Hello, FNG from Colorado !

stingray615

stingray615

Hi, my name is Ken, I'm 58, single, and retired... actually 100% DAV.  The islands are calling me!  :yahoo:   I've been reading some of your posts, and would like some advice and direction.  I'm sick of the politics here, the materialistic American women, and the rising costs of living.  My only income is my VA pension, and I have no nest egg.  I'd be fine with renting a place in the islands, and exploring as to where I'd like to settle. 

Twice in a week, talking to friends who have been there,  I mentioned the PI as a place I'd like to go, and those people both told me that the place was a ... well a s***-hole.  I'm thinking that they probably didn't get far from Manilla and the slums there, and there has to be nice, friendly places for a guy like me to be.  I'd like to meet a decent gal who won't want me to support her entire family, and have been talking to some online at CB.  From your posts and posts on other sites, Cebu sounds like a great starting point, and I've read to stay away from the southern part of the country, due to extremeists.  Too bad, because they say that it's the most beautiful part of the country.

I'd like to make some friends here and learn what I can about the local customs and people, and how to avoid getting ripped off.  I've read that there are generally two prices on things there... one price for locals, and one price for expats and tourists.  I'd really appreciate some direction here... my timeline... I'm thinking of possibly coming out sometime around April of 2014, and am very open to your advice.  My ideal situation would be to make friends here and to possibly rent a room for a few months to get a  good feel for the place.   Thanks in advance!

Mr. Mike

I guess my previous response got lost, any welcome to the forum Stingray!

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I guess my previous response got lost, any welcome to the forum Stingray!

whatever you say Otis

Hello Ken.

You are lucky to have found the vast amount of good information and advice on this website before visiting The Philippines. You are starting off with a lot more experience than I have had even after many visits. After my first visit I said "Ok interesting ... where to next". It was only after my second visit that something started to tell me "Something nice about this country".

Everyone's experience in a country will be different. If you visit for a vacation you may like it, love it or like your friends you may think it is a s*****le. So I would suggest to you, a vacation and nothing more as your first step.

I hope you like it. 

• Like 1
CardiacKid

My only income is my VA pension, and I have no nest egg.  I'd be fine with renting a place in the islands, and exploring as to where I'd like to settle. 
 Welcome to the Forums Ken. First, you should read the Military Retirees forum  to get a feel of what the VA will do for you here. Click on the Forums tab on the upper left corner of the page and scroll down until you find it. Second, with no nest egg you should read as many posts as possible on "How Much is enough to live on here". If your income is less than $1200 a month you might find it less enjoyable. Prices here are going up just like the States. There is no way to tell if you can enjoy living here without visiting first. A visit of 6 months should let you know if you can tolerate the differences. Keep posting and ask specific questions.  :welcome:
  • Like 1

Welcome Ken,I think you will like it just fine if you have an open mind and adventurist spirit.I have lived in the Pinas for several years and will be returning with my family early next week to Cebu.What I appreciate a lot about the Pinas is that it is so very different then the States and especially that there is no walmart.It always blows my mind when I read of expats that can't wait to get back to the states because it has walmart.The sari sari stores have a much better selection lol.Definitely try to travel around the provinces and even check out Davao.Take your time,relax and learn to make some of the greatest adjustments in your life.Let a lot of what you will experience just slide off ya.This ain't mayberry and that's exactly why my family spends a lot of time in the Pinas.

Edited by Baywak
SkyMan

Welcome Ken.  At 100% you should be fine here and even be able to save some to your nest egg unless you travel a lot and go too wild with partying or whatever.  Come for a long vacation and get around to the province.  Don't just hang out in the city. 

Nangulo

Welcome, Ken.  

Read as much of these forums as you can, and then ask questions.  

Plenty of islands to visit and lots of scenery (and eye candy).  Come for an extended visit and then make a decision. 

• Like 1
stingray615

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcomes!  I'll take your advice and come for a long visit first.  It's really nice to know that I'll have a network of friends already there!!

They say to rent for a while to get a good feel for a place, and that's probably what I'll do, while I save up for a down somewhere.  I'm not a party person, but I like socializing and BBQs etc  ... I'm actually more of a homebody, that likes to have a lot of projects going on at once.  It looks like a small place in a quaint little town would suit me best.... really, I don't like large cities... the traffic, and low lifes kinda ruin it.

Please, if you happen to see something that might fit my budget and needs, and my time frame, I'd appreciate a shout about it.  I'm looking at one of the sites sponsors, (CPSR) and trying to get a feel for the rental prices. My pension is $2800 a mo, but I still have a house payment here too. 

My goal is just to meet a nice girl and build a home with her.... I have no kids, but if she does, it's okay.  BTW, there's no shortage of 20 and up y.o gals on CB that have been hitting on me... I guess that's normal?  Haha, your opinions on THAT would also be greatly appreciated too!I don't wanna get burned, but it sure is tempting!  Whoa... cool down big fella!! hahahaaha

Thanks again and I look forward to making some very good friends here!  As soon as I can find a good free online picture server, I'll upload a few pics..

