Sign in to follow this  
OzGuy43

Typhoon Yolanda/Bohol Earthquake fundraiser

OzGuy43

Gday all, I just made a fairly lengthy post about a fundraiser for the victims of these tragedies. When I clicked post I had no internet and lost the entire post (2hours worth) but the gist of it was I want to raise money for people most effected by these calamities. I'll do a quick rehash of my original post point by point. We are located in Bohol and we could use as much help/ideas as possible, online and/or boots on the ground with us in Bohol.

• All money raised to go directly to victims, lets cut out the middle men!
  • Original idea, helping those who lost their homes in Bohol.
  • Updated idea, helping those who need it most.
  • We can tin rattle in Bohol, go door to door, Lechon Baboy/Beer party with entrance fee. All ideas are welcome.
  • Party at my house/members pub, the more money we raise the better.
  • We are open to any and all ideas.
  • We would love members to get involved in any way at all here in Bohol.
  • Time is of the essence, maybe 2 week time frame?
  • Soliciting of food/beer businesses to keep costs down. More money for victims.
  • Media, if we get enough people involved, maybe get national coverage.
  • Bank account, new BDO account named as fundraising account?
  • Safest way to get money directly to victims?
  • Is it possible to get Nipa huts built for people?
  • Members/families overseas, please consider donating.
  • Members not effected in Philippines, please consider donating.
  • Flyers/leaflets?

Permits, will check that out tomorrow.

We are asking for any help at all and as many ideas as possible. Will try to get all fundraising permits tomorrow. Would like to raise money as quickly as possible. Bank account ideas are welcome as I would like to open an account ASAP. Any member who would like to donate food or drinks for the party would be fantastic, and greatly appreciated. If we don't have to spend raised funds on this it means more money for victims. Let's show the Philippines what a great community we have at LINC! Again, all help is welcome and ALL money will go to victims. Thanks.

Edit: I know raising money is a sensitive subject due to scams. I'm open to all ideas about how to make this as transparent and above board as possible. 

Edited by OzGuy43

Heeere's Johnny

Hi, I am an American, a former English instructor and professional auctioneer. The last 10 years before retirement I specialized in organizing and conducting fund raising auctions. I'd be glad to donate my services if you think an auction might be a good way to raise money. One suggestion: each attendee would be asked to bring 3 items for the auction - items that would be of special interest and value to foreigners living here. I live in Dumaguete and would be glad to travel to Bohol or wherever. Other than my native language, I speak fairly passable German.

OzGuy43

Gday Johnny, sounds like a great idea mate, thanks for the offer. I reckon Cebu would be a good place to hold the auction. Maybe Ayala could donate us some space for a few hours? I'll have a better idea of business owners reactions when I talk to a few tomorrow. How do we let people know in advance? Advertising? On second thoughts, why not 3 auctions? Duma, Cebu and Bohol? Would cover a heap of people that way, if we could get the word out. Maybe members could donate so interesting stuff even if they do not attend the auction? 

Heeere's Johnny

I'm wondering if we might want to tie in to an existing organization here such as Rotary or other civic group rather than going it on our own. People are going to be hit up for donations from so many directions, and as you mentioned, we must make absolutely certain to those we are targeting that all funds will end up where they are most needed, and not in some politician or NGO leader's wallet. Three auctions might be great at large venues, but we might want to start with something smaller to test the waters, as you were originally thinking on Bohol. One of the first things we have to consider is where and how the funds raised will be distributed. The needs are so vast, with the earthquake and the typhoon, but people tend to donate more freely when they can envision a specific project, as opposed to overall helping the needy. I don't want us to get so bogged down in discussing this that we end up not doing anything, but I do feel that we need to establish our focus early on. Let's see what you can come up with in your discussions with business people there, and I'll try to bat it around a little here.

OzGuy43

Gday Johny, sorry for the late reply mate, we have had no power or water here in Bohol for the last 5? 7? days? I don't even know it's been that long. We have been looking for a generator for a week now and finally bought one today. Very lucky! I have had no internet and no power for ages now and still no water as we speak. it's been a struggle to say the least and tomorrow we have to find a water supply as we only have a few gallons left. We volunteered with Red Cross a week or so ago but since then power has been shocking and no word back from Red Cross! I hear 6 months to one year before power is returned to normal in Bohol. Our main goal at the moment is to find a reliable water source so we can clean ourselves, flush the toilets, and keep the house relatively clean. All we can do at the moment is offer people free charge of their gadgets as water is now our number one priority.

Heeere's Johnny

I didn't realize that Bohol was still having such major problems. I thought it was tough for us here when we were without power and running water for nine days last December, but that's minor compared to what you're living with. One small thing I have been able to do here is to push solar lights for brownouts and especially for those who have no power. Last year I bought a case of inexpensive flashlights, some of which I gave out, and others I provided for foreigners at my cost with the understanding that if they bought several, they would keep what they needed and give away the rest. I think I'll do the same this year. Good luck in getting things back together there, and at some future date, perhaps we can consider a fundraiser.

Paul

^

garyJ

Hello friends, I would like to donate to help the victims of Cebu. I want to make sure that the money gets to the victims and not into the pockets of corrupt individuals. If anyone knows of such an organization, Please post to this thread. Thank you.