Question for someone who made a suggestion.

Does anyone remember, or perhaps that person will post letting me know, who suggested building a chicken coop over a pond? As I recall, they stated the chicken excrement could be used to feed the fish.

Man, it would want to be a fecking big pond to avoid pollution.

Add to that, not many fish eat excrement.

KonC

surely that would taint the fish taste,

not only that but the nitrites in the water would go through the roof, followed by the nitrates, not a healthy invironment for fish.

But hey stranger things have been done

This is why I want to do some serious research, prior to starting any "farm" projects. I know nothing about farming - zero, zilch. Well, almost nothing, really. I do know a little bit.

A_Simple_Man

surely that would taint the fish taste,

Are you saying they would taste like chicken and smell like fish?

But seriously, my neighbor is using chicken manure to fertilize his rice fields with some measure of success.  The only one I know dumping chicken manure into his fish pond is fertilizing the algae? or other plant growth which the fish are feeding off.

There used to be rumours here that Tilapia were fed dried chicken shit..No idea if its true.. One thing is for certain though without a really efficient bio filter any uneaten "food" would produce ammonia that would poison the fish before its converted to nitrite..

If you want to try to feed them that stuff,dry it first in the sun and chuck it in the pond a bit at a time..

Secondly,If the fish live,don't tell the people that you sell the fish too!!

Are you saying they would taste like chicken and smell like fish?

But seriously, my neighbor is using chicken manure to fertilize his rice fields with some measure of success.  The only one I know dumping chicken manure into his fish pond is fertilizing the algae? or other plant growth which the fish are feeding off.

Yeah.. Whats happening there is the Algae is absorbing and keeping down the nitrate levels..

The Ammonia has already been converted to nitrite and then to nitrate by either a natural bio filter or a constructed/purchased filter....

Only two ways to control Nitrate levels to an acceptable level for fish.. One is water changes and the second is plants like water lilies etc..and of course.Algae that thrive on the stuff.

Paul : not chicken ... rabbit . But u need a way to convert the urine to nitrite so in combination with a aquaponics grow-bed setup and tilapia. 

you will get to much nitrates and nitrites I believe, as a normal aquaponic system works on 3 times the volume of growbed to water (with 1 fish / 3 gallons water) to balance nitrates. 

so balance is the key.

bio filter -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WHxzDPxQa6I&list=PL024F44BAE9ACBCC4

• Admin (Retired)
broden

chicken shit is rough stuff.. i can't imagine fish who were raised on it could taste very good

and they would probably be some angry fish too ..

Na, I won't do that. I was just thinking, for some odd reason, that it would be a positive thing. Obviously, I was wrong. 

The fish are for only for the family to consume. I doubt they would be selling many of them.