Ken

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcomes!  I'll take your advice and come for a long visit first.  It's really nice to know that I'll have a network of friends already there!!

They say to rent for a while to get a good feel for a place, and that's probably what I'll do, while I save up for a down somewhere.  I'm not a party person, but I like socializing and BBQs etc  ... I'm actually more of a homebody, that likes to have a lot of projects going on at once.  It looks like a small place in a quaint little town would suit me best.... really, I don't like large cities... the traffic, and low lifes kinda ruin it.

Please, if you happen to see something that might fit my budget and needs, and my time frame, I'd appreciate a shout about it.  I'm looking at one of the sites sponsors, (CPSR) and trying to get a feel for the rental prices. My pension is $2800 a mo, but I still have a house payment here too. 

My goal is just to meet a nice girl and build a home with her.... I have no kids, but if she does, it's okay.  BTW, there's no shortage of 20 and up y.o gals on CB that have been hitting on me... I guess that's normal?  Haha, your opinions on THAT would also be greatly appreciated too!I don't wanna get burned, but it sure is tempting!  Whoa... cool down big fella!! hahahaaha

Thanks again and I look forward to making some very good friends here!  As soon as I can find a good free online picture server, I'll upload a few pics..

Ken

The first advice I can give is to stop using that script font. It is hard for us old guys to read. Welcome to the forum!

• 5 weeks later...
bahalina buong

Welcome!  You can find your own place here, and it might be far away from where you researched.  As they have told you, it's best to come and check it out.  Keep an open mind and learn tolerance.  What is grounds for an ass-whipping in the western-world....well, that's just common behavior here.  Lot's of adjustment to be made.  Myself, I've been suffering in the province (countryside) for 3 years and am learning now that I get along so much better with the more civilized city-dwelling locals.  Much more in common with those people.  That's just my experience and many others feels exactly opposite.  There really is a place for everyone here.   But keep a tight grip on your wallet and get ready for the ride of your life!  Good luck to you.  

Half Baked

Welcome, Ken.

Your quote regarding supporting the family of a nice Filipina girl you hope to find is a little worrisome. Remember, the Philippines is a collectivistic culture, whereas America has an individualistic culture. Here, the saying "you marry the bride, you marry the whole family" is an understatement. You either accept it or you go crazy! So even though the girls you are meeting online are maybe saying the opposite, that's probably the first thing on their mind.

Regardless, glad to have you aboard.

• Like 2
stingray615

Thanks to all for the great welcomes.. I really appreciate them.  I'll just take things as they come, and am beginning to understand the collective nature of these good people.  The family concept is okay, as long as they're not right on top of me! LOL  The worst thing I'm reading about the PI is the corrupt nature of the government..the payoffs, the extra fees, etc.  A while ago I read that it seems like every place that the Spanish touched became corrupt... and looking at the globe... it sounds about right.. no offense meant to modern Spanish folks.

I met a couple nice gals, one in Laguna, and one in Tangub City and want to see where that goes.  From other gals I talk to, they say TC is a war zone and to stay away.. but, I've explained my concerns with my gal, and she said she could relocate to somewhere else that might be more friendly to foreigners.  She said if she thought it was unsafe for me that she wouldn't want me to come there.  A friend that was stationed there told me that it would be good idea to tell locals that I was Canadian or something other than American, because the people largely didn't know a lot about other countries and they would assume that I had a lot of money.

I'm really hoping for some opinions about this, because I'm serious about the move..I figure if I don't do it now, I'll always regret it... but, you're right, I'll come and check it out for a while first.  I posted a kind of picture introduction album for you to see where I'm coming from.. and I'm planning to bring my pooch when the final push happens, so a little advice there would also be appreciated :-) 

bahalina buong

StingRay...the best advice that almost all foreigners will agree upon is don't settle for the first girl you meet here, once you are actually living here.  Chances are, she will be infinitely better than what you can get in your own country, and she will do her best to seal the deal with you.  But just take some time and look around and date a few different girls and figure out the types with which you mesh well.  It's a whole different world here and often one has to unlearn western beliefs to get along happily. If you are looking online, its easy to sort out many of the bad ones. Focus on the ones that actually have a career and are not just killing time until a rich foreigner saves them and their entire extended family from abject poverty.  It's easy to get suckered in, spend all your hard-earned money, and end up with your beloved wife shagging the driver or her "cousin", while everyone involved just laughs at you and keeps spending your money.  If I married some old broad for cash, i damn sure would have a nice little piece on the side.  Why would Filipinas be any different?   That's just the opinion of a foreigner who has lived here for 3+ years and its certainly not my experience, but its one I have seen over and over.  I know guys living here 20 years and they think they know everything and they are oblivious to the fact that their wife is sleeping with everyone in town.  Due diligence cannot be overstressed.  Good luck to you.  It can be a great place here if you set boundaries and take precautions.  Then it's just gravy.  

• Like 2