Sign in to follow this  
54guy

Need to know the price of pig food! (Am I being scammed by gf for it?)

54guy

My gf near Tacloban says she's spending from 1,100 to 1,400 pesos each week to feed one growing piglet. I find it suspicious but so far have given her the benefit of the doubt. Can anyone tell me the real coz of pig food there?  Thanks!

• Like 1

trax

It depends if her 'pig' drinks red horse and eat at mang inasal every other day. That's way too much imho.

• Like 5

mrlondon

My gf near Tacloban says she's spending from 1,100 to 1,400 pesos each week to feed one growing piglet. I find it suspicious but so far have given her the benefit of the doubt. Can anyone tell me the real coz of pig food there?  Thanks!

Ha ha ha ! No one would keep pigs in the philippines if it cost that much to feed them!

I suspect trax might be onto something regarding the beer and fast food ?

If she is lying to you, that's a rotten mentality in her mind. Not the kind of girl I would like to have!

Edited by mrlondon
  • Like 2

Paul

Holy Pig Shite! Mate, give her no more benefit of the doubt. As stated, if it cost that much to feed a single piglet, that little shit would be the size of a baby elephant. 

I have no idea of the current cost of pig feed is, but that would be an entire bag of it, I would hazard a guess. 

• Like 2

ThomsonJr

She's scamming you. You call her your GF? She probably has a Filipino boyfriend to feed.

• Like 1

Enuff

Brucewayne

Tell her to use cracked corn as it is better feed and can be bought a whole lot cheaper than P1,400 a week.

It shouldn't cost more than P1,000. 00 per month anyway seeing as you can buy a fully roasted 3 month old piglet for around P3,500-P4,500 at any time here.

tim

What is the pupose of the piglet ? If it is for the holiday feast --- U only have a few more weeks to pay... if the GF is worth it, then keep paying until the Fiesta , then cut off the $. Just put it in the back of your mind if U decide to go for the next step -- wife --  that her family will always come first over U and they will get $ from her... more of your money... but that is the price U pay for happiness... :sarcasm:

good luck...

smokey

to make money in pigs one has to go out and find the scraps from the many eateries ... or if one has a rich BF just buy feed much cleaner and less work 

• Like 1

Jawny

I don't think the cost is that ridiculous. Although a single sack of feed may be found for less, that is not the way many farmers buy their pig food. Especially if the pig is not kept in their own pig sty. Some farmers here have to use another farmers pig sty. In effect, they buy the right to raise the piglet. It is their property and can be slaughtered or so,d at any time. But, they keep the pig in the same shit hole they were born in.

Then, in order to pay for the food. They don't pay the cost of a single sack, particularly if they don't control the food. That is, have the food where they can prevent people from borrowing the feed. So, they buy the food in one or two kilo purchases and keep,it at home, bringing it to the sty. It is a way we make money at our sari sari store.

Also, their are some dirt cheap feeds, but you get what you pay for. Some of the feeds are supplemented and intended to assure proper growth. I know some members will argue the merits of this, but true or not, the farmers here swear by the value of quality feeds.

So, your girlfriend may just be carelessly managing the money. Also, is this covering the cost of any shots or veterinary needs?

If she is ripping you off, then I guess it is a classic way to do it. Claim a false expense. Pig food is a good one! Less complicated that fake education costs or "medical issues" with phantom relatives.

SkyMan

I don't know how much pig food costs but I spend about that much to feed my 3 adult German Shepherds for a month.  Also note that a whole cooked lechon costs 3-5K so yes, she's bsing you.

• Like 2

Davaoeno

I found that the b-meg - 50k bag should last 22-25 days @ about p1200 per bag http://b-meg.com.ph/...cat-hog-raising

if i read it correctly thats for a 3-5 month old pig. I assume a little piglet eats much less than a 3 month old one 

Enuff

there is a positive & negative to everything...............

positives:

1. your pig will be the biggest & best tasting pig ever

or

2. your girl thinks outside the box

negatives:

1. she is being charged kano prices

or

2. she is extremely poor manager of piggery

shadow

Hmmm, must be some piglet!

