What type of generator to buy........

smokey

A 5kva genset will give you 20A @ 240V which is about 96% loaded.

A 8kva genset will give you 33A @ 240V which is about 99% loaded.

If you want to run the aircon, fridge, lights, and lounge, 8kva would be the go.

It will comfortably give 3 X 10A circuits.

That way you can also alternate between running the kitchen and laundry.

As I stated earlier, you have to allow for when 2 compressors start at the same time.

And in reality, I would only want to pull 25A max continuously from an 8kva genset.

Heavy loading only wears things out faster...

i have the 8800 unit and when i turn on O:NE air con its drones on like it wants to die and the lights flicker it runs the whole house of lights ,,, internet ,, appliances etc but the air con is just too much of a draw 

• Like 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mandingo

• thebob

• Paul

• stevensanph

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might as well add my 2 cents worth, since I have been running everything off my generator since Nov. 8 when the power went off.   I have a 5kw, Kubota, diesel generator rated at 100% duty cycle.

Guys, PLEASE, if you know little to nothing about electricity, again, PLEASE, let a proper electrician connect a generator you may buy, to your home circuits. Back feeding into the electric grid can b

If you can find one at the moment .......................   In Bohol you wouldn't be able to buy one anywhere .... they're all sold out. A friend of mine here sourced one in Cebu, 8.5kw for 68k peso

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog

So, you just simply ended up plugging the gen into a regular wall socket?

I guess as you were able to turn the breaker off at the inlet point at the meter you can keep the power seperate.  That does sound a nice cheap/easy solution for backup emergency power though... 1100w gens are pretty damn cheap.

In my house I have a regular breaker box.  If I turn off the main breaker with the incoming mains power, would the other circuits in the house work with the gen plugged in as you described (my understanding is you did this at a friends with a regular box)

The main issues doing it this way is your feeding all the circuits in the house from a single circuit that is usually designed for only 10-20 Amps. Depending on how much you try to run, the circuit your plugged into may trip it's breaker. If all your trying to run is lights, fans and maybe a small refrigerator it should be no problem. You can always try it. If the electrical system is designed and installed correctly, it should trip the breaker before the wiring overheats. You should also turn off breakers for circuits you don't intend to feed.

Even a bigger issues is if you forget to throw the main breaker. It would be dangerous for anyone working on the main lines outside of your house if the main remains connected to the service line.

stevensanph

got you.  so the best way if i followed this method is put it through one of the air con breakers I have which aren't currently being used (30amp breaker).  I can then turn off the other air con circuits so just the wall outlets for the ref and light/fan circuits can be used.

As long as I turn off the main circuit breaker everything should be fine...?

Last question - what would happen if you had the mains and generator feeding the same circuit at the same time?  Its a big no no, but what would happen?

EDIT - ok, just worked it out! Basically your gen would try and power the entire grid and it wouldn't last very long!

Edited by stevensanph
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Last question - what would happen if you had the mains and generator feeding the same circuit at the same time?  Its a big no no, but what would happen?

A generator that is directly connected to your home’s wiring can cause a backfeed condition. A backfeed condition occurs when your household wiring is connected to the utility and generator sources at the same time without isolation from the two sources. Once a backfeed condition occurs, the utility transformer will step up or increase this backfeed to thousands of volts—enough to kill a utility lineman making outage repairs in your area. You could also cause an electrical fire or inflict expensive damage to utility equipment, your personal household electrical/electronic equipment and/ or your generator.

What will a small generator run?
A small generator of about 3,000 watts can run a few lights, fans and a refrigerator. If used to start and run only one item at a time, it can run a half-horsepower pump, or a small window air conditioner of about 5,000 BTUs.
Each generator has a rated wattage, which provides a limit on the appliances it will safely power.
Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for proper use and capacity. Overloading the generator can result in damage to appliances it is powering.
Edited by Salty Dog

Smokey, you must have a big aircon.

I'm curious, what is 'O:NE air con'? and what size unit is it?

thebob, 69db... I've heard worse. Nothing a vented box wont fix...

