The engagement ring

smokey

Just skip it, and rather spend the money on something that makes a positive difference. Something that helps her family perhaps. That would make all parties happy.

a LAZY BOY RECLINER WAS MY CHOICE 

I want to buy her something to mark the engagement tho :) , I know its my stupid western thinking but I want to get her something simple to remember the moment by... in terms of helping out the family, thats a good idea .. my folks are getting something for her whole family tho' (her family..) - I'm almost positive they are getting money for Christmas :) from my folks ................. maybe put on a bit of a engagement party -lots off (deffo my fav sisig, mmmm) whilst I'm over this time around .

well tattoo BMW was here on her 

I want to get her something simple to remember the moment by...

That sounds much better. Why don't you just do that. :)

When I bought my wife our engagement ring at SM mall, she commented that you could build a small house in the Philippines for what you are paying for this ring. (She meant a squatters house of course.)  :rofl:

spritsail

I spent 55,000 That is about 1/10 of what I spent the one previous time in Canada

Pesos or dollars? . my anssie mate visiting here last week got engaged, not only a diamond ring, but also a brand new scooter for her,a multicab, and shipping a container of tools, machinery, (concrete mixers, mini backhoe etc) for the brother.

to think i never got round to buying my english ex an engagement ring or even a wedding ring,or even proposing fo that matter,. i just arrived home from a two year sea voyage to find myself in church, in chains., Pressed ganged.

smokey

When I bought my wife our engagement ring at SM mall, she commented that you could build a small house in the Philippines for what you are paying for this ring. (She meant a squatters house of course.)  :rofl:

you mean a cardboard condo ?

• Like 1

Like you, I checked out the prices for engagement rings in PI. I emailed a few shops in Cebu. Honestly I found the prices to be no cheaper than here locally. I bought a $350 ring in the US. White gold with a small diamond. I thought it was better to get a small diamond of nice quality, rather than a bit larger diamond with crummier quality, thinking the larger stone might be too visible. Again, I had no interest in breaking the bank but did want something nice. And she is a small Filipina and a larger stone seemed silly.

When she arrived her, we returned to the shop, bought a small matching wedding ring, and together they look great and I ended up spending under $700.

If she likes shopping at Divisoria take her to the Chinese jewelers at the Binondo market and let her pick out something she is comfortable wearing. When in your home country you can buy a real ring...or not.

If she likes shopping at Divisoria take her to the Chinese jewelers at the Binondo market and let her pick out something she is comfortable wearing. When in your home country you can buy a real ring...or not.

Yeah she loves the Divisoria, hahaha .. that's sounds like a good plan.

I spent too much on a ring with a nice high grade diamond... my wife left it at home while she went to work one day... it grew legs and walked away while she was out.

Everyone thinks a guest that was staying at the house at the time stole it, but nothing could be proven.

I spent too much on a ring with a nice high grade diamond... my wife left it at home while she went to work one day... it grew legs and walked away while she was out.

Everyone thinks a guest that was staying at the house at the time stole it, but nothing could be proven.

My partner knows a chick in Cebu , Got a p60k ring given by her foreigner bf, took it to and pawned it for 6k..a month later.    Was happy with the money and never went back to collect it.  Have not seen her or heard since then.

My partner knows a chick in Cebu , Got a p60k ring given by her foreigner bf, took it to and pawned it for 6k..a month later. Was happy with the money and never went back to collect it. Have not seen her or heard since then.

Probably the best thing that could happen. Imagine if the bf went ahead and married such a girl.

On that note, perhaps giving your girl an expensive ring is not such a bad idea after all. Go for something easy to value, like pure gold. Let her know the value and that it is a symbol of your love or whatever. If it gets pawned (or more likely, disappears in a weird way) you know the deal.

• Like 1