Philippines Custom on Rental Deposits

smokey

I would be very careful with a Barangay Captain, and I would suggest that you make enquiries first.  Some of these Captains will not see it in their remit to treat you, a foreigner, with equal respect.  I am choosing my words very carefully.

But at least it has been a learning curve.  And you still have the upper hand.

It seems that she wasn't expecting you to stand up to her, and she may well be looking for a way to come out of this not looking like the scumbag that you are suggesting she is.

Get your girlfriend to help you, she's smart (you said) and if she can't help, she must know someone who can perhaps make the old woman see sense?

4,000 peso a month like to see this condo 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

You will not see the deposit. Dont fool yourself.

Nor will any amount of pictures help you. May I suggest you need to start changing your thinking and conditioning yourself for your move. It may seem like some of us arw trying to be pricks here and negative about everything, but we are speaking from experience. At least I am.

You are not there yet, right? How important is it that you secure a place before you arrive? Sounds like your parter is inexperienced with any sort of transaction like this - and even though you may be new to the country you probably have more common sensr about things like this. Being there might save you a lot of frustration. Im not trying to insult your partner - really, this is just normal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Headed that way

Where we will have an advantage at the barangay is that my friend and his wife are residents therefor voters.  The landlady lives an hour a way.  And of course the gf will register to vote there too, coming in from Cebu where she voted for the first time in the October 28th election.

Definitely will let the gf and one of my Filipina employees handle this if we have to go the barangay captain route.

The condos aren't bad for the price.   it is a huge complex that was built before they figured out if there was enough demand.  Maybe 800 units or more?  half empty, thus the low price.   it was a planned community, huge water fountain out front with statues, full commercial shopping center out front, school, even the city moved their city hall there.   Two bedrooms upstairs, both fairly small, maybe 9' x 12' on the larger one, 9' x 7' on the smaller.  Small hallway, stairs of course.  downstairs is a 12' x 20' or so room with a kitchen squeezed in and a laundry room out back, small comfort room with shower.  Stucco exterior, metal roofs, neat looking mostly.  Typical Philippino community, a few roosters tied outside, lots of sari sari stores.   Lots of families with lots of kids.

Headed that way

You will not see the deposit. Dont fool yourself.

Nor will any amount of pictures help you. May I suggest you need to start changing your thinking and conditioning yourself for your move. It may seem like some of us arw trying to be pricks here and negative about everything, but we are speaking from experience. At least I am.

You are not there yet, right? How important is it that you secure a place before you arrive? Sounds like your parter is inexperienced with any sort of transaction like this - and even though you may be new to the country you probably have more common sensr about things like this. Being there might save you a lot of frustration. Im not trying to insult your partner - really, this is just normal.

Lots of truth there.  Gf is a simple country girl, she was convinced that the landlord was doing us a favor by not charging us for two weeks of the six weeks between the time we left the deposit and we got the key.    But it was a learning experience for her and will be an even better one if the landlord does the right thing. 

I won't be living there full time for quite a few years.  Needed to bring the gf up from Cebu to keep the travel costs and hassle down and so that she would be where my friend and employees could help if she needed anything.  I'll be visiting every six weeks or so, gradually working toward every month as I develop the shop there and get containers filled and sent to the U.S..  That is going to take a while and I'll always have to travel back every month to the U.S. to meet the container and deliver the products.

Time will tell if it works out.  One thing for sure, I'll spend some money and have one hell of a time trying.

smokey

Where we will have an advantage at the barangay is that my friend and his wife are residents therefor voters.  The landlady lives an hour a way.  And of course the gf will register to vote there too, coming in from Cebu where she voted for the first time in the October 28th election.

Definitely will let the gf and one of my Filipina employees handle this if we have to go the barangay captain route.

The condos aren't bad for the price.   it is a huge complex that was built before they figured out if there was enough demand.  Maybe 800 units or more?  half empty, thus the low price.   it was a planned community, huge water fountain out front with statues, full commercial shopping center out front, school, even the city moved their city hall there.   Two bedrooms upstairs, both fairly small, maybe 9' x 12' on the larger one, 9' x 7' on the smaller.  Small hallway, stairs of course.  downstairs is a 12' x 20' or so room with a kitchen squeezed in and a laundry room out back, small comfort room with shower.  Stucco exterior, metal roofs, neat looking mostly.  Typical Philippino community, a few roosters tied outside, lots of sari sari stores.   Lots of families with lots of kids.

that will scare her a voter...  better you just move on and fight battles worth fighting 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I wish you Good luck with your venture. You have some balls that's for sure. I dont know anything about your business but from what you described of it its not something id want to get involved with. And ive been in business in the Philippines in various forms for about 7 years and lived there full time for 6. Just a newbie by many measures but managed to have good contacts in a few of the right places - but the only import export I would touch would be under PEZA.

Cheers

Headed that way

Yeah, it is all a gamble but from what I've seen getting stuff out is a lot easier than getting stuff in.  They want the jobs in export industries.

And the good news is that the landlady caved in and agreed to honor our original agreement. 

Being polite but firm got her respect.  For now anyway.  Besides, it is a buyer's market in that development.    I know that they aren't getting a decent return on their investment at 4000 pesos per month, just slowing the bleeding.  But by the time a year rolls around I'll be looking to build a shop/home in the area anyway.