Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Ok so driller came yesterday (with pics)

SkyMan

The drilling was supposed to start Wednesday morning at 9.  I figured maybe 1030.  About 1 I txted and called.  Nothing.  Thursday nothing.  Ok, so Friday was the Typhoon and I didn't expect him then.  He showed up yesterday morning while I was out with some equipment and said they'd be back at 1.  Ha  Back at about 245 to start setting up.  Driller said this is the small unit good for maybe 60 ft although he has 80 feet of drill here.  Says the big one is on a job and will be here next week to go on.  Hmmmmmm

This is the winch unit.  Just a metal spool with 2 belts to the motor at left.  I think he said 5 HP.  The pole on the right is a section of drill.  There was a gate there and bamboo fence to it but Yolanda took that out.  The little shack in the background is my neighbor's to the left and was being scrapped.  The storm helped that along some.  The concrete post to the left of that is my power pole I built 2 years ago to bring power to our house.  The wires run from there underground in GI pipe directly to the guy red shorts, then turns to your right.

SAM_3472_zps49df545d.jpg

SAM_3474_zps9e9eac6d.jpg

The pulley frame is connected to the motor frame and staked down, then a guy climbed up to put the big rope through the pulley.

SAM_3476_zps6c2b7080.jpg

The hole is started but hand with a spud bar and hand shovel.

SAM_3478_zpsf03347d5.jpg

Water is poured in the hole as they drill and also on the rope at the winch.

SAM_3479_zps1b4a8158.jpg

Basically it works like a giant spud bar.  The guy on the left pulls the rope which binds on the winch and pulls the drill up.  Then he releases tension on the rope and the drill drops into the hole aided by the one or two guys throwing the drill down the hole.  Simple but effective.

SAM_3480_zps321448ae.jpg

About quitting time, the one guy is now throwing the drill down squatting.  The bit section is about ten feet.  They have 3 20ft sections of drill (pipe) here and a 10ft section.  I imagine tomorrow (if they come) they will add the 10ft section and go on.  When that is done they'll take the 10ft off and add 20 and continue in that manner until the motor can no longer raise the drill to go deeper.

• Like 6

Paul

Um, they are drilling a well right in your drive way, it appears? 

• Like 2

SkyMan

Right, former driveway that is.  That road you see is where the locals were driving across our land because it was the easiest route.  When I bought the land the first step was to clear it and then put fencing up to force them to use the road where they were supposed to go.  We put the gate there though as it was easier for us, however, the gate actually had us driving across the neighbor's lot.  I always knew we'd eventually have to move it and even had a new gate set up when we knew the driller was coming.  We just have to take down a section of fence and the we can use the new gate.  Right now we can still slip by the drilling equipment.

Edited by SkyMan

SkyMan

I chose the spot because it's in an odd shaped corner of the lot.  The lot is mostly square except with a triangle that sticks out there.  That spot is also a meter or so lower there.

Paddy

You do have fancy stuff in Liloan! It was a 2 or 3 manpower motor for us...otherwise an identical concept

post-15276-0-43304900-1384098051_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

towboat72

hay it works ..we had one drilled to 93 ft  about three years ago using same type of equiptment.

thanks for the pictures

Edited by towboat72

thebob

Thanks for the report. I'm interested in your daily progress. That motor looks bigger than 5hp to me. I would have liked to have seen a picture of the bit. The ones I've seen were made of bearing races braised on the end of the pipe.

As the line gets longer there will be more weight and it should proceed a bit faster. That slope will be handy when the slurry puddle starts to form.

SkyMan

I'll see if I can get a pic of the bit. The bar comes to a point and then there are four 'fins' welded on. Looks like the back of a missile.

That motor looks bigger than 5hp to me.

Me too. Maybe I misheard 25 HP.

As the line gets longer there will be more weight and it should proceed a bit faster.

I was thinking that too. At some point the guys throwing the drill down may not be required. Edited by SkyMan

jtmwatchbiz

thanks for the pics and it looks like you got some nice land there skyman.

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 2

Paddy

As the line gets longer there will be more weight and it should proceed a bit faster

I was only on site for the start of one of the three wells we drilled. My impression, with the manual model, is that progress tended to slow down as the hole got deeper. With the motor of course, fatigue shouldn't be a factor.

I didn't see the bit at any point - but I did see the 1/4 turn on each drop. The level of skill involved in getting the timing of that 1/4 turn right must be high. 

Years ago I had the opportunity to watch a rig drill a well here in Ontario. 40 feet through 38.5 feet of rock. It took two hours including inserting a 10 foot steel casing in the top of the well. The manual crew did that depth in about 4 days. It took another 6 to get close to 80 feet. No casing of course. 

SkyMan

thanks for the pics and it looks like you got some nice land there skyman.

Thanks, and the house is still there. :)

So I finally got hold of the driller at 10 this morning and he said he's waited for his workers and was on his way. It's 10 minutes to my place, 15 if you go the long way. Now I know why he said it would take a month.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

SkyMan
'thebob', on 11 Nov 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

That motor looks bigger than 5hp to me.

I did confirm with the driller that motor was 5HP.  Has a really heavy fly wheel on it too. 

'thebob', on 11 Nov 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

I would have liked to have seen a picture of the bit.

post-940-0-88540500-1390019311_thumb.jpg

Ok, so back on Memorial Day I posted that the driller had estimated maybe a month.  Yeah right.  Some days they show up to work, mostly not.  Even so I think we've gone past a month of man days already.  I'm paying by the foot so it doesn't matter too much to me but I would like to get this done as there are some other things that need to get done before it's ready for a pump.  A few weeks ago they were down about 100ft and the motor they'd started with wasn't pulling hard enough any more.  It was 5HP which turned 2 belts turning an axle that turned a chain to turn the wench.  So they brought in this one:

post-940-0-73684400-1390020168_thumb.jpgpost-940-0-34150300-1390020243_thumb.jpg

This one is a 230?cc 2cyl motor and the axle has been replaced with a multicab transmission so they can adjust the gearing.

Last month they ran out of pipe about noon and couldn't go further so they left.  I txted the driller to bring more and he brought one the next day but it had no threads on one end and they had a coupling so I had to weld the coupling on for them so they could go on.  A week later, no more pipe so they left.  I txted the driller to bring 3 more which he did the next day but 2 had thread problems.  Then yesterday about noon a belt broke on the motor, water pump I think.  They said they'd be back today with a new belt but no sign yet. 

Anyway, they say they're about 130ft down and no water yet but the drill is coming up very clean so I think they're at least in moister limestone.  They get a laugh when they pull up the drill and I yell Hello down the hole.

That big tarp you see in the pics is over on the side folded up now.  A gust from the winds we've been having took it and pulled up one of the big guud bamboo fence posts it was tied to.  We haven't seen the sun in over a week anyway so they don't need it.

• Like 2

billy

Did you ever reach water and how deep did you go?

Paul

Did you ever reach water and how deep did you go?

Near the end of his previous post: 

Anyway, they say they're about 130ft down and no water yet but the drill is coming up very clean so I think they're at least in moister limestone.

SkyMan

• Like 4