Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

How to Make a Cheroot Holder

BossHog

How to make a cheroot holder.

These were quite popular until the 1880's. Often ornate and made of meerschaum. Smoked in men's clubs after dinner they often had hunting and nude scenes carved on them.

http://www.pijpenkab...meerschuim.html

I decided to make my own cheroot holder after a corn cob pipe from Missouri Meerscham caught fire on me:

I got a new corn cob, took off the kernels and dried it: some time in the sun and also stuck it in the oven a few times after my wife baked a pizza. Didn't need to be all dried out all the way as it's being used as a holder and not a bowl. Hollowed out the pith until there was  an opening at both ends of the cob. Did some rough sanding.

post-5791-0-32002000-1383471827_thumb.jpg post-5791-0-98367400-1383471887_thumb.jpg

Cut an 8" length of bamboo for the stem and fitted the bowl onto one end. On the other end of the bamboo I attached the mouthpiece from the old pipe.

post-5791-0-93099900-1383471973_thumb.jpg

Cut some tobacco into rectangles and rolled them up in a little cheroot a few inches long and stuck the plug into the cob holder:

post-5791-0-14663900-1383472311_thumb.jpg

post-5791-0-84915700-1383472404_thumb.jpg

There was a small airspace where the cob connects to the bamboo stem so my groundskeeper got me some sap/gum from a jackfruit tree and that made a tight seal.

It makes for a cool smoke and has an excellent draw even if looks improvised and homemade.

Improvements for the next model: cut the bamboo so a few nodes show for aesthetic purposes. You can "drill" through the bamboo walls with a red-hot metal clothes hanger or, of course, with a drill. Next time, I'll try varnishing the cob.

I read that old timers would season a cob bowl with honey. Gotta try that. Also, using beeswax on the bamboo stem should give it a nice finish and inhibit cracking.

If no plastic mouthpiece is available you could cut the smoking end of the bamboo like this:

post-5791-0-82063900-1383472810_thumb.jpg

Anyway it kept me busy for a few hours on a rainy Sunday morning and I plan to make some more.

Give it a try and post your pics!! 

Happy smoking.

• Like 4

Headshot

And if you find yourself without toilet paper...

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

• Like 2

thebob

Do you use a monocle?

broden

Do you use a monocle?

2 of them

• Like 2

Sonny

You would be arrested for that in Texas !!!    :hyper:

• Like 1