Sign in to follow this  
ILoveCyrus

How to increase home water pressure...?

lopburi3
Wish I had just used a resevoir, pump to elevated tank, then elevated tank to house (gravity feed). The pump would not need to kick on so often, this way. However, you better make dang sure that that elevated tank is VERY secure if you are in an earthquake prone area, or even in an area with frequent tremblers. It is easier to lose an elevated tank than what you may think.

Also remember that to get any water pressure at all it is going to have to be higher than most land mass in the islands.  Gravity feed is slow unless from a waterfall.  Several hundred feet high for village good.  Home use at only 2nd story height not so good.

Edited by lopburi3

Paul

The cheap blue tanks will allow light to enter and result can be real algae problems.  So unless you enjoy slime to be avoided.

The tanks I have seen, here anyway, are quite thick and do not allow any light to enter. I suppose you could paint them, if they were thin walled? 

lopburi3

Believe you will find all the blue tanks allow enough light to grow algae.  Have seen many reports of this happening.  I even have happen inside garden hose that appears totally dark, as well as on inside of water filter hose inside house.  If any light gets through it will grow.  Perhaps we could set up a health food store? :bad:

Edited by lopburi3

Paul

Believe you will find all the blue tanks allow enough light to grow algae.  Have seen many reports of this happening.  I even have happen inside garden hose that appears totally dark, as well as on inside of water filter hose inside house.  If any light gets through it will grow.  Perhaps we could set up a health food store? :bad:

Chlorination here we come.

Raven

Chlorination here we come.

So a shower with built-in skin whitening ..it will be popular here :thumbsup:

• Like 1

lopburi3

It happens here with Bangkok tap water which has chlorine (although draw from 2,500 liter reserve so probably not much still in the water when goes through the in house drinking water filter).  But use almost 1,500 each day (8 people).

I thought the Thai were the only group with the white skin phobia   My skin cancers would love to have darker shade.

Paul

So a shower with built-in skin whitening ..it will be popular here :thumbsup:

Nope. The Charcoal filter will remove the chlorine, before the water ever hits the shower head.

Headshot

In my system, I have a well pump that pushes water through three sediment filters (20 micron, 10 micron and 5 micron) up to an elevated storage tank. From there, it flows through a 5 micron charcoal filter (to remove chemicals), a 5 micron water softener (to remove lime), a 1 micron sediment filter (to remove anything that is left) and an anti-backflow valve to a pump/pressure tank. That gives me completely safe potable water at 25 to 40 psi at any given time any place in my home. If the power is out, I can bypass the pressure tank and still have water (until the storage tank runs dry), but the pressure is greatly reduced.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Raven

How much are your expenses yearly, for changing filters?

Paul

until the storage tank runs dry

How many liters?

Headshot

How many liters?

1100 liters

Headshot

How much are your expenses yearly, for changing filters?

About 15,000 pesos a year. Other than the initial sediment filters, they really don't have to be changed out very often. It is all in what you want and prioritize. There can be some nasty things in the water around the Philippines such as cholera, giardia and amoeba (not to mention chemicals). Even if you get your water from a deep well, like I do, you can't really be sure about the water quality in the aquifer. You could get it tested, but even if it gets a clean bill of health today, it could be contaminated tomorrow. Most water here is NOT truly potable right out of the tap (whether it comes from a well or from MCWD lines). Mine is. Clean water in my home is important to me.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Thalcoozyo

About 15,000 pesos a year

At $400.00 per year, clean water better be important to you. :)   Every person has their own particular needs; every case is different. You found what works for you.

My pressure tank sprouts pin hole leaks along the welded seams.  We have youngsters in the house, so lots of pump on, pump off, pump on, pump off... due to the water being used frequently which draws down the pressure.  We don't use so much volume, but do use it frequently.  

We are also in an area w/frequent 4.8-5.0 quakes (So. Leyte) and rooftop or elevated pedestal tanks are notorious for falling unless anchored very securely. A straight gravity feed system is certainly the KISS method, but has its inherant dangers (for where I live).  

lopburi3

Actually 1 micron (which is what I use for drinking water only) is not absolutely safe but your odds are good that it will block enough to keep you healthy.   But in my experience just for drinking water filter it does require a great deal of maintenance (but seems you have several stages before that help in that I suspect).  Here in Bangkok tap water is indeed tested continually and results are on-line in real time but most of us do filter at point of use for drinking water.  If I were paranoid might be using RO but believe 1 micron is enough and still alive after all these years.

For the original question on increasing water pressure note that Grundfos is now making dedicated models for increase from above ground storage tanks which work extremely well (much better than the previous shallow well pumps used for that).  Very quiet (you could use in bedroom) and very high PSI available.  Not sure if they are available in PI (check of website does not show them) but highly recommend (as a new user).  They are the CMBxxxx models and if become available there might be worth a look.

http://th.grundfos.com/products/find-product/CMB-PT.html

Paul

lopburi3, is the one in the link the model you have, and how much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing? 

I know Grundfos are some of the best pumps in the world, very reliable too. But, they are not cheap.