Sign in to follow this  
Willie

Lilet Never Happened - Philippines Cinema

Willie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1986951/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_aGdeUSsk

Jacco Groen has created a film that addresses, point blank, the heartbreaking story of a small girl facing sexual exploitation. He rejects all the standard Hollywood cliché of portraying the children as helpless objects of our pity, to be rescued by a male hero like Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise does appear in this movie, but only as an image torn from a magazine. Lilet is on her own.

Sandy Talag is probably the most natural, dynamic, and beautiful child actor since Peter Bartholomew or recently, Dakota Fanning. Your heart aches for this fragile girl in this terrible, ugly environment. And yet Lilet has not an ounce of self pity. A real child in a broken, abusive environment has no time for tears. Children adapt quickly to any environment, and learn their own ways of surviving.

The entire cast and crew worked together in this indy film to show Lilet as someone who, at an early age, refuses to follow the adults And when you meet the adults in her life, you will understand. But Lilet cannot differentiate between her saviors and her captors, refusing even those who would help. No matter what, she is determined to make her own choices, even the wrong ones. And that spirit is one of the most inspiring things to capture on film this year.

--- Steven de Castro

Edited by Willie
  • Like 1

A_Simple_Man

I downloaded the torrent of this movie from Pirate Bay. It is mixed Tagalog and English so I had to search for subtitles and download those also (none with the torrent unfortunately)

Great, thought provoking, realistic movie.  The thought that crossed my mind is that the child actress playing Lilet was equally good at portraying the main character at 11 years old and 15 years old and I still have no idea how old the actress really is.  Age of the girls is always going to be a huge concern for bar patrons who have a few drinks and want a young looking but legal age companion.  The movie does not offer any solutions but at least they never look at her teeth in the film (supposedly a common way to tell age here).

airforceone

saw the movie. i laugh hard about she did to the car with a peso coin. hope no one would do it here in cebu.

Brucewayne

I only watched the previews, but the girl seems to be a very good actress.

I think I could actually sit through one of her movies without laughing or being disgusted by her performance and that is more than I can say about the flicks my wife has talked me into trying to watch.

I bet we will be seeing a lot more of this young starlet in the future, Bravo!

CebuKano

I only watched the previews, but the girl seems to be a very good actress.

I think I could actually sit through one of her movies without laughing or being disgusted by her performance and that is more than I can say about the flicks my wife has talked me into trying to watch.

I bet we will be seeing a lot more of this young starlet in the future, Bravo!

Indeed. Fast Forward to 4:23

udonthani

not too sure where they picked it up but Filipinos managed to pick up basic movie grammar from somewhere. They are not that bad. They can tell a story in simple human terms. They are usually pretty good Filipino movies and one only has to look at PBO a bit to realise that. Although they are too sentimental for my taste they are still good. Just sometimes, you get the odd one that shines, is not too sentimental, and those are the best Filipino movies, that show what life actually contains in the Philippines. Broken hearts, awry business deals, violence, jeepneys, trikes, dirt, lackadaiscal rule of law, spectacularly loud random noises (for no particular reason), and everything.