Good day, Everyone.

There is this question bothering me and I would like to address this to Canadian Nationals who are members on this forum site. Is it true that for a Canadian national to be eligible for his pension, he has to go back to Canada every 6 months? What if the Canadian National is married to a Filipina and he wants to stay in the Philippines. Is it still required that he has to go back to Canada every after 6 months? It sounds so costly. Just wondering...I hope somebody can answer me.

Thanks ahead.

Good day, Everyone.

There is this question bothering me and I would like to address this to Canadian Nationals who are members on this forum site. Is it true that for a Canadian national to be eligible for his pension, he has to go back to Canada every 6 months? What if the Canadian National is married to a Filipina and he wants to stay in the Philippines. Is it still required that he has to go back to Canada every after 6 months? It sounds so costly. Just wondering...I hope somebody can answer me.

Thanks ahead.

I don't think that's true. I think you only need to go back every 6 months to be eligible for health care. You would also then need to maintain residency for 3 months there, before you went back to the Philippines. Not sure what good that does you though, if you are planning to stay in the Philippines, but it might come in handy if you get really sick and want to go home for treatment. But pension has no residency requirements AFAIK. 

By the way, wrong forum I think ;)

Edited by OrmocArse
  • Like 1

you do NOT have to return to be eligible for pensions

Thank you Davaoeno. just wondering though. So, based on your comment, that means that the Canadian national can just apply for the pension in canada and it will just be deposited to his bank account even if he is planning to stay in the Philippines for good in the future? Anyway, thanks again.

Half Baked

By the way, wrong forum I think

Yea, its for "Natural" disasters.  NOT "National" disasters! 

**Sorry.. couldn't resist.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Also it is 7 months you are allowed to stay out of the country and still have health care. They will pay up to 208,000 pesos of your medical bill in the Philippines. I called and asked them.

• Like 1

Also it is 7 months you are allowed to stay out of the country and still have health care. They will pay up to 208,000 pesos of your medical bill in the Philippines. I called and asked them.

thank you so much for this

Buko Beach

From what I understand, the line in the sand is 183 days out of 365 that's spent outside of Canada within the previous calendar year.

That works out to roughly 6 months.

Buko Beach

Good day, Everyone.

Thanks ahead.

I am by no means an expert on Canadian pensions (Old age security, early retirement, Federal or provincial pension), but I have one question. You mention a Canadian national who is married to a Filipina and currently residing in the Philippines. Was the Canadian national born in Canada?

If the Canadian national was born outside of Canada and/or was a sponsored/refugee claimant there might be residency restrictions. I'm just saying, if the person came to Canada for a few years (dual citizen) and then returned to the Philippines after getting a pension there could be a problem.

I know the 183 days is the line where free healthcare comes into question.

From what I understand, the line in the sand is 183 days out of 365 that's spent outside of Canada within the previous calendar year.

That works out to roughly 6 months.

It is 6 months and been 6 months for awhile. Any snowbird in Florida will tell you. And that 208,000php sjp is talking about, its not that I don't believe him, I just never heard of anything like that until now. He could be right, but you better check it out for yourself.

I am by no means an expert on Canadian pensions (Old age security, early retirement, Federal or provincial pension), but I have one question. You mention a Canadian national who is married to a Filipina and currently residing in the Philippines. Was the Canadian national born in Canada?

If the Canadian national was born outside of Canada and/or was a sponsored/refugee claimant there might be residency restrictions. I'm just saying, if the person came to Canada for a few years (dual citizen) and then returned to the Philippines after getting a pension there could be a problem.

I know the 183 days is the line where free healthcare comes into question.

If the person is a Canadian citizen it doesn't matter where you were born. I actually don't think it matters if the person is not a Canadian citizen so long as they've paid into CPP. AFAIK a person is entitled to whatever CPP benefits that person earned regardless of where they were born, or what their citizenship is. If you paid into it, you earn what you are entitled too. No matter where you live, or where you were born.

Edited by OrmocArse
Davaoeno

It is 6 months and been 6 months for awhile. Any snowbird in Florida will tell you. And that 208,000php sjp is talking about, its not that I don't believe him, I just never heard of anything like that until now. He could be right, but you better check it out for yourself.

I researched this about 3 weeks ago when I was in Canada. The 6 months is absolutely correct in British Columbia.   I dont know about other provinces.   As to the 208,000 I have never heard or read that anywhere. A reference to a government source would be much appreciated.  I do know that BC will only pay you up to the equivalent canadian amount in another country [ which is why travelling to the US is always a bit dangerous ]

I researched this about 3 weeks ago when I was in Canada. The 6 months is absolutely correct in British Columbia.   I dont know about other provinces.   As to the 208,000 I have never heard or read that anywhere. A reference to a government source would be much appreciated.  I do know that BC will only pay you up to the equivalent canadian amount in another country [ which is why travelling to the US is always a bit dangerous ]

Well since CPP is a national program, I would assume its 6 months across the country. Healthcare on the other hand is provincial and could change from province to province. 

Davaoeno

Well since CPP is a national program, I would assume its 6 months across the country. Healthcare on the other hand is provincial and could change from province to province. 

you are confusing 2 things OA. The discussion about the time period is limited to healthcare. As already posted CPP has NO time limits .