging emergency lights etc with no probs at all for 5 days (some days 5/6 hours).. I have no idea if I am doing any damage to car or not?? 

But it works good for us and it aint that noisy.

This message was sent via Mitsubishi Adventure

You must have a kick ass alternater in that rig. 

That's good to know.  Googling around I found that they say the Prius has the fastest charging

system and is best for powering the house.  That surprised me. 

Mandingo

So we are heading over next week and the plan is to layover in Cebu and buy a generator and other needed supplies before heading to Ormoc. Anybody care to recommend a couple places that we can go look at generators in Cebu? And if someone knows the ballpark price for a mid sized (6 to 8 kw) unit that would be great too. Thanks for any help you can provide.

ok I have 8 computers 2 aircons one horse power and a fridge freezer how big of generator will I need to get me through a brown out which happens nearly every other day here in bacolod 

ok I have 8 computers 2 aircons one horse power and a fridge freezer how big of generator will I need to get me through a brown out which happens nearly every other day here in bacolod 

Take the total wattage of everything you wish to power (see the spec places on each appliance), add 20% additional load for the compressors to start on the air-cons and frig / freezer. That will give you about what you will need. 

Off the top of my head, if my figures are correct here, you would be looking at over 7,500 watts start up, and about 5,000 running watts. 

I would buy no less than a 8 Kilowatt gen-set.

Do you really have to have eight (8) machines running at once? 

Edited by Paul
Sorry. Only figured for one air-con, previously.
  • Like 1

So we are heading over next week and the plan is to layover in Cebu and buy a generator and other needed supplies before heading to Ormoc. Anybody care to recommend a couple places that we can go look at generators in Cebu? And if someone knows the ballpark price for a mid sized (6 to 8 kw) unit that would be great too. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Belmont Hardware is one place. The hardware stores in SM, Ayala, etc., also carry them. There was a place, oh, a couple years ago. It was located on the road just before heading over the old bridge, toward Mactan island. It would be on the left side, maybe 500 meters from Old Bridge. They carried generators. Not sure of the name. it's been too long since I visited the place, last. 

• Like 1

Take the total wattage of everything you wish to power (see the spec places on each appliance), add 20% additional load for the compressors to start on the air-cons and frig / freezer. That will give you about what you will need. 

Off the top of my head, if my figures are correct here, you would be looking at over 7,500 watts start up, and about 5,000 running watts. 

I would buy no less than a 8 Kilowatt gen-set.

Do you really have to have eight (8) machines running at once? 

ues because its a mini internet cafe

I might as well add my 2 cents worth, since I have been running everything off my generator since Nov. 8 when the power went off.

I have a 5kw, Kubota, diesel generator rated at 100% duty cycle. Many of the cheap brands are only rated at maybe 60% duty cycle, which means they are only designed to provide the rated output 60% of the time. Running them at 100% output continuously will seriously shorten their lives.

At any given time I have run a total of 3 small refrigerators, one 3/4hp water pump, one small freezer, maybe 3 fans as well as several lights and chargers, all at one time. I don't run any air cons because I don't need them at my altitude. I can run this size load continuously, 24 hours a day for as long as I can afford the fuel (which isn't very long). My gen consumes 1 liter of diesel per hour.

I have my unit hard wired into the house electrical system through a double pole, double throw safety switch, which only allows generator OR utility power to my panel board.. This is the only safe way to permanently wire your generator into your house.

I would say, based on my experience in owning and selling generators that 5kva is enough for an average small house, even it you have one smallish air conditioner. If you have a house like smokey's you should upgrade to a 10kva unit. His 8kva is too small to be running large multiple air cons as well as everything else.

The cheap gasoline generators are fine for intermittent use with light loads, but will not last in permanent continuous duty application. I bought mine second hand from an ad in the newspaper for 45k. It was previously used as a backup generator for a BPI Bank branch, and sold when they upgraded to a bigger unit. Mine has served me well, never fails to start and runs cool (water cooled) at all times while providing constant stable power. Diesel is preferable, although more expensive, because they are more trouble free and longer lasting.

So decide what you really need for your uses and buy accordingly. A few thousand pesos saved now is not worth it in the long run if you are a heavy user.

• Like 6

I just left Belmont hardware this Sunday AM and they had many choices of generators. Not sure about the super big ones, but a quick look I saw 7500W and below. I wasn't looking closely, so just passing along the info.

• Like 1