Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Ok so driller came yesterday (with pics)

RogerDat

On Mactan some time ago, they came thru and recorded all the wells. If you are withing a certain feet from the MCWD lines, you cannot have a well, we are beyond that fortunately as MCWD has little or no water from what people here say. Also, the city mayor gave all ground water on Mactan to MCWD just as this survey was done. our well is 35 feet deep in limestone. We do not drink it but use it for cooking and such. There is a desalination plant or two on the eastern part of the island, they supply the resorts with water thru trucks.

cogon88

Deep wells are illegal in most areas of the country but you can get a permit from the local water district for an exemption however they may require a meter be placed on it. The govt owns all mineral rights to all property including the water under it

• Like 1

Paul

In the Philippines, "illegal" is a sick bird. No need to continue the legalities of this. The well has been drilled for some time. Let's move on, folks.

• Like 1

Headshot

Last year, my well died (the well casing was corroded so badly that the well was no longer usable), so I had to go through the process of getting hooked up to MCWD. Water now costs us a few hundred pesos a month. However, when we stopped running our well pump, our monthly electricity bill went down by a few thousand pesos.

Nobody should think that well water is free. It isn't free by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know how much Skyman paid to have his well drilled, but I'm sure that it was a lot more than what I paid to have a PPR line run (and buried) to the MCWD hub we connected to. That, of course, is in addition to the savings of thousands of pesos every month. In addition, having a well also came with maintenance costs (extensive filtering and pumps going out).

I do realize the freedom from the system that having your own well gives you, and how being connected to a water system can subject you to shortages in times of drought, but the savings we have experienced going to MCWD certainly make up for the loss of a small bit of perceived freedom.

Note...

I realize that Skyman had little option in drilling a well. His location makes it very difficult (if not impossible) to hook up to MCWD, so drilling a well was pretty much his only choice.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Paul
27 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I do realize the freedom from the system that having your own well gives you...

To me, you can't put a price on that independence.

Of course, at the farm, we still use rainwater harvesting. But, we intend on popping a 15 cm hole in the ground, during this upcoming dry season. I figure the longer we wait to do that, the better. Hopefully, the water table will be at its lowest point, by then.

Headshot
8 minutes ago, Paul said:

To me, you can't put a price on that independence.

Actually, you can ... and I did. The independence is simply freedom from a water bill, which has to be balanced with the cost of the electricity bill. For most people, the equation simply doesn't favor having a well. Being in a remote location (like Skyman's mountain top retreat or you farm in the hinterlands of Cambodia) might be the exception to the rule.

Paul
58 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Actually, you can ... and I did. The independence is simply freedom from a water bill, which has to be balanced with the cost of the electricity bill. For most people, the equation simply doesn't favor having a well. Being in a remote location (like Skyman's mountain top retreat or you farm in the hinterlands of Cambodia) might be the exception to the rule.

It's a lot more than that. Now, you are at the mercy of the MCWD.  Unless you have enough water storage to get you through a water service outage, you may be screwed. As we both well know,  living in SEA is anything but stable, especially regarding public utilities.

While I certainly can't speak for @SkyMan, here, we have thousands of liters of water storage literally, on site. This volume will be expanded as time goes on, even after we pop a hole in the ground. But, I do know he use to make trips down the hill, in order to fetch the water needed for his home. I imagine the cost and time consumed doing that, was less than the added cost to pump his own water.

Considering the savings you mentioned after you connected to the MCWD, I would say the pump motor was not very efficient. Had you a soft start motor, the initial wattage requirement would be considerably less. I would liken the difference to be similar to inverter compressor refrigerators or air-cons, versus the old style compressors. 

A solar well pump is another option to consider. Or, installing a grid-tied solar array on a roof or ground mount, would also help. (Ask @Enuff how he likes his.)

• Like 1

Headshot
15 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's a lot more than that. Now, you are at the mercy of the MCWD.  Unless you have enough water storage to get you through a water service outage, you may be screwed. As we both well know,  living in SEA is anything but stable, especially regarding public utilities.

That is true. Before, I was at the mercy of VECO. Now I am at the mercy of MCWD. So far, I have found MCWD to be much more reliable than VECO. In addition, my next door neighbor still has a well, so if we ever have a water problem with MCWD, we can get water from their well (for a minimal cost of course) by hooking our system up to theirs. That was how we got through the water crisis between when our well went bad and when we got connected to MCWD. We have good neighbors.

colemanlee

Glad as hell I dont live there....still the wild west here

• Like 2

cvgtpc1
3 hours ago, colemanlee said:

Glad as hell I dont live there....still the wild west here

About the only reason I like the PI anymore.

• Thanks 1

Goetz1965

I dont really understand why you need a well.

My waterbill is usually around 200php each month only.
I never would drink that tap water as I sometimes can smell its chlorined.
And I would never drink water from a well or even use it for washing !
I lived in Inayawan and they had a well on the ground - sure that was no deep well but the water was smelly and oil was shimmering on its surface - maybe just ok for carwash ....

Paul
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

I dont really understand why you need a well.

I believe, in TJ's case, there is no city waterline near his property.

In my case, I don't want to rely on city water, or power, for that matter. We are off-grid at the farm with grid backup, and plan to stay that way. 

Paul
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

I never would drink that tap water as I sometimes can smell its chlorined.

Well water isn't chlorinated. But, you had better filter it. Wouldn't hurt to add an ultraviolet light after the filter, as well.

2 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

And I would never drink water from a well or even use it for washing !

How about rainwater? It hasn't killed me yet.