You are wasting your time applying for any visa if you intend to stay in the Philippines as a tourist. There are tourists who have lived here for decades without ever having a visa. It is a visa waiver that you receive on arrival. 

What do they do when they want  to go home or leave the Phils ? Any probs ???

You'll save a little money if you go to the embassy and buy a 9a visa before you come.  It can be used 90days from issue and gives you 59 days on arrival.  Then you start doing 2 months extensions.

OK I've done that one  before but not the extensions. So you apply for the extensions and they last 2 months. Don't wait until the last minute  I know. You need to leave the country if you have stayed up to a year ???

OK I am full of bright ideas somebody who knows this shit should PIN a flowchart for all the visa situations maybe easier said than done but maybe not. I do know there seems to be varying ideas and I do hate paying those overstay penalties like they hit me with my first trip. It was like 3000 pesos and all I had was dollars, I was the last passenger to board  and but of course they made sure they sacked that money LOL Ran me down to the moneychangers and must have held up the flight and 200 passengers for 15 minutes wow just for 3000 pesos.  I couldn't believe the regular tourist visa was only good for 21 days kind of like a speed trap  what a joke but hey well they got 3000 pesos from me ,,, feckers.

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fluke

• SkyMan

• thebob

• mabutiman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before you get pissed off, fluke, you deserve some of the shit they are giving you.    Now, let's get off his ass, guys.    Anyway, just apply for a single entry at the embassy. It will give you a

I'm afraid the last visa was given out a week ago...  

Have you seen the list of requirements the Embassy wants before granting the 59 day visa ??? ....easier to just arrive and get the 30 days ....

Posted Images

thebob

I did it twice by mail.  No big deal.

But why bother when you can get it at the airport on arrival?

OK I am full of bright ideas somebody who knows this shit should PIN a flowchart for all the visa situations maybe easier said than done but maybe not. I do know there seems to be varying ideas and I do hate paying those overstay penalties like they hit me with my first trip. It was like 3000 pesos and all I had was dollars, I was the last passenger to board  and but of course they made sure they sacked that money LOL Ran me down to the moneychangers and must have held up the flight and 200 passengers for 15 minutes wow just for 3000 pesos.  I couldn't believe the regular tourist visa was only good for 21 days kind of like a speed trap  what a joke but hey well they got 3000 pesos from me ,,, feckers.

Don't sweat it fluke, when you arrive they give you a stamp in your passport good for 21 days (rumor is that it is going up to 30 ) I call it a visa, but some people like to split hairs. 

My advice is when you arrive, don't line up for immigration, look to the side and you will see their office. Explain that you would like to get your first extension good for 59 days, they will sit you down in their office while they sort you out, you pay them 2,780 pesos, they lead you to the front of the line stamp your passport and then off you go to pick up your luggage.

The day you arrive is counted as a whole day, even if you arrive at ten before midnight. Same for the day you leave.

Before 59 days, even up to a month early you can go to any immigration office and get your next 2 months but… This extension you also have to pay for an ARC Alien Registration Card, this is the expensive extension, after that one you just get an extension every 2 months.

The ARC extension cost up to 7,000 pesos or something like that, so some people like to just hop in and out of the country every 59 days because you can get budget tickets for that, or less to some nearby countries. This is called a "visa run".

Enjoy, where are you planing on staying?

Have you seen the list of requirements the Embassy wants before granting the 59 day visa ??? ....easier to just arrive and get the 30 days ....

This must have changed over the years? Granted, it was 2006, the last time I applied for a 9(a) visa. But, I wouldn't imagine things have changed that much since then? Mine was secured in New Zealand.

SkyMan

Because it's cheaper to arrive with the 9a (at least in the US, especially if you're close to an embassy) and you don't have to dick around with immigration after flying 24+ hours. 

Requirements from the DC embassy site:

9(A) Temporary Visitor’s Visa

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Passport of applicant (valid at least 6 months from return date)
  2. Duly-accomplished Non-Immigrant Visa application form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, and notarized if sent by mail
  3. Travel Itinerary (applicant must be a holder of a roundtrip/onward flight ticket out of Manila)
  4. One (1) colored photo, 2” x 2”, taken within six months before the date of application, showing a clear front view of applicant’s face, with a white background. No sleeveless attire. Blurred or low quality photos are not accepted.
  5. Proof of Financial Capacity (photocopy of latest bank statement, previous year's income tax return, most recent pay stub and an employment certificate from the employer indicating position and salary, or affidavit of support), for Tourist Visa for pleasure only
  6. Letter from employer or sponsor of the trip, indicating its specific purpose or nature and length of stay (inclusive dates) in the Philippines, for Tourist Visa for business only
  7. Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps for express or priority mail with tracking numbers via US Postal Service, or with pre-paid mailing envelope from private courier of choice, if Passport with Visa is to be mailed back.
  8. Visa fee, according to fee schedule below (non-refundable), payable in cash, or money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, made payable to "Embassy of the Philippines" (or "Philippine Consulate General", if application is made at one of the Philippine Consulates General in the U.S.). Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.

