Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)

Salty Dog

After landfall though the cyclone should zip quickly across the islands, hopefully reducing damage.

It was that way in Florida. The faster they moved, the less damage. The ones that stalled in one position for hours were much worse.

BossHog

Hot off the presses. Notice gusts to 195 mph and westward movement.

post-5791-0-28761800-1383759693_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

JasonEcos

Stay safe everyone and good luck.

CebuKano

attachicon.gifwp201331_sat.jpg

Thanks Boss. If this thing is moving due west Mactan and Metro Cebu City could be in trouble.

Canuck Joe

attachicon.gifwp201331_sat.jpg

i need an ETA before i can sleep...

anybody?

Shit is real now.

game time come daylight people...good luck

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 1

CebuKano

Don't forget to charge your cellphones, tablets and laptops prior to the storm hitting.

CebuKano

Another news article. Gotta take my wife to work. She earns more than my pension so gotta keep her happy! I should add her to Headshot's "I Love My Wife" thread .. :D

Take care all. Hope we all come through this ok. Be careful...

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/521839/215-kph-winds-heavy-rains-up

• Like 1

Mariafemac

Here i am sitting just wishing i could be back in Mactan before this strikes! Why? To be with my family, no other reason.... Over the last 8 weeks of being away from them (working in Iraq) as any family man will appreciate i have been tormented with worry. Our home is in Mactan with our new home being built on Bohol. What with the earthquake and and multiple aftershocks and now the storm about to hit i have naturally been only worried about my brood. Currently sat in Dubai airport and through all the trawling of information can only pray that a sudden slow down of progression of the storm means i will be able to get the connecting flight from Manila to Mactan. Not overly confident and would give my all just to be able to be there beside them through this next test of character. Have done all i can in passing advice in the event i cannot be there. My wife deserves a medal for holding it all together while i am gone, looking after 4 bouncing trouble makers is no mean task on any normal day.

Canuck Joe

Here i am sitting just wishing i could be back in Mactan before this strikes! Why? To be with my family, no other reason.... Over the last 8 weeks of being away from them (working in Iraq) as any family man will appreciate i have been tormented with worry. Our home is in Mactan with our new home being built on Bohol. What with the earthquake and and multiple aftershocks and now the storm about to hit i have naturally been only worried about my brood. Currently sat in Dubai airport and through all the trawling of information can only pray that a sudden slow down of progression of the storm means i will be able to get the connecting flight from Manila to Mactan. Not overly confident and would give my all just to be able to be there beside them through this next test of character. Have done all i can in passing advice in the event i cannot be there. My wife deserves a medal for holding it all together while i am gone, looking after 4 bouncing trouble makers is no mean task on any normal day.

well spoken....I hear you and empathise.

my mom and many are for sure feeling very simular to you...we all have loved ones abroad either here or there..only thing that can be done from abroad now is to pass on comfoting words and love.

And all of us need to just have acceptance....come what may, and hope to see eath other on the other side.

focus on a peacful place....the terror will pass.

much love...same goes to all you ole so and so's nere on LIC

Edited by Canuck Joe

BossHog

Strengthening.

JTWC's warning #15 is calling for winds at 150 knots gusting to 180 knots (333 kph).

http://www.usno.navy.mil/NOOC/nmfc-ph/RSS/jtwc/warnings/wp3113.gif

Also,

"[The] system has developed to almost max intensity for a cyclone,” notes a NOAA bulletin.

Officially, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center forecasts additional strengthening over the next day, but with the storm near its theoretical maximum strength – it’s more likely it has leveled off. As it continues westward over the Philippine Sea, its inner core may re-organize through what’s known as an eyewall replacement cycle, which would briefly weaken the storm. But water temperatures are very warm along Haiyan’s path, so significant weakening is unlikely. ..."

Luap777

Latest JTWC forecast track brings it a bit south.... South of Tacloban, straight through Ormoc City, hitting Northern Cebu, Bantayan Island, Northern Panay and Boracay..... Sustained winds still 250kmh after it crosses Leyte with gusts over 300kmh.

wp3113.gif

CebuKano

I hear you and understand your frustration. As of now it looks like the worst of the storm will pass to the north of Mactan and Cebu City. Of course nothing is certain but at least as of now it's good news for us, bad news for anyone well north of us. I wish your family all the best and hope all will be well for them.

CebuKano

Latest JTWC forecast track brings it a bit south.... South of Tacloban, straight through Ormoc City, hitting Northern Cebu, Bantayan Island, Northern Panay and Boracay..... Sustained winds still 250kmh after it crosses Leyte with gusts over 300kmh.wp3113.gif

Thanks. This is one hell of a storm to be sure. Sustained winds of 250+ is a monster. Not to mention the storm surge.

bahalina buong

270 kph winds with gusts to 320....wow.   And the projected path didn't change much overnight.  Sending the wife and baby to find us a hotel room here in Ormoc this morning.  I don't think the corrugated metal roof on our old rental house will survive this.  It a little stressful dealing with all this as a family man.  If I was still single, I would probably ride it out shitfaced in some bar...haha.  Here's the latest:

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/western-pacific/2013/Super-Typhoon-Haiyan?map=sat&MR=1

• Like 1