It"s only a 2.7kw unit @ 220V. you would already be starting on the back foot...

I also figure a 5,000 btu unit (small one) would draw about 3-4A @ 240V

and easily peek at 9-12A @ startup... (this is a guestamate)

It all depends on the unit really...

If the genny and outside mains joined.. OMG! They will not be in phase (the 50-60hz).

There will be a big *BANG* somewhere..., exactly where, is anyone's guess...

Hahaha... It would be like New Years! (not funny)

Hope you guys know what your doing...

smokey

the smallest one hooked to the line is 1 ton... but most of them are 2 ton i think they must draw a lot of juice to kick off... 

If the genny and outside mains joined.. OMG! They will not be in phase (the 50-60hz).

Smokey, you must have a big aircon.

I'm curious, what is 'O:NE air con'? and what size unit is it?

It"s only a 2.7kw unit @ 220V. you would already be starting on the back foot...

I also figure a 5,000 btu unit (small one) would draw about 3-4A @ 240V

and easily peek at 9-12A @ startup... (this is a guestamate)

It all depends on the unit really...

what does a vented box look like i sure could use one ,, i tried to put the unit in a box of wood and it sure got hot fast 

Edited by smokey

Hey Smokey,

You mentioned '1, and 2 ton', I don't understand... by weight?

The vented box, is just that. like a speaker box.

I use a small 2.2kva Honda as backup for some battery's.

My box is 8" larger all around, and 1' higher.

On the carburetor, air filter side, I have 2 X 12V computer fans,

down low, blowing air in. (you want them to blow in, as apposed to sucking

air out, due to vapor fumes that may be present.)

On the other side, is a rectangular hole, at the top,

with a 'vertical shelf' covering to hole, to stop sound escaping,

and blow the air downwards.

The top lid is hinged for access, and overlaps the sides, like a roof.

The exhaust passes through the side via a flanged extension pipe.

(you don't want the exhaust touching the box)

I don't have an extra muffler... thou one from a motorbike would

probably do the trick.

The inside is lined with rubber sheeting. It works well.

A picture would tell a thousand words... Unfortunately it is not here

were I am now...  Hope you get the idea...

Cheers.

Most gennys have a separate 12VDC @ 8A output.

I use that to run the fans.

Edited by Detour
  • Like 2

If you make the box high enough it will work as a chimney

sucking air in at the bottom and let the hot air out at the top

thebob

it's not 69db, its 69db at 7M which is 23 feet away! Usually db measurements are given at 1M.

70db is about the noise of a freeway at 50ft.

I have been using a Honda cp2500cx which is made in china and it has done fine. I have to plug and unplug a lot of cables but that is because we didn't wore the house properly. I can run a small refrigerator and a water pump at the same time. Mine is gasoline, which has become an issue now that fuel is in short supply in leyte.

I also have a honda cp5000cx but it uses so much fuel I have managed with the smaller one during the present crisis.

Guys, PLEASE, if you know little to nothing about electricity, again, PLEASE, let a proper electrician connect a generator you may buy, to your home circuits. Back feeding into the electric grid can be a very dangerous thing, possibly killing someone who may be working on power lines somewhere. Additionally, if your gen-set and mains are powered at the same time, it will not be a pretty experience. 

For your information, they do make ATS units. These are Automatic Transfer Switches. They can be a bit pricey, but depending on the generator you buy, the worst case is, you would have to manually start and stop the generator. When the mains are connected again, providing power to the home, the switch will, simultaneously, take the load off the generator so you can shut it down. These switches can also be wired to start, and stop gen-sets. So, you would, quite literally, have to do nothing when the power is cut from the mains.

Do not play with electricity. You WILL be the loser.

• Like 3

I have a question.  Since I prefer to hang out in the car during earthquakes.  

I have little experience with generators, but...

Is it feasible to use a 150 or higher output alternator that I know they make for Toyotas.

Invert it into 220 @1000 watts to use for fans etc and maybe run the ref/freezer every few days?

Seems it would be easier than carrying gas cans. 

• Like 1