For nationals of countries with visa agreement with the Philippines:

1. Single entry valid for three (3) months US$ 30.00
  2. Multiple entry valid for six (6) months US$ 60.00
  3. Multiple-entry valid for twelve (12) months US$ 90.00

++++I notice an error on requirement 3 above, your onward ticket just has to be out of the country and not necessarily out of Manila.  I also think 1 is incorrect as you need 6 months on arrival but this was written by a Filipino who would view arrival in the RP as a return.

Don't sweat it fluke, when you arrive they give you a stamp in your passport good for 21 days (rumor is that it is going up to 30 ) I call it a visa, but some people like to split hairs.

It's 30 days now but the extension to 59 days still costs the same as before which is why the 9a is cheaper.

The ARC extension cost up to 7,000 pesos or something like that, so some people like to just hop in and out of the country every 59 days because you can get budget tickets for that, or less to some nearby countries. This is called a "visa run".

I don't think anyone does visa runs every 59days.  Every 6 months to avoid the ACR card fee perhaps or every year to avoid the p1600 travel tax perhaps but you can extend your tourist visa up to 2 years and perhaps longer.

Edited by SkyMan
burnttoast

When you go down to BOI just be sure you show the utmost respect. Follow the dress code, fill in your paper work, present your passport... say... Yes Sir or No Sir, and pay promptly is about all that is required. Last time we were down there, a young kid started backjawing the guy at the window and I heard a voice from deeper within the office say:  "SEND HIM HOME"! 

Edited by burnttoast
  • Like 2
SkyMan

Here in Phnom Penh they give you a long list ...including a letter from who is requesting your visit there and why ...proof of financial support ...airline ticket must also be shown ...etc etc ..and I  certainly dont look Cambodian !!!! ....lived and worked in Manila for 20 years already with asawa !! ....

The requirements are listed above.  The letter you mentioned (#6 above) is not required for tourists, proof of financial support (#5) can be a copy of a bank statement with the account number blotted out, airline itinerary(ies) (#3) including onward flight, not ticket.

Not difficult, certainly by RP standards.

mabutiman

The requirements are listed above.  The letter you mentioned (#6 above) is not required for tourists, proof of financial support (#5) can be a copy of a bank statement with the account number blotted out, airline itinerary(ies) (#3) including onward flight, not ticket.

Not difficult, certainly by RP standards.

Sorry but Phil embassy in PP wanted to see the pre booking for the flight before issuing the 59 day visa  ...

thebob

Because it's cheaper to arrive with the 9a (at least in the US, especially if you're close to an embassy) and you don't have to dick around with immigration after flying 24+ hours. 

If you turn up with your visa you still have to line up for immigration, it's nicer to do it sitting in their office.

I think it's dicking about going to the embassy or messing about collecting papers and posting them. Just arriving you only need a passport and onward ticket. 

I don't think anyone does visa runs every 59days.  Every 6 months to avoid the ACR card fee perhaps or every year to avoid the p1600 travel tax perhaps but you can extend your tourist visa up to 2 years and perhaps longer.

The ARC is after 59 days.

Buko Beach

My advice is when you arrive, don't line up for immigration, look to the side and you will see their office. Explain that you would like to get your first extension good for 59 days, they will sit you down in their office while they sort you out, you pay them 2,780 pesos, they lead you to the front of the line stamp your passport and then off you go to pick up your luggage.

The day you arrive is counted as a whole day, even if you arrive at ten before midnight. Same for the day you leave.

Before 59 days, even up to a month early you can go to any immigration office and get your next 2 months but… This extension you also have to pay for an ARC Alien Registration Card, this is the expensive extension, after that one you just get an extension every 2 months.

Enjoy, where are you planing on staying?

The day you arrive is never counted towards the old 21 day tourist visa, or the new 30 day tourist visa when entering the Philippines. So technically you could stay for 22 days (or 31) without having to extend or leave. Some of the nicer Immigration agents would even award you 23 days (or 32) if your flight lands past 10pm. Depends on the agent and how you presented yourself.

Buko Beach

I do not know why you find it so hard to follow the rules. You claim PI Immigration "hit you up" for over-staying penalties and you act like they were the ones who were in the wrong. Ahh I hate to tell you this, but you're part of the problem and it's because of your actions (and a few other bad apples) that make things more difficult for the rest of us who follow the rules.

PI Immigration had every right to charge you for overstaying and while you only had dollars, consider yourself lucky. If you did not pay up you could have missed your flight and been held until the penalties were paid in full. Refusing to pay the proper fees and penalties would most-likely get your name put on a red list and that would cause you grief next time you tried to enter the Philippines (if they let you back in).

