bring or leave fancy new $100 bills?

be in Cebu Monday...still time to get to chase bank Saturday to pick up two grand. should I bring nice old bills or the fancy new $100 bills. don't want to confuse anybody or get turned down when I exchange for pesos. comments please....thanks jim.

I just arrived a week ago.  I had both bills. There are a few places still not accepting the new bills. I just went next door and no problems. If you are going to be out in the province I think you should have the old bills for a while yet.

I would carry whatever you get from the bank, honestly. If you get the older bills, take 'em. If you get the newer bills, take 'em. Don't go out of your way to get any specific bills, man. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

I just arrived a week ago.  I had both bills. There are a few places still not accepting the new bills. I just went next door and no problems. If you are going to be out in the province I think you should have the old bills for a while yet.

If you arrive in the Philippines with old and new bills, just start spending the new ones first. That way, if you happen to end up at a place where they do not want to take the new bills, you still have the old ones in hand.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

just try and make sure the bills are nice, no tears

RogerDuMond

100 bucks is hundred bucks, whether their old, new or individually wrapped.

Not really. Some places will refuse to take the new design. Since you are going to be at the bank why take the chance with the new design.

Edited by RogerDuMond

Not really. Some places will refuse to take the new design.

Well...it`s not going to change any of its value, just go to next money changer.  Was more referring to getting better change rate as some think they will.   There was one time a rumour going around in AC if you have some crispy new $100 bills you get better rate for them. 

udonthani

you don't get a better rate for new bills but they can definitely refuse old ones, especially if damaged in some way as in ripped or torn, or with writing on them. $100s can get a better rate than other bills, especially the low ones in some countries like Thailand and Cambodia, though I have not noticed that in the Philippines so much.

miles-high

100 bucks is hundred bucks, whether their old, new or individually wrapped.

As long as the scanners or the ink or whatever they use to verify are uptodate in the area you intend to use, no problem... Otherwise, bring the old notes...

* Foreign banks have no legal obligation to accept your "legal" tender, unless they are located in your country...

Edited by miles-high

went to chase bank...it was Saturday morning in eagle point Oregon. the teller just let me look through about 2500 dollars and I picked the really crisp like new old style 100's.

she never took her eyes off me or the money...haha. so am good to go.

thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

be in Cebu Monday...still time to get to chase bank Saturday to pick up two grand. should I bring nice old bills or the fancy new $100 bills. don't want to confuse anybody or get turned down when I exchange for pesos. comments please....thanks jim.

how did it go? did you bring the new colorful ones or the older?

• Like 1
Scottiev

No problems with the new bills at Park mall exchanger.. the only place i had troubles was Hong Kong..go figure lol

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Bring em. I got a bunch from the money changer already yesterday. That is metro MnL but i imagine the changer at rain tree is probably on a similar page.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk