Sign in to follow this  
cebubird

Over Easy-Why So Difficult Here?

cebubird

Is it just me? NEVER EVER had problem frying my eggs over easy-even my wife was able to master it while in the US.

One thing I have noticed is that the shells are harder to break and maybe that breaks the yoke,but on the rare occasion I get one into the pan whole, it breaks.

Have never had one over easy in restaurant here either.

Obviously there must be a way.

HELP---I miss my over easy. I would even settle for sunny side up.

Jawny

If I recall correctly, part of the grading process for eggs is the way the yolk will "hold together". Ends up being graded, AA, A etc with these being sold at premium prices. For use in omelette, or mixing into recipes etc the lower grades are acceptable as the yolk quality is not as important.

I suspect you're not getting the higher grade eggs. Not sure if they are even sold that way here. I buy eggs in the province and we buy them as "fresh" or not.

SomeRandomGuy

never had a problem making over- easy eggs here myself...   a nice trick though if u are having problems is get a small metal bowl ( u know like a alum mixing bowl) and add a small dash of water then pop that over the top for 30 secs.

If u do that before turning it, the steam will make your top of your egg firm up a little so it does not break when u flip it.

Hope that helps u a lil.

• Like 1

JSL-USMC

never had a problem making over- easy eggs here myself...   a nice trick though if u are having problems is get a small metal bowl ( u know like a alum mixing bowl) and add a small dash of water then pop that over the top for 30 secs.

If u do that before turning it, the steam will make your top of your egg firm up a little so it does not break when u flip it.

Hope that helps u a lil.

That's the way that I do it too. Usually I just leave them covered a bit longer and voila, eggs over easy, or at least they look the same. Most important in producing eggs sunny side or over easy is a good non stick skillet.

cebubird

Ok guess I will buy a little mixing bowl like you guys mentioned. Like I said-NEVER had the problem before here.

Think I will also have wife get some local eggs. We always buy eggs at S&R.

no one

we dont have any problem and we dont use any thing for it 

just brake the egg and fry it :)

maybe 1 out of 20 brakes 

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man

. Usually I just leave them covered a bit longer and voila, eggs over easy, or at least they look the same

Sounds like you lake your eggs 'basted'

Headshot

It is definitely easier breaking eggs into a bowl...but it doesn't have to be a mixing bowl. A small soup bowl works just as well. We have Corning (glass) dishes, and the small bowls work great for this. Breaking them into a bowl also allows you to fish out any egg shell fragments before you cook the eggs. Another tip to get perfect  fried eggs without any uncooked white is to put a tablespoon of water into the frying pan, and secure the lid on the pan. The small amount of resulting steam in the pan will perfectly cook the tops of the eggs without cooking the center of the yolk and without trying to flip the eggs "over easy" (risking a broken yolk during the flip).

Personally, I like my eggs scrambled with junk (chorizo, ham or tocino, onion, bell pepper and tomato all chopped into small bits and cooked with the eggs). That way, I don't have to worry about broken eggs, but I still use the bowl to make sure there are no shell fragments in my eggs.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Paddy

I can finally contribute something Cebu specific!

A couple of years ago we stayed at one of the Mactan resorts. Breakfast was buffet style with some junior chefs doing eggs to order. One of the chefs was a tiny little girl doing the work experience part of her course (cheap resort labour). Her over easy eggs were perfect every time - no water, no bowls. Maybe it's just all in the wrist? I know I can't flip an egg with a guaranteed result (no matter what grade!)

cebubird

Tried some local eggs this morn and they didn'tbreak. VERYsmall eggs tho. Sure would like to have some jumbo like back home.

JSL-USMC

C. Bird. Try eating two for one, i.e., four over easy. Also, buy a heavy non stick skillet....smallish one and and rounded so you can slip the eggs right out. Don't let anyone touch it except you. I break more eggs getting them out of the skillet which shouldn't matter 'cause I'm going to plunge a fork in them soon anyway but they look nicer if you can get them out intact.

Keep on fryin'.

BGG

GoHuk

I agree with the OP.  All the eggs here seem to have thin shells and yolks that do not hold together.  Trying to separate egg white is a nightmare; I have to use four receptacles: one for successfully separated whites, one for the yolks, one for failures (soon to be scrambled egg) and one for the current egg I'm trying to separate.  I would not attempt to do 'over easy' with these eggs; instead I splash hot fat/oil over the top as it's cooking - but even cracking the egg into the frying pan often breaks the yolk.

As for graded eggs, I've never seen any grading here in the Philippines.  Anyway, how do they know the grade without breaking the egg? 

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

The eggs you buy in the market are old. You can tell this when you break them in the pan and they spread out. The white of a fresh egg does not spread out like an older egg. The more it spreads out, the harder it is to flip without breaking the yolk.

• Like 3