Palawan and dengue!

Palawan is a beautiful place and is  worth going there for a week or two but if you do make sure you spray yourself regularly and watch out for those dengue carrying mossies.

After a month there I contracted dengue in Puerto Princesa and was admitted to the Palawan Adventist hospital. 

It was not a nice experience and am still recovering after 4 weeks of being discharged. 

Just a warning folks.......

• Like 1

Yes Palawan is also about the only place here that has malarial mosquito as well, if its not one, the other one will get you.

• Like 1
nomad4ever

A friend of mine got Dengue on Bantayan Island in January 2013. I was with him the whole time (about 1 month) and didn't catch it. Although when in doubt about the location, I would always use 'Off' or similar protection, especially if you're a mosquito magnet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The owner of the hotel I was staying in's son got dengue twice and he nearly died the second time. The family lives on the premises.

If only I had known the hotel had dengue mossies hanging around!!!!!!!!!! LOL 

And then yesterday I hear a college friend of my GF has contracted it  in Puerto as well

I

Edited by tokyoman

I hope you feel like your old self again soon tokyoman. No fun spending time in a hospital when you're on a beautiful island. Thanks for the "heads-up". 

• Like 1

Well getting over dengue was not as easy as I thought

Even after 6 weeks I have the skin peeling and stinging in the hands and feet, loss of hair , indigestion and constipation just to name a few

Oh yeah you can get dengue anywhere here but when  half of the patients in my ward have it I think Palawan has a bit of a problem

Cheers for that Topper

Headshot

Try to stay away from Dengue mossies from now on (wear repellent). There are three types of Dengue, and once you have had one type, the other two can kill you if you get infected. Get yourself some off lotion, and make it a habit of rubbing it on your feet and legs a couple of times every day. There are plenty of Dengue mossies on the other islands as well.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Try to stay away from Dengue mossies from now on (wear repellent). There are three types of Dengue, and once you have had one type, the other two can kill you if you get infected. Get yourself some off lotion, and make it a habit of rubbing it on your feet and legs a couple of times every day. There are plenty of Dengue mossies on the other islands as well.

Headshot you always give great advise, but I can't help looking at your avatar and thinking I better listen or else. :yahoo:

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 3

yep I have learnt my lesson.....lots of DEET!

apparently they mossies have gotten too used to the "OFF" lotion and we have got to use stronger stuff!

• Like 1
Headshot

Yeah, I actually like 100% DEET myself, but it is a bit difficult to come by here. Any repellent is better than no repellent.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I spent xmas there last year. There were plenty of skeeters for sure.

Ironically I got dengue from day to day life at home though, not in Palawan.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Actually 5 types of dengue, i had 3 already, last one was dengue hemorrhagic fever. It was rough.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Actually 5 types of dengue, i had 3 already, last one was dengue hemorrhagic fever. It was rough.

going for the full set?

going for the full set?

Sure, why not. Great diet, works everytime.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Sure, why not. Great diet, works everytime.

True that. I lost a ton of weight when I had dengue. Unfortunately it came back with a vengeance.