Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

Moalboal - Argao road

udonthani

I aim to be taking this over in about 10 days/2 weeks.

where do I pick it up. To the left, or right as I join the highway coming from Pangsama. Is it signposted?

what is the road like, is it easy or what. Is it better to leave it until there is good weather or is it possible even on a quite rainy day. I'm on a 125.

Bill H

where do I pick it up. To the left, or right as I join the highway coming from Pangsama. Is it signposted?

what is the road like, is it easy or what. Is it better to leave it until there is good weather or is it possible even on a quite rainy day. I'm on a 125.

From Moalboal head to Ronda.  As you enter town the National Highway makes a sharp left turn (just before the Church and the market), angle off to the right and head towards the mountains.  There is a sign, but it is not always easy to read.  The road is bad in spots, but if you're on a bike it will be fine.  It's a pretty drive if the weather is good.

thebob

Turn left and go to Ronda, the road is down the side of the market and there is a sign.

I rode it coming the other way about 2 months ago just after the rain and it was fine. I was on a TMX with slick sports tires, 2 up. There are a few muddy parts and a few loose accents and descents but nothing too technical.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 2

Paul

If that is the road I am thinking of, it used to be pure shit. Did they finally do something with it?

shadow

We have taken the road a number of times in the last few years. Always has some bad spots but quite passable on a bike. As Bill and Bob said, there are signs to get on it in Ronda on the big corner. It will bring you out just north of the Taloot wharf. You'll enjoy it.

Bill H

Funny when I rode it, most of it was paved, unless you take the side trails that take you back to Alcantara.

udonthani

I'm now contemplating taking it on Tuesday. It looks like the total distance will be around 53km to Argao from Moalboal if done this way, whereas through Carcar, it is around 75km. So it is less distance, but will it take less time. I will have my full kit on board this time, not the part kit I had last time I went to Argao from Moalboal when I stopped off for a couple of days at the Carcar fiesta, when I knew I was going to be back in Moalboal in a few days.

thebob

I'm now contemplating taking it on Tuesday. It looks like the total distance will be around 53km to Argao from Moalboal if done this way, whereas through Carcar, it is around 75km. So it is less distance, but will it take less time.

It is difficult to guess without knowing how you ride, but I would do the journey about 20 mins faster 2 up with luggage going over the mountain. Time of day is also a big influence. If the journey were during school opening closing or lunch times the Carcar route is even slower because of the multiple school zones on the way.

udonthani

I'm a pretty circumspect driver, careful. When the road over from near that town where the market is just before Barili to Alonginsan for Toledo was fecked (it is now ok), it used to take me 40 minutes to do the 12km.

I will be solo. I usually am on these kind of drives. Why bother having a girl on the back when you know there will be one where you are going.