Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan)

rfm010

This was the last GFS run... 

typhoon1.jpg

The new model is in progress... this is the 48hr image from the latest run

gfs_mslp_wind_wpac_17.png

Looking like very little change... Leyte is in the firing line...

i always love looking at these types of images.  reminds me of my college days when i was, ummm, shall we say, studying chemistry...

regarding ilovecyrus' question about the eye:  yes it is calm there, but see all those lines tightly converging around it?  those are the nasty winds you get to experience before and after enjoying the calm of the eye.

• Like 1

Canuck Joe

Is this Fear Mongering or the real thing???   Is this like Katrina in N.O.....???  That big?  Come on guys.....tell the truth.

if you are so keen an able to travel...GTFO now and board an airplane...fly at least two hours...no worries what so ever.

• Like 1

For Real

I am scheduled to land at Mactan lunch time Friday...might be a long day

• Like 1

Hy H

Long day / night, you maybe waiting for a while your flight to depart if all this is coming here by Friday.? 

Canuck Joe

Like Hy said.......depending on where you are coming from...good chance your flight will be canceled or diverted. This is a good thing for you.

Canuck Joe

These models are getting updated more often than their time-stamp suggests.  Landfall projections continue to move southward.  Two days ago, it was calling for N. Samar....now its S. Leyte.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/western-pacific/2013/Super-Typhoon-Haiyan?map=ensmodel

Shit....

I have made a check list to help organize the troops...they may not understand my barking...but they can read(plus it helps me organise my thoughts under pressure)

CebuKano

Water (drinking and MCWD), plywood, nails, rope, .... beer :) ... oh, fill up the gas tanks... watch and wait. If by tomorrow it seems Mandaue will take a direct hit I will relocate to higher ground for the day/night...

Anyone want to do a boat trip Friday? :D

• Like 1

panther

good luck with that lol

CebuKano

At the current projected path Boracay will get a direct hit. I hope all the poor workers are allowed to evacuate on time. The projected storm surge could be a killer for sure. I hope luck is with them.

Canuck Joe

At the current projected path Boracay will get a direct hit. I hope all the poor workers are allowed to evacuate on time. The projected storm surge could be a killer for sure. I hope luck is with them.

Storm surge is my next question...my brain fogged logic tells me storm surge should disperse by Mactan....

any experts have insight?

Singed Bushman

10 meters above sea level.

• Like 1

CebuKano

Storm surge is my next question...my brain fogged logic tells me storm surge should disperse by Mactan....

any experts have insight?

Singed Bushman

10 meters above sea level.

Yeah, this is a serious question. I was talking with the elders here in our neighborhood (close to Pacific Mall - Metro) and the last direct hit from a typhoon the storm surge was high enough to kill some confined pigs and goats in the area (it was a lot more rural then compared to now). A lot of houses ruined or took water damage. Not so much by wind but by the surge....I suppose it all depends on a number of factors but it's best to be aware for sure. Edited by Motörhead

Hy H

Locals here in Cebu city are also getting prepared for whatever is coming up with this typhoon.

Fooda Guadalupe supermarket had to stay open later tonight coz of amount of late customers.

News of many customers looking for canned food, flashlights and batteries. 

Canuck Joe

Yeah, this is a serious question. I was talking with the elders here in our neighborhood (close to Pacific Mall - Metro) and the last direct hit from a typhoon the storm surge was high enough to kill some confined pigs and goats in the area (it was a lot more rural then compared to now). A lot of houses ruined or took water damage. Not so much by wind but by the surge....I suppose it all depends on a number of factors but it's best to be aware for sure.

interesting...that must be very close to sea...i hope

Wife says in 90 no surge reached south Mactan...just gathering information to have plan D, E, and F

Salamt

edit to add

now that i know where Pacific mall is...i would think that is flooding from rainfall...

Its Mandaue after all

Edited by Canuck Joe

Lee

Be safe all!

Hope it fizzles out or turns away before it hits the Philippines.

• Like 1