Sign in to follow this  
Canuck Joe

Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda report from Bantayan Island Cebu ...how one man wants to help.

Canuck Joe

There is no area specific thread for these locations yet, the international community needs to start hearing about our friends to the north of Cebu. Please post what you can for information regarding Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda in Cebu Provinces worst hit.

udonthani

well an ex birds house in Bantayan town was only slightly damaged, not destroyed and nobody was even hurt. That was after five days of her going round the bend and hearing nothing from any of them though while going to work in Cebu city each day. All of the people I know who have had family members messed up, and houses destroyed by the typhoon - and I have a few - all had to attend work as usual despite being in a bad mental state. Few if any employers here will give anybody time off in those circumstances.

Employee : 'Boss, can I take the day off? I'm in bits, my parents house has been destroyed by the typhoon, my sis, two brothers and 6 nieces and nephews are missing, maybe dead and I'm just going mental'. 

Employer : 'piss off and be at your desk same as normal, Everybody says that.'

Edited by udonthani
  • Like 1

Alan S

Any more news from / about Natayan?

Canuck Joe

Individuals and groups are flooding north, pick up trucks, vans...what ever. POWER TO THE PEOPLE! An organization i am supporting is running into purchasing problems.... rice and goods crises is coming to Cebu.

High way is crazy, don't slow down...many beggars on side of highway. Most may be capitalists or the average hungry provincial person who lives hour to hour.

CNN has been to Bantayan...This Typhoon is a big slap in the face...to you know who.

Edited by Canuck Joe

Alan S

I am trying to discover what has happened to a  pal who lives on Bantayan John (a Dr) Grieve,  and his wife Alita..

Heres his wiebsite: http://www.dr-john.org/.

I dont recall his address (its on an old computer) which isnt much help. (Sungko rings a bell)

Should anyone hear anything, I would appreciate a PM / email / post here / whatever.

Edited to add his (UK) callsign. G8SWR.

Not sure if he has a Philippine license, but might be on air if he has.

jtmwatchbiz

i've been there once this week to bring goods and my wife and crew just got back from their 3rd trip last nite. when she wakes up i'll get her to post some pics. she told me last nite the US military is now in bogo as well.

• Like 2

Gus

Im on Bantayan helping a friend clear fallen trees and repair his roof .. the devastation is immense and upsetting when you first seei it, i havent even felt like taking pics of it . Ste Fe badly hit, was in Bantayan Town yesterday, the markets were open , and actually the town did not seem too bad, although the old church lost its roofing. Palawan seems to be the only Remitter operating, and there are mega lines outside the few branches that are open. The food situation seems to be well under control, with many relief operations under way , major corporations, charities, and private groups, al, doing food parcel distribution, On the ferry over I met 2 Norwegian guys who had collected 300,000 p , from thier country, and countrymen, to set up a food distribution project.

On the way up i called into Bogo to try to track down a friend. I was fortunate to find her, but her home is a wreck .. there is so much to do up here !

• Like 2

mexiwi

Australia's ABC had a feature on Bantayan on Foreign Correspondent tonight.

Was pretty sad to see the island - I have only been  there once, only a week before the storm and really liked it - was sad to see the places where I had been - so badly damaged.

It should be viewable online here

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2013/s3899493.htm

• Like 2

dHb

My sister-in-law is from there. Her family made it through okay but lost their roof. She also told us that they a coping as well as can be with some of the poultry companies selling off their chickens @ 20-40 pesos so meat is not a problem - Rice is with a lot of stock damaged. If anyone is heading there to help with supplies, more rice would be very welcome.

They were going there themselves today with a bunch of upplies to distribute, will get an update from them and post...

• Like 1

Canuck Joe

I have and to step back for emotional health reasons....keep up the good work folks.