Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)

Half Baked

I'm a little concerned about the storm surge, being here in Talisay. I don't know how far inland it comes here.

stevensanph

The issue here is PAGASA have ignored it for days.  GFS had this on their model 3 weeks ago and every model since has had it hitting somewhere along Samar.  Its rare to have so many models in such close alignment.  They should have warned on this a week ago, and they should be blanketing the media.  

I just told my wife we were doing a food shop tonight for cans etc.  She asked why - I told her the typhoon... What typhoon came the reply - the news isn't saying anything!

• Like 2

BossHog

Is this Fear Mongering or the real thing??? Is this like Katrina in N.O.....??? That big? Come on guys.....tell the truth.

There have been plenty of resources listed here to track the storm on your own.

The government agency in charge of reporting storms has already been found lacking/derelict

If you have a family here or are even considering sea travel (!) on Friday, it's up to you to process the available information and make an educated decision.

But... yeah, Cyrus,

buy supplies, get plywood for the windows, and don't get on a boat. Clear enough?

• Like 3

rfm010

Is this Fear Mongering or the real thing???   Is this like Katrina in N.O.....???  That big?  Come on guys.....tell the truth.

really it's hard to make predictions about actual damage from a given storm.  katrina, remember, was a problem as much due to the levy breaking as anything.  last years storm killed a good number of people in mindanao even though it faded a bit in strength just before reaching shore. 

this one is looking very much like trouble.  whether the trouble will be fairly concentrated near the path of the eye or more spread out depends on lots of variables both on land and in regard to the storm itself.  those who live in the area defined by the cone of the path should at least prepare for flooding if in a flood prone area and power outages.  those closer to the path of the eye should be prepared for stronger winds which may do nothing more than blow down some trees to take the roof off your house and put it on your brand new car.  if you live on a coast move inland.  if you live on a slope get off it, if you live at the bottom of a slope, move away from it, if you live close to a creek or river be prepared for rising water, etc.

one of the problems with storm preparation is these storms sometimes don't cause as much damage as expected and then people become complacent when the next storm approaches. 

• Like 1

panther

skywalker will have a nice view up on the 34th floor of his condo lol are you brave enough to stay up there ?

A_Simple_Man

Is this Fear Mongering or the real thing???  

The same kinds of posts were made a year ago when the Super typhoon turned out to be something unmemorable.  But it could have been a bad one.  I would not say it is fear mongering so much as just plain fear among mongers.

• Like 3

SkyMan

Better get my rain collecting set up.  All barrels will be filled soon.

Raven

Better get my rain collecting set up.  All barrels will be filled soon.

I don't use barrels...I have a 5-6 meter firewall around my lot!! You think it get full?

udonthani

well where I am staying there is somebody who has been here 20 years and reckons this will be the worse one in all that time. Agree last year turned out to be damp squib though. I legged it off of Leyte and got the last ferry over to Cebu and bike over the mountain unnecessarily, as it turned out. 

ever public spirited, I just gallantly mentioned to the hot 5'9 shopgirl in the Gaisano here that when she finishes work tomorrow night and it is all a bit hectic weather wise and she doesn't fancy the 18km bus ride back to where she lives that where I stay close by is very sturdily constructed and workmen have been busily cutting away all the tree branches nearby in the past couple of days and she is more than welcome to wait out the storm there. 

• Like 2

ozboy

Well just read on the news that said typhoon will hit Bohol, Cebu n Leyte.....so no school thurs n fri.....won't be long before the panic sets in.....

Not sure if its just where we live but our kids have had so many days off since the earthquake, no wonder they learn nothing.....

Edited by ozboy
  • Like 2

ILoveCyrus

I'm hearing that Landfall in Samar will be 3AM .........Thursday???  TRUE or FALSE....?

ILoveCyrus

Well just read on the news that said typhoon will hit Bohol, Cebu n Leyte.....so no school thurs n fri.....won't be long before the panic sets in.....

Not sure if its just where we live but our kids have had so many days off since the earthquake, no wonder they learn nothing.....

LOL.....now, that is funny...!!! 

BossHog

I'm hearing that Landfall in Samar will be 3AM .........Thursday??? TRUE or FALSE....?

According to the current track, I'd say more like sunrise on Friday morning in Samar.

BossHog

post-5791-0-56056000-1383727435_thumb.gif

Now, that's starting to get too close for comfort.

That puts the eye near my place on Friday morning.

The storms tracking due west at the moment.

I'd evacuate but friends, neighbours, and relatives are starting to pour into my place. Be kinda poor form to leave now.

• Like 1