Judging from your lack of energy to do the smallest bit of research and RTFF to find out what your visa options are/were and pick the right course of action in regards to Philippine Immigration, I'm guessing the same thing will happen again the next time you enter the Philippines.

The penalty for over-staying is not so much a penalty per-say, it is the amount you SHOULD of paid to extend your tourist visa had you followed the rules. I think IMO BOI should provide a 48 hour grace period to those who have overstayed and not extended in time, because crap can happen and people are not always close to a BOI Office.  After that the penalty should be 500php per day and once 15000php in charges are accrued (30days), they shall be blacklisted.

• Like 3
thebob

The day you arrive is never counted towards the old 21 day tourist visa, or the new 30 day tourist visa when entering the Philippines.

I guess there is no consistency, I have entered the country more than 50 times and checking my last few entry stamps they are all the day of arrival with the 21st or 59th day hand written, as exit time so there is no mistake.

Davaoeno

and you wonder why people dump on you ???     your comments display a total lack of concern about anyone else      I cant believe that the airline didnt just leave you behind !! 

SkyMan

If you turn up with your visa you still have to line up for immigration, it's nicer to do it sitting in their office. I think it's dicking about going to the embassy or messing about collecting papers and posting them. Just arriving you only need a passport and onward ticket.

Arriving with the 9a you don't need to show an onward ticket as you already have a visa (not a visa waiver) which is why you needed to show itinerary to get the visa.  Just go through immigration with your passport open to the visa and you're on your way.  Personally, I would rather dick around with the RP embassy in the US than with the BoI in the RP and like I said, I did mine through the mail so no dicking around, but bahala na. 

The ARC is after 59 days.

You are correct, the Alien Certificate of Registration or ACR-I card is paid on the 2-4 month extension.  It's $50 which I would pay rather than go through the more hassle and higher cost of a visa run.  I was thinking of the exit visa, p750, paid at 6-8 months.

I cant believe that the airline didnt just leave you behind !!

Unfortunately, they can't leave without removing the checked baggage as you have to fly with your bags.  So it's easier to wait than find your bags and remove them.

• Like 1
Buko Beach

I guess there is no consistency, I have entered the country more than 50 times and checking my last few entry stamps they are all the day of arrival with the 21st or 59th day hand written, as exit time so there is no mistake.

I checked my last entry stamp, and it's dated July 30th 2013. Under the 'stay until' line on the stamp, written in pen 8-20-13 (August 20th 2013). If you count the days, that makes my stay 22 days. The first day of any tourist visa (day of arrival) is not counted. Ohh and my flight always arrives at 6am NAIA so there is no confusion about my flight landing just before midnight.

Do you enter on a tourist visa? Either you're getting gypped or...

What say you LINC? Those of you who enter the Philippines on a tourist visa, count the number of days. Do you get 30 days or 31 (if you count the day of arrival)?

• Like 1

I do not know why you find it so hard to follow the rules. You claim PI Immigration "hit you up" for over-staying penalties and you act like they were the ones who were in the wrong. Ahh I hate to tell you this, but you're part of the problem and it's because of your actions (and a few other bad apples) that make things more difficult for the rest of us who follow the rules.

PI Immigration had every right to charge you for overstaying and while you only had dollars, consider yourself lucky. If you did not pay up you could have missed your flight and been held until the penalties were paid in full. Refusing to pay the proper fees and penalties would most-likely get your name put on a red list and that would cause you grief next time you tried to enter the Philippines (if they let you back in).

Judging from your lack of energy to do the smallest bit of research and RTFF to find out what your visa options are/were and pick the right course of action in regards to Philippine Immigration, I'm guessing the same thing will happen again the next time you enter the Philippines.

The penalty for over-staying is not so much a penalty per-say, it is the amount you SHOULD of paid to extend your tourist visa had you followed the rules. I think IMO BOI should provide a 48 hour grace period to those who have overstayed and not extended in time, because crap can happen and people are not always close to a BOI Office.  After that the penalty should be 500php per day and once 15000php in charges are accrued (30days), they shall be blacklisted.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you trying to start something with me ? HOW DARE YOU ? I was told in no uncertain terms that was not allowed on this board !!! LOL OK Ace I have been to Italy on several occasions and stayed more than 30 days (once for 2+ months). Never had a problem. 21 days is a speed trap. You got that ACE !!! I am here helping their economy every day I spend here. You read me ? Now its 30 days LOL i.e. too bad for me it wasn't last November. Even the lady who flagged me said she had been to many countries  and never seen those stupid visa rules HaHa the enforcer. Did you ever here that story, you know  maybe its an urban legend  ... about some kid and what he said to Bozo ? COOL

Edited by fluke