We have found quite a number of pigs in our travels, most of them have two legs instread of four.

www.pointmancebu.com

• Like 3

roaddog

I see all the expert pig farmers on here have gave their varied opinions. I have 2 pigs getting ready to have piglets. They each consume one 50 kilo bag per month. They also eat a few scraps here and there. Cost of 50K feed 1200p I was paying about 1400p for starter feed. I also have a rabbit out there which is in your piglet category. It also eating about 1000p of feed a week. Pigs are fat and healthy and damn rabbit losing weight. Hmmmmmmmmmm

• Like 2

RPretire?

Scam

• Like 1

Ozepete

She probably has a Filipino boyfriend to feed.

and his name is 'Piglet', so she is not scamming you! :snap:

• Like 1

panther

she is feeding neighbours piglets too by the sound of it she is scamming you .

Bill H

Tell her to use cracked corn as it is better feed and can be bought a whole lot cheaper than P1,400 a week.

It shouldn't cost more than P1,000. 00 per month anyway seeing as you can buy a fully roasted 3 month old piglet for around P3,500-P4,500 at any time here.

Bad advice.  Pigs like people need a well rounded diet.  Trying eating only corn for a few weeks and see how you feel!  Prepared pig food has multiple ingredients because pigs require multiple nutrients.  That said, sure does sound like this gf is running a scam and needs to be replaced!

Jawny

54guy....since you want our opinions as to whether you are being cheated on a scam to get money for pig food, I would suggest you consider all the other factors before you dump this girl. I have to assume you are sending the money and thus have trust issues. It is no concern to me, but before you make a decision to drop her, consider she may just be an inexperienced girl with a generous boyfriend. Some of her friends may want to help her, and help themselves at the same time.

So, imagine a naive girl asking some "experienced" friend, what does is the cost of raising a pig, This experienced friend may have all sorts of ideas or opinions and give guidance which is quite incorrect.

The girlfriend takes this info and passes it along to the boyfriend, you.

When I first came here to live, I was having a house built and wanted to stay in a rental unit. There were hotels to use, but we had three children and a house would be so much better. So, we were offered a house to rent and it was two houses down from her parents, was "furnished" and we could have it for as long as we wanted.

I had no clue as to costs for a house, so I willing popped for 20,000 pesos a month. Yes, that is 20k.

Houses typically are not for rent, and the ones that are available are dumps. This we learned later. As well, the typical rent never exceeds 2000 pesos a month. We were getting screwed and didn't even know it. On top of that, the place was furnished, but just barely. There was furniture, such as it was. But, we had to be sure the doors were closed at night tinght or the rats would use them as egress. The cockroaches were plentiful and one of the two toilets was so filthy we cleaned it and locked it and never used it. I could go on, but you get the idea.

This was a relative of ours.

I tell you this story to point out that it is entirely possible the girl has been told by a "friend" that it costs that much for food for the pig.

The only suspicion I have is why it is just one pig. If this is to raise for slaughter when you come for a visit, then it makes sense. If it is to help her with income, a single pig isn't going to help much.

• Like 1

tobster

A 150Kg mother pig expecting a litter doesn't eat that much according to my friend who has 5 of them and makes a good living from it. Quoting him when I told him your story he laughed so much and said if it were true he would have been living on the streets by now. When a pig has a large litter he wouldn't spend that much....

• Like 2

Brucewayne

Bad advice.  Pigs like people need a well rounded diet.  Trying eating only corn for a few weeks and see how you feel!  Prepared pig food has multiple ingredients because pigs require multiple nutrients.  That said, sure does sound like this gf is running a scam and needs to be replaced!

We always fed medicated feed mixed with cracked corn, maybe I wasn't clear and didn't mean exclusively corn, but it does fatten them up really fast without the slop fed type fat.

Runian

I would ask her a few questions , like type of pig feed, price of a sack and how long that sack last 

that way u force her to become more specific in her lying or ignorance ...

if she pays 5- 10k for a sack of feed SHE is being scammed so u send her to another feed outlet.. Or maybe ate that is taking care of the pig is envious of her good fortunes and feels entitled to her share of the blessings !?! 

Most Filipino scammers , scam other Filipinos! 

RogerDuMond

Tell her to use cracked corn

Not a good idea. Cracked corn, depending on the size, sells for 25 to 28 pesos per kilo.