bring or leave fancy new $100 bills?

I had no problem getting rid of the old 100's....I just gave them to my girlfriend.

• Like 4

you don't get a better rate for new bills but they can definitely refuse old ones, especially if damaged in some way as in ripped or torn, or with writing on them. $100s can get a better rate than other bills, especially the low ones in some countries like Thailand and Cambodia, though I have not noticed that in the Philippines so much.

I think he was just worried about changers not recognizing the newest US $100 bill design yet vs the previous design used from 1996 until last month... not bills that are actually old and worn.

Had a few of them and no problem with exchange at the two places i went here in Cebu.  In Thailand they use a machine to run the bills through so do not know IF the machines are set for the new ones however

Do you get a better rate when you exchange the Philippines? Otherwise why not just do it at the bank or at the airport before you leave the US?

Do you get a better rate when you exchange the Philippines? Otherwise why not just do it at the bank or at the airport before you leave the US?

Well that could be a bad idea, you are allowed to bring only 10,000 PHP into the philippines

you are allowed to bring in 10,000 USD

Scottiev

The online rate yesterday was floating around 43.71p/$ +/-   ..i got 43.69p/$ at the money exchanger , no fees , no bank rate of exchange ( my bank was barely above 42p/$ , add on the atm fee of 200p).. Airport exchangers are the WORST rates ever , surprised anyone uses them for more than taxi money exchange

Thanks for that information. What about just leaving your money in your US bank and just use plastic (debit/atm)?

Scottiev

Thanks for that information. What about just leaving your money in your US bank and just use plastic (debit/am)?

I did that the first year , then calculated how much it cost me in ATM fee's , bank exchange rates ( always was about %1.5-%2).. remit was only slightly better.. and it works better for me to bring cash as i am only here a few months a year , still have to work in the summers.... i did put a small, hidden ,fireproof safe in my GF's floor when we remodeled it so I have a safe place to keep the cash, only she and I know the combos and where its at .. i save enough on fees and such to pay for a nice weekend at a beach resort..altho if you can keep a large sum in the US bank lots of those fee's will be waived...the best way i have heard and what i will use once i live here full time is having a US$ account and a Piso account then writing a check from your US bank to be deposited in your $ account here( theres a waiting period as i understand before the funds are available) then transferring to your piso account when the exchange rates are favorable. Lots of posts about how to do it here on the forums

The online rate yesterday was floating around 43.71p/$ +/- ..i got 43.69p/$ at the money exchanger , no fees , no bank rate of exchange ( my bank was barely above 42p/$ , add on the atm fee of 200p).. Airport exchangers are the WORST rates ever , surprised anyone uses them for more than taxi money exchange

Where is that money changer?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I did that the first year , then calculated how much it cost me in ATM fee's , bank exchange rates ( always was about %1.5-%2).. remit was only slightly better.. and it works better for me to bring cash as i am only here a few months a year , still have to work in the summers.... i did put a small, hidden ,fireproof safe in my GF's floor when we remodeled it so I have a safe place to keep the cash, only she and I know the combos and where its at .. i save enough on fees and such to pay for a nice weekend at a beach resort..altho if you can keep a large sum in the US bank lots of those fee's will be waived...the best way i have heard and what i will use once i live here full time is having a US$ account and a Piso account then writing a check from your US bank to be deposited in your $ account here( theres a waiting period as i understand before the funds are available) then transferring to your piso account when the exchange rates are favorable. Lots of posts about how to do it here on the forums

...... Thanks for that infomation. Im thinking along those same lines for semi-retirement.
Scottiev

Where is that money changer?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I use the one in Park Mall, its a little booth and they are always pretty close to the online rates.. And no paper work !! hand them the $$ and get pisos back , quick and easy